Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Not that anyone would but...  (Read 2766 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Not that anyone would but...
« on: February 12, 2020, 03:36:18 AM »
One thing I'd be curious to know is was there a rule in place on Classic Concentration about Takes being taken. As in my opponent has one, then I match the other while he or she still has the first one.

It would seem pretty odd and out of place (not to mention a dick move on my part), but if I wanted to take his/her Take would I be allowed to, or did they specifically forbid players from doing that?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: Not that anyone would but...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 04:30:54 AM »
You could "take the take", but bizarrely, the one time I saw it happen (below, starting at 4:47), doing that meant you no longer had a take yourself - they just canceled each other out.

https://youtu.be/2f_riug1Ta4?t=286

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLdude

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:45:46 AM »
See, I would've figured if you could take a Take, you could still use the Take you took. (That's a mouthful.)

Makes for an interesting little strategic play, if you were so inclined to protect yourself from getting a prize pulled off your side. Still is kinda dick move-ish, but it's an option.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:02:11 AM »
You could "take the take", but bizarrely, the one time I saw it happen (below, starting at 4:47), doing that meant you no longer had a take yourself - they just canceled each other out.

-Jason

As a statement of pure speculation, given the set in the video, I'm betting it was an early rule that they later rescinded for the sake of 1) streamlining the game and 2) making Takes actually get used for why they were invented.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »
Yeah, the way to protect a prize should be to sit on the Take until your opponent used theirs, then when you get control and make a match, take it back.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chrisholland03

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 03:56:36 PM »
I've wondered what chaos would ensue if in the 2nd game, they replaced the 'Take' cards with 'Board Swap' cards.  Make it playable upon match only, the contestant can choose to swap all of their prizes at that point for all of their opponents prizes at that time. 

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 04:49:22 PM »
As a statement of pure speculation, given the set in the video, I'm betting it was an early rule that they later rescinded for the sake of 1) streamlining the game and 2) making Takes actually get used for why they were invented.

I agree. I think it was at least worth exploring the idea of taking somebody's take and keeping it for yourself to use later, but the prizes bouncing back and forth was much cleaner, and probably more fun in the long run.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:20:47 PM »
I've wondered what chaos would ensue if in the 2nd game, they replaced the 'Take' cards with 'Board Swap' cards.  Make it playable upon match only, the contestant can choose to swap all of their prizes at that point for all of their opponents prizes at that time. 

I'm guessing:

A) it'd be very short-lived, because if you match it first then it's a totally useless tool, and

B) if you get it with nothing showing on your side and your opponent only has small items on the board that you don't want, why would you use it? At least with the Take you can hold onto it and if you have it and the other player picks up, say, the PlayChoice-10 cabinet they had on offer the other day when you get control back, there ya go.

(One thing that always pissed me off about my youth arcade was that they didn't take care of their PlayChoice-10 very well. If I wanted to play glitchy NES titles I'd play them on my own NES. Oh toploader, why did you take so long?)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 09:48:03 PM »
I also wouldn't be in the mood to make a ton of matches or indeed explore any new ground if everything I worked for could be snatched away in one go. (To his credit, Chris H. did mention chaos.)

I can see how the show would adjudicate Taking a Take in either way--it makes sense to cancel out both at the same time, but also to penalize a contestant for not Take!-ing something earlier so now it's gone. The thing about the second Take! is that it takes away another one of those prizes where Gene just names the prize (Five shares of Union Pacific! Season tickets to your favorite California sports team! Two hundred lottery tickets from your friends at The Big Spin!) and they don't really make any money on the plug or get it for free. I can understand them wanting to not have Forfeit pairs on the board because it goes against the fun atmosphere, but they could have made the Take! a use-it-or-lose it thing too.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 03:47:56 AM »

-Jason

And just to confirm, such a situation did come up in the (later of the two?) episodes from Wednesday, where the champ acquired the other Take while the challenger still had theirs and Alex appeared to specify she could only use it for a prize.