Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Record BUZZR Stream - Super Easy Way  (Read 7757 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Record BUZZR Stream - Super Easy Way
« on: February 09, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
This should alleviate any further need for collectors to rely on Youtube uploads before they get zapped by Fremantle:

1) Download VLC Media Player at https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and open
2) Click Media --> Open Network Stream --> enter this link into field: https://buzzr.global.ssl.fastly.net/out/u/buzzr_hls.m3u8
3) Click Record button at the bottom OR Playback in top ribbon, and then select Record
4) Download a program like MP4Splitter to split out episodes from the recorded stream

That's it. The stream is recorded in real time in spectacular quality.
I'd recommend purchasing a dedicated external harddrive as each trimmed 30-minute episode measures about 500MB-600MB.

EDIT: Seriously, do this now, nighttime Tattletales will be on before we know it  ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:27:16 PM by Blanquepage »

tvmitch

Re: Record BUZZR Stream - Super Easy Way
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »
Said it on FB, will say it again here - thanks for this walkthrough.

Instructions differ a bit for the Mac. The process starts at "Advanced Open File..." under the File menu. Then click Network, and paste the URL. The rest of the process is the same.

For me, on the Mac, the stream is then saved in the Playlist view for easy double-clicking later.

Now, if there would be a good way to automate this process on a spare PC in case I forget...
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:30:45 PM »
I might need a little help, because the file I recorded is not something I'd consider acceptable.

For one thing, what I have is a .ts file.  If there's a way to record an mp4 file, that might be all I need, but I didn't immediately see a setting for that in my VLC player.  The file I have plays back somewhat choppily, and refuses to cooperate when I try to dump it into Adobe Premiere.  The video and audio are out of sync in a way that's too complicated to correct.

Any ideas?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Blanquepage

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
I might need a little help, because the file I recorded is not something I'd consider acceptable.

For one thing, what I have is a .ts file.  If there's a way to record an mp4 file, that might be all I need, but I didn't immediately see a setting for that in my VLC player.  The file I have plays back somewhat choppily, and refuses to cooperate when I try to dump it into Adobe Premiere.  The video and audio are out of sync in a way that's too complicated to correct.

Any ideas?

Oh dear. Perhaps your codec is the issue; in Open Network Stream, there's a Capture Device tab. DirectShow is the one currently working for me, is yours set to the same?
I didn't even know it would record in a .ts format. I'm using version 3.0.7.1 and it's coming out in MP4.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 07:49:38 PM »
Old dog, new tricks.  It looks like it might be something as simple as not having the most up-to-date version.  I updated, and I'm recording [most of] Tattletales right now.  We'll see what happens.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:17:47 PM »
Well, I wish I had figured this out before Friday, but updating to the newest version was all I had to do.

Also, ABC needs to bring back Tattletales.

Blanquepage

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »
Well, I wish I had figured this out before Friday, but updating to the newest version was all I had to do.

Also, ABC needs to bring back Tattletales.

Yay, glad it worked. Also,  below are links to download the rarities of the evening for those that didn't get to capture them:

Tattletales PM #3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rWGiApvKPFFrZ5yZQHsL16E327gpE89q/view?usp=sharing
Tattletales PM #16 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TWLoIsIKrMDPUPY3p3fLJ1AHdPheFt2W/view?usp=sharing

#16 is still processing as I type this, just check back in a bit and it should be ready for download.

-Jamie

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
Make sure you set a destination folder for the videos under Tools -> Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Files.  I thought I recorded Tattletales.  I *thought*.

After setting a destination folder, recording properly worked.

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 08:49:10 PM »
You're my hero for telling me the method of doing this, Jamie!!  As someone who doesn't get Buzzr this is the closest thing to it I have for recording and enjoying these episodes on my later free time.  At first I was worried because I recorded the two Tattletales, and then the first Bzzz! afterwards just because, and the video file refused to play, but after a few minutes it finally did.  I'm guessing it just needed to take some time to process since it was a like, 1.6GB file.  Thanks also for the mp4 splitting program recommendation!!
- CC Kirby

Bryce L.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »
I'm guessing it just needed to take some time to process since it was a like, 1.6GB file.
They do take a while to process. And they typically average out to about a gig or so an hour, as a rule of thumb. Case in point, I recorded last night's overnight stuff (midnight to 6 am), and the resulting video file ran to 6:00:12, and is 6.38 GB. A backup drive is a very good idea with these things.

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 09:21:10 PM »
I'm guessing it just needed to take some time to process since it was a like, 1.6GB file.
They do take a while to process. And they typically average out to about a gig or so an hour, as a rule of thumb.

Ah OK, then the 1.6GB size makes sense since I recorded the Bzzz! episode immediately afterwards as well!!  The picture quality really is awesome too.
- CC Kirby

gamed121683

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 05:25:24 AM »
Dear Jamie,

Thank you, thank you, a million times THANK YOU for sharing this trick with all of us! I was able to record not only the Tattletales hour last night, but about 95% of the BZZZ-a-thon afterwords. For some reason, it didn't record the last 10 minutes of the night's last episode for me. Fingers crossed someone else got it & it'll be posted on YouTube somewhere along the line.

Once again, muchas gracias.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
This is really great news! Thanks!

Is there a simple way to figure out how to extrapolate it to other streams than Buzzr?
czambo@mac.com

Blanquepage

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 09:42:54 AM »
This is really great news! Thanks!

Is there a simple way to figure out how to extrapolate it to other streams than Buzzr?

I'd think it's just a matter of obtaining the link of the streaming video from the page source on the site with the video.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »
1) This is amazing. Biggest thank you!
2) Curious as to the easiest way to remove commercials from the recorded videos.  Not really wanting to hang on to 10-20 minutes of ads per video (plus would like to remove them from some others) and curious how y'all go about it. (Edit: I'm on Mac)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:50:51 AM by Chelsea Thrasher »