Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Was that the same contestant?  (Read 2499 times)

Clay Zambo

Was that the same contestant?
« on: February 04, 2020, 10:54:28 PM »
I had Buzzr on in the background while making dinner tonight and caught just the end of Sale, as Jim awarded trip tickets to the day’s champion, a woman named Chu-chu (sic). I thought, “Gee, that’s an unusual name—hey, wasn’t that the name of the woman who won yesterday’s Password Plus?” So I came back at 8 for PP, and sure enough, she was there.

I know it’s not unusual for contestants to appear on multiple games, but it seemed like an odd coincidence for Buzzr to run both appearances on the same day.
czambo@mac.com

Sodboy13

Re: Was that the same contestant?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 11:19:22 PM »
I know Leland Yang shows up early in the run of Password Plus, about a year or two before he racked up $120,000 from the same network and same production company on Blockbusters.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:35:17 PM »
EDIT: wow my original post came off a lot more heavyhanded than at first glance. Wasn't my intent to jump on Sodboy like that. Mea culpa.

Maybe I should've said it like this: "Are there any other times this happened? Just coincidental scheduling of someone's multiple spots, not how many have had them because we would be here for years?" Might not be any better but...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:36:38 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 06:46:17 AM »
About 20 years ago on GSN, the same contestant was on Match Game '7X and The $100,000 Pyramid on not just the same day, but on consecutive half hours.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »
About 20 years ago on GSN, the same contestant was on Match Game '7X and The $100,000 Pyramid on not just the same day, but on consecutive half hours.

So we do think this is just an odd coincidence, right?
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »

Nope! Irony. Absolute and complete irony.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »

Nope! Irony. Absolute and complete irony.

Dontcha think?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 06:38:14 PM »
I will say this though- Sale sure did seem to have a lot of.champs who either had been on shows or would go on to be on others.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 01:17:26 AM »
I will say this though- Sale sure did seem to have a lot of.champs who either had been on shows or would go on to be on others.
I think it makes sense. Just thinking about Sale winners who pulled down $150k and $140k that made their way over to the $25,000 or $100,000 Pyramid it stands to reason that bright and expressive contestants will be bright and expressive on another show--Sale of the Century is about being engaged with the world around you and so is Pyramid and neither show is really a deep dive like Double Dare or Jeopardy.

I look at someone like Marvin Shinkman and if I see that he was on Split Second and Double Dare and know that he gives good reactions and is also knowledgeable then I would be more likely to throw him a bone for Jeopardy. It's certainly more interesting when one of Super Password's champions makes her way to Millionaire's table o' fun, but I have to think that "lay out all of the game shows you've been on over the years" is also a CV to lay out previous successes in addition to making sure that contestants aren't hogging appearances too much.
Travis L. Eberle