Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you remember BZZZ!?  (Read 7671 times)

Bryce L.

Re: Do you remember BZZZ!?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »
For those of us who don't have BUZZR, I hope it will eventually find its way to youtube afterwards.
I'm sure I can help it get there, if VLC media player holds out.

That Don Guy

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:20:02 PM »
If the Wikipedia is to be taken seriously, Fremantle does has a stake in TorC. If they did actually buy out the Edwards catalog, then I, for one, would rather see TorC or "Cross-Wits" than "Bzzz!"

Which versions would still exist? I'm familiar with the mid-1970s Bob Hilton half-hour weekly syndicated one, and there was one a few years after that (can't remember who hosted it), but would the Barker hour episodes still exist?

JakeT

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 09:34:39 PM »
Which versions would still exist? I'm familiar with the mid-1970s Bob Hilton half-hour weekly syndicated one, and there was one a few years after that (can't remember who hosted it), but would the Barker hour episodes still exist?

"Barker hour episodes"?  I don't recall it ever being more than a half-hour...

JakeT

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »
Which versions would still exist? I'm familiar with the mid-1970s Bob Hilton half-hour weekly syndicated one, and there was one a few years after that (can't remember who hosted it)

Larry Anderson; 1987.

snowpeck

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »
If the Wikipedia is to be taken seriously, Fremantle does has a stake in TorC. If they did actually buy out the Edwards catalog, then I, for one, would rather see TorC or "Cross-Wits" than "Bzzz!"

From what I've heard, a surprising amount of the Barker era does exist.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »

From what I've heard, a surprising amount of the Barker era does exist.

I would bet a significant chunk of Barker's syndicated run still exists for the same reason many syndicated shows survived.  The entire method of distribution was to preserve them in a physical form and ship them out to stations.

Martin Grams has just written a book about the show that promises a "detailed episode guide."  I bet if somebody reached out to him, he could tell you what's survived.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 12:27:28 PM »
Does Fremantle have an ownership stake in Edwards-Billett?

Agreed. “Bzzz!” is a nice obscurity, and it holds some nostalgic value for me, but other than that, I’ll take some of Ralph’s others shows any day of the week.
I guess it's possible Buzzr might show some Cross-Wits episodes at some point if they have any available (were the 1970s episodes the ones that showed up on obscure cable channels a few years back, or were those the 1980s episodes?). Can't see what else in the Edwards files would be avaialble and useful.

At least Annie Wood seems happy about this.

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 12:40:08 PM »

Agreed. “Bzzz!” is a nice obscurity, and it holds some nostalgic value for me, but other than that, I’ll take some of Ralph’s others shows any day of the week.
I guess it's possible Buzzr might show some Cross-Wits episodes at some point if they have any available (were the 1970s episodes the ones that showed up on obscure cable channels a few years back, or were those the 1980s episodes?). Can't see what else in the Edwards files would be avaialble and useful.
Nope. That was the Sparks version.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »

Nope. That was the Sparks version.
But at the same time, the Clark version would work beautifully for a "Lost and Found" event.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
But at the same time, the Clark version would work beautifully for a "Lost and Found" event.

There are almost certainly a few Clarks, partly for the reasons I mentioned before, and partly because I'm aware that about a dozen are floating around. (though I don't have them...)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 02:09:57 PM »

There are almost certainly a few Clarks, partly for the reasons I mentioned before, and partly because I'm aware that about a dozen are floating around. (though I don't have them...)
IIRC, didn't some of their past obscurities come from someone here on the Forum (I'm thinking the Goodson pilots from the late-80s)? Or am I thinking of GSN?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chrisholland03

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 03:18:43 PM »

IIRC, didn't some of their past obscurities come from someone here on the Forum (I'm thinking the Goodson pilots from the late-80s)? Or am I thinking of GSN?

Both of your answers can be correct :)

snowpeck

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 02:13:06 PM »
Per Buzzr's Facebook page, Bzzz! will be joining their regular lineup starting Saturday, February 15, at 7 p.m. Eastern.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bobby B.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »
I never watched an actual episode of Bzzz!, but I remember seeing clips all the time on the late 90's GSN show that recapped each day's game show episodes.  I think it was called GameWorld.

TimK2003

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
IIRC, they had a pretty decent music cue that was played under the first round introductions. 

And yeah, the show blended in with many of those 90's dating shows but it wasnt painful to watch by any means.  Annie did a good job at keeping it moving.