Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 70s Tattletales...  (Read 8485 times)

JakeT

70s Tattletales...
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:14:54 PM »
It's easy to forget just how damned charming "Tattletales" was...

And what a pleasant reminder to get...

JakeT

PPatters

Re: 70s Tattletales...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:30:42 AM »
I absolutely agree. I love ‘70s Tattletales. I don’t want to seem dense, but was this inspired by something specific or just the general greatness of the show?
Patrick

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 10:36:49 AM »
Tattletales was a reworked and improved version over "He Said She Said." Audience members were now awarded cash, and Bert Convy turned out to be a very good host for this show.

I remember seeing this show in person in 1977. Each section, one at a time, would go to the check machine to get their winnings. Checks were made "payable to bearer" and were with Crocker Bank. There were also people checking to make sure the same people did not show up in the audience every time.

That Don Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »
I remember seeing this show in person in 1977. Each section, one at a time, would go to the check machine to get their winnings. Checks were made "payable to bearer" and were with Crocker Bank. There were also people checking to make sure the same people did not show up in the audience every time.

I always wondered; how did they decide which audience member got the "consolation prizes"?

Casey Buck

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 07:36:02 PM »
I always wondered; how did they decide which audience member got the "consolation prizes"?
"A member of the winning rooting section, chosen at random":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy2_WagfZ50

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:36:46 PM »
Reading in one of the several Jeopardy books I presume that it is done similar to how J! did door prizes--Card Sharks would give away stuff to "a representative of our polling group will receive (whatever)."
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
Tattletales has always been one of my favorite under-the-radar gems, and I still maintain a revival would be worth a shot.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 09:00:52 PM »
Tattletales has always been one of my favorite under-the-radar gems, and I still maintain a revival would be worth a shot.

I pretty much binged all the TT episodes on Amazon Prime within a few days. 

There were some great celebrity partners over the series that were a hoot to watch.  The Gautiers, Stiller and Meara, The Brills, and then some celebs from left field who never did/rarely did other game shows.

JakeT

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
There were some great celebrity partners over the series that were a hoot to watch.  The Gautiers, Stiller and Meara, The Brills, and then some celebs from left field who never did/rarely did other game shows.

This past Saturday night, I just fell in love with Cathy Rigby and her husband Tommy...adding Betty and Allen to the mix was a great bonus...

JakeT

Casey

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »
I love this show as well.  They had a good set of regulars, who were all enjoyable and clearly enjoyed the game (Charlie Brill & Mitzi McCall, Patty Deutsch and Donald Ross, Scoey and Claire Mitchlll, etc.) but they were able to get celebrities who didn't seem to turn up on other shows very often, like Cathy Rigby, or Monty Hall.  It's a charming show.

carlisle96

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »
Reading in one of the several Jeopardy books I presume that it is done similar to how J! did door prizes--Card Sharks would give away stuff to "a representative of our polling group will receive (whatever)."

you got a raffle-style ticket when you entered the studio and the announcer drew one out of a bowl at  the end of the taping. I missed getting a refrigerator by one number at a Body Language taping

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 03:10:27 PM »
I always liked the show and I prefer the 70s version over the '80s, for such things as staging, theme music, choices of celebrity couples, etc.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »
I love this show as well.  They had a good set of regulars, who were all enjoyable and clearly enjoyed the game (Charlie Brill & Mitzi McCall, Patty Deutsch and Donald Ross, Scoey and Claire Mitchlll, etc.) but they were able to get celebrities who didn't seem to turn up on other shows very often, like Cathy Rigby, or Monty Hall.  It's a charming show.
Speaking of Mitzi and Charlie, yesterday was their 60th wedding anniversary.

https://www.newsfromme.com/2020/01/25/mitzi-n-charlie/

JohnXXVII

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 03:43:51 AM »
I wish I could share the love for Tattletales, but it just seems so mediocre to me, I'm afraid.. I was watching the episodes over the weekend on Buzzr, and not even Match Game regular Richard Dawson in his prime could save this show from being a turkey.

It just tries too hard to be funny, to push the envelope like Match Game, and it doesn't work. It's the host, the writing, the format. The original format, from the first 16 weeks, was a little more zany. The second format, with all multiple choice quickies, is rarely as funny. And the questions are so poorly written sometimes, so obvious and/or embarrassing and/or unfunny, you feel for the celebs to have to deal with them.