Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Highest Profile Game Show Host?  (Read 3379 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Highest Profile Game Show Host?
« on: January 15, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »
With Jimmy Kimmel getting the gig as the new host of Millionaire, it got me wondering- what game show host had the highest “celebrity” profile when signing up to host a game show? Historically there have been a number of hosts who sign on before (Johnny Carson) or after (Joel McHale) their career peak, but who signed on during that sweet spot in the middle?

I’m thinking Ellen and Michael Strahan come to mind, but I’m not even sure Michael was as popular as he is now when he signed on for Pyramid.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tpirfan28

Re: Highest Profile Game Show Host?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
Regis?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Fedya

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:35:54 PM »
Groucho Marx?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
or after (Joel McHale) their career peak

Joel might not agree with this statement.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »
I’m thinking Ellen and Michael Strahan come to mind, but I’m not even sure Michael was as popular as he is now when he signed on for Pyramid.
I'd make a case for Michael. He had Regis's old job alongside Kelly Ripa, plus the FOX NFL gig.

How about Drew Carey or Wayne Brady? Neither were what I'd considered "washed-up" when they took on their respective shows? At that point, Wayne was only a few years removed from his infamous Chappelle's Show sketch.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »
How about Steve Allen taking over IGAS in 1964?  It might not have been his career peak, but he was certainly still in demand at the time; he'd just left the syndicated Steve Allen Show and would get new talk/variety series later in the decade.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 05:33:52 PM »
Anthony Anderson,  blackish was his first successful staring role.

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »
Alec Baldwin was nominated for an Academy Award and won two Emmys for his acting before hosting Match Game.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »
I like Groucho and Baldwin as answers. I'd also like to add that Ryan Seacrest hosted a quiz show after he became Ryan Seacrest.
This signature is currently under construction.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 06:39:20 PM »
Baldwin?  It is a running gag on Match Game that his career is in such decline he has to host a game show to pay the bills.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 06:41:01 PM »
Most histories will say that Groucho was in something of a career slump before agreeing to do You Bet Your Life.  Make no mistake, Groucho was still one of the most famous stars of his time, the Marx Brothers were still making movies, and the game only reinforced his personal stardom.  But the question was looking for that "sweet spot in the middle", and it's not like Groucho went straight from Duck Soup to hosting a quiz.  It was definitely "after their career peak".

Although we're too close to it to judge, you could make an argument that Elizabeth Banks is enjoying career success on many fronts (the Charlie's Angels misfire notwithstanding) while hosting a game show currently.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
Does the current president count?

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
Does the current president count?
Heard he got as high as 15 the other day...

If anything, The Apprentice seemed to revive his career and make him a household name. So....no?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SamJ93

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:53 PM »
Jamie Foxx always seemed like a surprisingly high-profile choice to host Beat Shazam.

And without going into politics re: Trump...I don't really consider The Apprentice a game show, though I'm open to an argument that it is...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 11:06:13 PM »
Even if The Apprentice counted, Trump was in a career slump by that time- he was the laughingstock of the real estate world doing Pizza Hut commercials to stay relevant.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.