The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Highest Profile Game Show Host?

(1/4) > >>

Jeremy Nelson:
With Jimmy Kimmel getting the gig as the new host of Millionaire, it got me wondering- what game show host had the highest “celebrity” profile when signing up to host a game show? Historically there have been a number of hosts who sign on before (Johnny Carson) or after (Joel McHale) their career peak, but who signed on during that sweet spot in the middle?

I’m thinking Ellen and Michael Strahan come to mind, but I’m not even sure Michael was as popular as he is now when he signed on for Pyramid.

tpirfan28:
Regis?

Fedya:
Groucho Marx?

clemon79:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on January 15, 2020, 02:48:11 PM ---or after (Joel McHale) their career peak

--- End quote ---

Joel might not agree with this statement.

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on January 15, 2020, 02:48:11 PM ---I’m thinking Ellen and Michael Strahan come to mind, but I’m not even sure Michael was as popular as he is now when he signed on for Pyramid.

--- End quote ---
I'd make a case for Michael. He had Regis's old job alongside Kelly Ripa, plus the FOX NFL gig.

How about Drew Carey or Wayne Brady? Neither were what I'd considered "washed-up" when they took on their respective shows? At that point, Wayne was only a few years removed from his infamous Chappelle's Show sketch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version