Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jimmy Kimmel to host "Millionaire" 20th anniversary edition w/celebs  (Read 8766 times)

BrandonFG

ABC continues to lead the charge on classic revivals, with a 21st 20th Anniversary revival, premiering in April. The article makes no mention on whether it's staying in Vegas or returning to NYC. Interestingly enough, this allows Millionaire to join the four-decade club.

One interesting wrinkle, this version will feature an app that allows viewers to play along at home. Sounds like the feature the original version had in the early-2000s. "Enhanced TV" I wanna say it was called?

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jimmy-kimmel-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-abc-20th-anniversary-1203460383/?fbclid=IwAR3k2XuPc7aaBPf2rCYCHxWfzEs8QgZf5Grjy4vU3BolY8BagxRKCgxuZXs
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:13:48 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: Jimmy Kimmel to host "Millionaire" 20th anniversary edition w/celebs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »
20⅔th Anniversary?

A bit sad that Chris Harrison wasn't invited back to host, but I'm sure Jimmy will do fine.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

gamed121683

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 03:21:59 PM »
20⅔th Anniversary?

A bit sad that Chris Harrison wasn't invited back to host, but I'm sure Jimmy will do fine.

...or the OG Regis, for that matter. However, I concur Kimmel will do it justice.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 03:46:10 PM »
20⅔th Anniversary?

...or the OG Regis, for that matter. However, I concur Kimmel will do it justice.
Understanding the man is nearly 90 years old, I'm still hoping for a Reege cameo, even if it's a pre-recorded video. It's only fitting in my book, but YMMV.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »
So if one counts Holey Moley as a game show,  ABC will have 10 game shows on this season!

Stackertosh

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 04:14:16 PM »
I figure since Fresh off the Boat did a Millionaire episode the show would return back sooner than later. The Celebrities turn me off i would rather see Civilian contestants.

Jimmy is a pretty good choice i hope he doesn't get political and start whining. I thought Chris Harrison was boring.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 05:48:01 PM »
Why not Tom Bergeron, since Dancing With The Stars is the only time we see him anywhere every year?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:36:26 PM by johnnya2k3 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 05:57:11 PM »
Jimmy is a pretty good choice i hope he doesn't get political and start whining. I thought Chris Harrison was boring.
I'm pretty sure he's not going to do that, considering a quiz show is much different than a late-night talk show or reenactment of a classic sitcom that openly discussed politics. Just like Pat Sajak doesn't inject his politics into a game of Wheel of Fortune.

Why not Tom Bergeron, since Dancing With The Stars is the only time we see him on every year?
Because the producers didn't want him? Besides, between past Oscars telecasts and the recent Norman Lear specials, it looks like ABC wants to promote their late-night host a little more. I see no issue with it.

tomobrien

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 06:02:45 PM »
Understanding the man is nearly 90 years old, I'm still hoping for a Reege cameo, even if it's a pre-recorded video. It's only fitting in my book, but YMMV.

Yes, the play-along game was "Enhanced TV."
Agree with you about a Reege cameo. Like it or not, outside our little game show world, he's still the one most closely associated with the show.

cmjb13

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
A 20th anniversary edition of “Millionaire” will premiere in April, featuring celebrity contestants playing for charity.

The 2020 edition will be executive produced by Kimmel, Michael Davies and Mike Richards

Makes sense
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »
Hey, if anyone needs a former contestatnt to be a Plus One lifeline...  ;) #AskingForAFriend

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 02:42:41 AM »
A WWTBAM revival?  Well, that was fast...
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Stackertosh

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 06:48:48 PM »
Why not Tom Bergeron, since Dancing With The Stars is the only time we see him anywhere every year?

Tom said a few years ago he didn't want to host another Game Show. He also turned down The Price is Right offer so many times.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »
[Tom] turned down The Price is Right offer so many times.
I seem to remember him saying he turned it down because at the time he was very much rooted in New York, then more firmly shut the idea down after being told that they'd move the show there to accommodate him.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

colonial

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 08:04:53 PM »
Tapings for the 20th anniversary shows scheduled for March 13-15 in Culver City. Tickets can be found here …

https://1iota.com/show/1098/who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire?fbclid=iwar23pkf13usrncio8f1hmlt2gxcu28cwv4rqfb4julcjjueqhclfqpnlkra

JD