Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG/HS and Johnny O  (Read 3059 times)

JakeT

MG/HS and Johnny O
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:30:55 PM »
At the risk of the blowback, I will say it...

Thank jeebus for Gene Wood...

JakeT

aaron sica

Re: MG/HS and Johnny O
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:50 AM »
Johnny O and Gene Wood are not necessarily always interchangeable.

GOOD FIT:
Johnny O - The Price is Right, Match Game, Tattletales, Body Language
Gene Wood - Family Feud, Card Sharks

BAD FIT:
Johnny O - Card Sharks
Gene Wood - The Price is Right

daveromanjr

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »
BAD FIT:
BLERG BLERG BLERG BLERG PRICEISRIGHT BLERG BLERG BLERG

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
I like how Johnny Olson sounds on MG/HS but for some reason, despite that he announced for the original MG, he sounds a bit odd on MG/HS...

The announcer has to introduce both hosts, and with Johnny, we're used to "Geeeene Rayburnnn", but with Jon Bauman also in mix, the rhythm is off. I also notice that for the second half, when Johnny says "It's time for more of the Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour", he says faster than Gene did.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »
BAD FIT:
BLERG BLERG BLERG BLERG PRICEISRIGHT BLERG BLERG BLERG

"Here it comes."

whewfan

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 08:47:43 AM »
Johnny O and Gene Wood are not necessarily always interchangeable.

GOOD FIT:
Johnny O - The Price is Right, Match Game, Tattletales, Body Language
Gene Wood - Family Feud, Card Sharks

BAD FIT:
Johnny O - Card Sharks

I thought Johnny didn't sound quite right for the Family Feud pilot. As for Card Sharks, the opening poem's meter has a certain rhythm, and it should match the rhythm of the clapping intro, and Gene had the rhythm perfect. Other announcers that would fill in for Gene, it was off... Gene "read" the poem, while the other announcers "announced" the poem.

Gene Wood didn't have the right inflections for Price. His voice was too coarse.

I never thought Don Morrow sounded right on SOTC. Then again, Jay Stewart, the last couple years he announced, sadly sounded like he was gasping for air.

Other announcers that didn't fit in at all with Price...

Daniel Rosen- He sounded forced. Not at all natural.

Brad Sherwood- Sounded more like a parody of an announcer... noticed some "Don Pardo" in his inflections.

Steve White- Tried to sound like Burton Richardson... and not a very funny stand up comic either. (Saw him live years ago when I used to do stand up)

tvmitch

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
I like how Johnny Olson sounds on MG/HS but for some reason, despite that he announced for the original MG, he sounds a bit odd on MG/HS...

The announcer has to introduce both hosts, and with Johnny, we're used to "Geeeene Rayburnnn", but with Jon Bauman also in mix, the rhythm is off. I also notice that for the second half, when Johnny says "It's time for more of the Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour", he says faster than Gene did.
Randy West has posted often on FB about how Johnny O would mark up his announcer copy with his own shorthand, so he knew where to inflect, emphasize, etc.

I think about that when hearing Johnny announce on MG/HS. I'm not saying Johnny was reading the copy on MG/HS for the first time, but he certainly didn't have the comfort level that he showed on all his full-time shows.

Also, apropos of nothing, I thought Gene did a pretty good job announcing MG90. MG90.
You should follow me on Twitter