Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rather interesting Buzzr poll of FB  (Read 3637 times)

catnap1972

Rather interesting Buzzr poll of FB
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:39:13 PM »
Buzzr is soliciting input on FB via a survey they're doing (linky: https://bit.ly/35BTS7O ).  Mostly the usual "what do you like/don't like", viewing habits, etc, but several pages in you get to a page where they have a page where they ask "what would you like added to the Buzzr schedule".  Some of the choices are rather interesting ones:

Whew!
Scattergories
Wheel of Fortune
High Rollers
Win Ben Stein’s Money
Remote Control
Celebrity Sweepstakes
25 Words Or Less
Shop Till You Drop
The Price Is Right (with host Bob Barker)
Scrabble
Bruce Forsyth’s Hot Streak
Jeopardy!
Liar’s Club
Concentration
(and there's a "None of these" choice)

Naturally, they'll only do what's financially feasible for them (pretty sure J! and WoF ain't happening) but curious that they're looking for input.

JMFabiano

Re: Rather interesting Buzzr poll of FB
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 11:21:05 PM »
Some indeed seem far-fetched (aforementioned WOF and J!), others more realistic (most are Fremantle-owned properties).  Others it wouldn't seem too out of the way for Fremantle to make a play at. 

If we take this as more than hypothetical, what's interesting is...

High Rollers...would that imply that Fremantle did make nice with MGM to get MG/HS on the air again?  (but no Gambit nor standalone HS on the list...) 

Scattergories AND Scrabble...talking to Hasbro or attempting to in the future? 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:54:36 PM »
TPIR is way too obvious of a choice; I'm sure it'll be a matter of when, and not if, Buzzr adds it down the road. I could see "Concentration" being a possibility as well (I assume Narz; G-T produced it and I'd bet the tapes exist). "Hot Streak" would be a good contender for a Lost and Found block, if they do another one (unlike the other listed Grundy productions, there's--to my knowledge--no cross-ownership issue).

I do wonder about ownership (and existing episode status) on "Sweepstakes" (Burt Sugarman??), and "Liar's Club"; sadly I doubt either would have much "out of the fandom" appeal. And I'm sure "Whew!" would be---pun totally intended---a longshot.

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:58:32 PM »
The questions about potentially showing UK and Aussie game shows are interesting too. Adding Play Your Cards Right and Family Fortunes would be much less complicated rights-wise, although converting them from a presumably different video format might be prohibitive.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 10:41:18 AM »
The "High Rollers" version might be with the Winker. From what I heard, most of the Trebek shows were wiped over. I'm wondering if the "Liars Club" could be the version that Allen Ludden hosted.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
Honestly, beyond the fact that it's just a super enjoyable show, I really feel like Remote Control could be a genuine hit for Buzzr if they acquired. Definite "before they were stars" factor, it's one of THE game shows I've seen a ton of Gen X-ers cite when talking about TV and game shows from the past - and I mean honestly Remote Control's central premise is basically *perfect* for where Buzzr has positioned it's brand identity.

Price is Right - most especially with Bob and Drew - would obviously be a slam dunk beyond some things for the lawyers to hash out and whoever's doing their content screening to deal with (furs, the abundance of licensed music the show used for the first 15-20 years)

Win Ben Stein's Money was a relative flop when GSN leased it in the mid 2000s, and that was when the show had literally just gone off the air.  And for various reasons it's a show I've never seen the kind of nostalgia for that you get with something like a Supermarket Sweep. It wouldn't be flagship programming but it could probably find a place as a second tier show (ala Tattletales, Card Sharks, or Classic Concentration) but not sure it'd be worth it.

GSN picked up Shop Til You Drop a few years ago and from what I recall they kept dropping it after only a couple of months with no timeslot really delivering what they thought it would.

A lot of the shows fall into that "Nice to see again but no one was really clamoring for them" category, while a few (Whew!, Hot Streak, Scattergories) were so short lived and obscure that they'd literally just be programming their network for viewers like us - and while I love them for it and wouldn't turn up an opportunity to see any of those three shows (the civilian era of Whew is rightfully beloved, and I have a giant place in my heart for Scattergories), I'm not sure what they're looking to accomplish if they lease them unless their acquisition is tangential to something else. 

Really though, I'd love to see literally any show on that list (save maybe 25 Words) on the channel. 

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 12:48:22 PM »
If they have “scrabble” and pull off the rights to air it, fine.
The one show that I would want to see would be Remote Control.

/The former so I can binge watch the 85 Tournament of Champions again...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:46:20 PM by Strikerz04 »

jage

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
I'm honestly surprised one of the MTV subnets doesn't air Remote Control. Or maybe they don't have the rights? There was also that syndicated season.

Sodboy13

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 11:36:52 PM »
The questions about potentially showing UK and Aussie game shows are interesting too. Adding Play Your Cards Right and Family Fortunes would be much less complicated rights-wise, although converting them from a presumably different video format might be prohibitive.

I was just thinking about this earlier this week. A "Buzzr Round The World" week or weekend similar to Lost & Found could be a pretty good time. Plus, it gives them another way to pop a little TPiR on the schedule.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
Warning: over on FB, this poll mutated into a certain person saying that Fremantle has already negotiated with Hasbro and will be airing Scrabble next year.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 12:45:39 PM »
I find it interesting they put Wheel and Jeopardy on the list but not Pyramid.

/Lost and Found Whew! and Cross-wits...
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
I don't know much about conducting surveys, but it would make sense in a poll like this to include some unrealistic choices, right? If Buzzr only polled the shows that they could theoretically get the rights to, the survey would show unrealistic support for a title that, if acquired, would ultimately underperform on the schedule. With so many choices here, Buzzr gets a better idea of whether it's worth the effort to license something relatively obscure.

Or is my analysis off the mark?