Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odd censorship on MG/HS Hour  (Read 3720 times)

gromit82

Odd censorship on MG/HS Hour
« on: December 13, 2019, 01:18:59 AM »
I'm watching Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour, and while I've occasionally heard (or rather, not heard) words censored out of MG, in this case it sounded like they censored a person's name.

The question was, "Frank the Fighter said, 'You've heard of cauliflower ears. Well, I just went 10 rounds with Mike [audio drops out for censorship], and now I have cauliflower BLANKS."

The contestant said "knees," and so did all six celebrities. So I'm guessing that this was a reference to a short person, but I can't think of a short celebrity from that era named Mike nor can I imagine why his name would be censored nowadays.

This was definitely an intentional censorship rather than an audio mistake -- the word after "Mike" was censored all four times that it would have been spoken.

Does anyone know what might have been said?

Allstar87

Re: Odd censorship on MG/HS Hour
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 01:31:50 AM »
The word was "Midget", which Buzzr has taken to censoring on certain episodes. Off the top of my head, a Match Game PM and a Cullen TPIR have also been censored because of the same word. (The latter due to a car actually called the King Midget.)

gromit82

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 09:28:22 PM »
Allstar: Thanks, that explains it.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »
On the MG '75 episode aired Sunday at 1:30 p.m. EST, the question was something like "Bozo the clown was fired from the circus because the boss didn't like it when Bozo fed _____ to the lions." The contestant said, "Midgets." Her answer and subsequent repetitions of it were not censored.

Allstar87

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 02:17:22 AM »
On the MG '75 episode aired Sunday at 1:30 p.m. EST, the question was something like "Bozo the clown was fired from the circus because the boss didn't like it when Bozo fed _____ to the lions." The contestant said, "Midgets." Her answer and subsequent repetitions of it were not censored.

Yeah, the censoring is definitely not done evenly; it seems to only be done to episodes that have recently been added to the Buzzr rotation. A few months ago the word was kept intact on a Match Game '76. It was part of the question; I don't recall the full question, I just remember Tommy Simmons of Name That Tune fame was one of the contestants.