Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UK Game Show Contestant Quits Midstream  (Read 3105 times)

TimK2003

UK Game Show Contestant Quits Midstream
« on: December 02, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
Not sure how many people follow the UK game show Cash  Trapped, or how the actual format goes, but one contestant opted to remove herself from contention after an extended run.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1212160/Cash-Trapped-Bradley-Walsh-contestant-quits-crying-ITV-video

Kevin Prather

Re: UK Game Show Contestant Quits Midstream
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »
I've often wondered about contestants who were on UK Deal or No Deal, sometimes weeks or even months at a time. That's an awfully long commitment.

Kniwt

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
Left unsaid at the link -- and I don't know the answer -- is how many actual taping days (or calendar days) did it take for those eight shows. Cash Trapped has enough of a (small) history at this point that contestants should have known they could be on for a long time.

Oh look, there's even a YouTube compilation of the last marathon in 2017 that went on with the same contestants -- one who started crying as well -- for 10 shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrz4HZ4GY90

Brig Bother

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »
Certainly they were shooting three episodes of Cash Trapped per day (and Deal or No Deal was similarly recording three - sometimes four a day, on a two weeks on/one week off schedule, so in reality you were usually done and dusted in a fortnight) when it first started shooting, and I've no reason to believe that has changed. Certainly Bradley's very busy in between The Chase and Doctor Who, so I can't imagine they'd want to take knocking them off longer than necessary.

chrisholland03

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 08:34:04 AM »
Someone call Corbin Bernsen.  We now know How Much Is Enough.

Unrealtor

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
Left unsaid at the link -- and I don't know the answer -- is how many actual taping days (or calendar days) did it take for those eight shows. Cash Trapped has enough of a (small) history at this point that contestants should have known they could be on for a long time.

Also unknown is how long she was sitting in the green room before she came up. I'd assume that the unpredictability in how long contestants are on means that they need to have at least a couple additional sets of contestants backstage ready to go at any given moment.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »

Hell, I knew that five minutes into the first episode.

/sadly, the answer was "three minutes."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »

Hell, I knew that five minutes into the first episode.

/sadly, the answer was "three minutes."
That’s a pretty high threshold for pain.

/Said the guy who watched the entire episode
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 08:35:51 PM »
I could genuinely feel their pressure and pain...one hour of that competition is intense...days upon days would have to be agony, even if ya knew that was possible going in...

JakeT

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 09:30:26 PM »
I guess it’s no different than a show like Big Brother, where you might need to be mentally prepared to be in a space for an extended period. Or hey, even the guys that were on Boom for hundreds of episodes (but in their case, at least they were making decent money the entire time).

All that said, I probably couldn’t blame her for her decision. She’s probably not the only one that’s mentally done at that point, and if you don’t feel like you have better than a 1 out of 6 chance at winning, it might be best to cut your losses and go home.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »
This is much more common here in Italy, where most games are designed to keep champions around for a long time. L'Eredità for instance has 7 contestants and the top 3 return the next day. Every once in a while one retires because of stress or simply because they ran out of days off at work.

Recently a school teacher decided to retire after 17 episodes. Before his final game he gave a heartfelt speech about kids education ("teaching them to pick up not knives, but books"). 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbSKMcaooE
In the end he won that game but lost the bonus round again (0 for 11 attempts) ending his run with zero winnings. The host presented him with a wooden shovel ("it's like a rugby wooden spoon, but bigger")

I've often wondered about contestants who were on UK Deal or No Deal, sometimes weeks or even months at a time. That's an awfully long commitment.

On the similar Italian edition, if a candidate is temporarily unable to show up, they use a cardboard cutout as a placeholder.
https://media.tvblog.it/e/ee7/0907_205358_affari-tuoi.jpg (same host!)