Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WoF 11/22 POSSIBLE SPOILER!  (Read 7194 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: WoF 11/22 POSSIBLE SPOILER!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 08:22:19 PM »
I didn't go literally because royalty, to me, implies rule by a king and/or queen, and the Philippines is not a monarchy.

Oh, fair cop. I interpreted that as applying to the "getting paid" part, not the "no for reals we aren't a dictatorship!" part. We regret the error. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 09:04:29 PM »

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 12:47:41 AM »
Wow. I really hate how this story went. I *hate* this being called a technicality. It's not. It's the rules as written and adhered by for over 40 years. The number of people who are seemingly ready to toss the foundation of the damn game because someone made a mistake that plenty have made in the past is infuriating. And the fact that we're rewarding such failure is profoundly disappointing.

I feel sorry for her, I was mortified of making the same kind of mistake, but she's not the first and won't be the last to make this mistake. Screw this news cycle for picking this up like this. It's Thanksgiving Week and the President committed bribery and we latch onto this *this* hard?

*counts to 10*

But I guess that's good publicity for Wheel and Sony and proof that people still watch the show. I hope she enjoys her trip.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

jage

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 01:38:42 AM »
Cool story actually. Didn't think Sony would do this and they didn't, but smart of the Nashville tourism people to make it happen. Nice free pub.

aaron sica

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 06:44:24 AM »
Wow. I really hate how this story went. I *hate* this being called a technicality. It's not. It's the rules as written and adhered by for over 40 years.

1000% agree. I remember a few flubs over the years where words were added and the contestant penalized......Are they going to find all those contestants and get them their prizes back? Not sure why THIS one is any different...

chrisholland03

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 07:10:52 AM »
I agree this was a run-of-the-mill flub, but I also think it's a terrible category. I hope the noise generated will influence its demise.

KrisW73

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 11:06:45 AM »
I agree this was a run-of-the-mill flub, but I also think it's a terrible category. I hope the noise generated will influence its demise.

Why do you think it's a terrible category? It worked on the German version pretty well

(Granted, with a tweak on the rules...) 

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 11:19:34 AM »
Honestly, the way they do it, 50% of the time Crossword just seems like a way for them to use Fill in the Blank puzzles they've come up with since they retired the category and they're too cheap to bring back any of the bonus categories. But apparently they can give away an extra $3K a day now. Sure.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
1000% agree. I remember a few flubs over the years where words were added and the contestant penalized......Are they going to find all those contestants and get them their prizes back? Not sure why THIS one is any different...
There were some cases where if Pat began the lead-in with "what do we have up there?" that the judges would accept a leading "A" or "An" if it made the response grammatically correct.
Travis L. Eberle

nowhammies10

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
There were some cases where if Pat began the lead-in with "what do we have up there?" that the judges would accept a leading "A" or "An" if it made the response grammatically correct.

This was super common in the '80s when Pat would lead with "Only vowels now, so for $850, what's this Thing?"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »
I want to say someone earlier this year started with an "Is it" and it was accepted.
This signature is currently under construction.

chrisholland03

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
Honestly, the way they do it, 50% of the time Crossword just seems like a way for them to use Fill in the Blank puzzles they've come up with since they retired the category and they're too cheap to bring back any of the bonus categories. But apparently they can give away an extra $3K a day now. Sure.

This sums up my feelings pretty well.  I much prefer a 4 row Fill in the Blank read linearly to a visual jumble of words.  Just a preference, I suppose.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 02:44:08 PM »
I want to say someone earlier this year started with an "Is it" and it was accepted.

That should be; it's asking if the solve is correct, not adding stuff not there.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »

It a budget-saving measure, since it's easy to get stuck on a single word, flub the last letter or two, and then the next person only gets the house minimum.

Loogaroo

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »
What's to stop them from just doing a "Common Bonds" category? Nobody is saying you have to make it a bonus for guessing the commonality, especially since figuring it out just makes solving the rest of the puzzle that much easier. This way you don't have to drill it into the contestants' heads about the peculiarities of reading off a crossword puzzle and they can just read it left-to-right, top-to-bottom like any other English speaker would.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".