Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WoF 11/22 POSSIBLE SPOILER!  (Read 7191 times)

DjohnsonCB

"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

WhammyPower

Re: WoF 11/22 POSSIBLE SPOILER!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
No, the article clearly states that it is (and is easily confirmed to be) from Thursday's show.

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 10:52:09 PM »
By no means a technicality but is instead a well-established rule...you say EXACTLY what is on the puzzle board...no more, no less...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:19:05 AM »
Pat told her not to add anything to the answer, so while it's unfortunate, rules are rules.

ObSnark: I know it's because of the 24/7 media cycle, and the sites gotta fill the void, but I really miss the days when a bad game show answer or whatever Youtube clip was not considered news.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

danderson

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 01:35:11 AM »
Have they ever on the show said that you have to solve the puzzle as it is shown?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 01:44:39 AM »
Yes. Repeatedly.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 08:00:47 AM »
I'm sure there are others here who know, but I seem to remember this not being the first time that an "and" was tossed into the solution for one of the Crossword puzzles. Why is it a big deal this time?

That Don Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »
Have they ever on the show said that you have to solve the puzzle as it is shown?
IIRC, the rule goes back to the Woolery days; on one show, someone answered "Tweedledee and Tweedledum" to the puzzle "Tweedledum and Tweedledee," and they accepted it, but the next day, Chuck began adding, "You have to solve the puzzle exactly as it appears on the puzzle board."

The one time I've seen it called in the Sajak era, other than for pronouncing something wrong, was when somebody added "The" to the beginning of "Atlanta Falcons."

byrd62

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
IIRC, the rule goes back to the Woolery days; on one show, someone answered "Tweedledee and Tweedledum" to the puzzle "Tweedledum and Tweedledee," and they accepted it, but the next day, Chuck began adding, "You have to solve the puzzle exactly as it appears on the puzzle board."

The one time I've seen it called in the Sajak era, other than for pronouncing something wrong, was when somebody added "The" to the beginning of "Atlanta Falcons."

And if you thought that was something, I point out once more, for perspective's sake, a similar instance from a 2008 Filipino Wheel episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGBdBAAjL2Q

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »
I'm sure there are others here who know, but I seem to remember this not being the first time that an "and" was tossed into the solution for one of the Crossword puzzles. Why is it a big deal this time?
Nothing can be just a small deal anymore. Pre-internet it was just a thing you saw on TV and reacted to among your friends and family.

Man I kinda pine for those days some times.
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 09:22:15 PM »
And if you thought that was something, I point out once more, for perspective's sake, a similar instance from a 2008 Filipino Wheel episode.
As an aside, Kris Aquino must be paid by the YELL.  It pays to be the offspring of Filipino political royalty, figuratively.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
I haven't watched any this season, but I know Pat said "Don't add anything" as a contestant went to solve a Crossword puzzle roughly 100% of the time on the episodes I saw.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 11:16:47 PM »
It was my recollection that not only does Pat tell you not to add anything, but the coordinators go over all the categories in rotation and make sure to emphasize not adding anything to any of the puzzles, but especially the Crossword.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 12:39:17 PM »
It pays to be the offspring of Filipino political royalty, figuratively.

This is actually one of the rare instances where "literally" would have been wholly appropriate. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 05:24:21 PM »
It pays to be the offspring of Filipino political royalty, figuratively.

This is actually one of the rare instances where "literally" would have been wholly appropriate. :)
I didn't go literally because royalty, to me, implies rule by a king and/or queen, and the Philippines is not a monarchy.