Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament  (Read 27536 times)

whewfan

Re: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »
I noticed that there's only one episode scheduled to air this upcoming Tuesday. Is the tournament now going to air weekly on Tuesdays?
According to whom? Every listing I've seen (including on ABC.com) has the tournament scheduled Tues-Fri at 8 p.m.

My local listings had the GOAT only scheduled for today, thus my suspicions that today's episode would be the last of the tournament, and thus, spoiling the outcome.

cmjb13

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »
I’m not sure if this means anything, but the DirecTV listings only shows 4 dates

1/7, 1/8, 1/9, and 1/14

So maybe the first person to win 2 games will ultimately be the winner?

I didn’t check the DTV listings to see if anything was on the schedule past 1/14.

Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

bwood

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
My DirecTV listings always had it scheduled all four possible days this week as to not spoil the outcome. I just checked and no changes have been made to the listings. It still shows it on the schedule Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

trainman

« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2020, 02:05:06 AM »
My DirecTV listings always had it scheduled all four possible days this week as to not spoil the outcome. I just checked and no changes have been made to the listings. It still shows it on the schedule Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

In fact, my DirecTV DVR recorded the nonexistent Wednesday episode. Their listings provider -- which is TMS (formerly Tribune Media Services) -- is usually better than that at pushing through last-minute changes.

TMS also provides listings to a lot of newspapers, and the TV page in Wednesday's Los Angeles Times listed Game 5 as a highlight, with no "as necessary" qualification. (Somewhat more understandable than the DVR situation, since the L.A. Times seems to produce the daily TV listings 48 hours in advance.)

trainman is a man of trains

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2020, 02:35:08 AM »
Brandon Larracuente's expression there accurately reflects the way my face looked while I tried to comprehend the material being playing during this tournament.

JakeT

« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2020, 07:33:52 PM »
In fact, my DirecTV DVR recorded the nonexistent Wednesday episode. Their listings provider -- which is TMS (formerly Tribune Media Services) -- is usually better than that at pushing through last-minute changes.

AT&T uVERSE also recorded the fill-in sitcoms last night as part of my J! GOAT season pass...on a lark, I decided to try to watch what was recorded instead ("The Goldbergs"\"Schooled")...what a wonderfur reminder of why I NEVER waste time with those...sooooo horrible!

JakeT

JohnXXVII

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »
I think they should have aired this show weekly. It would have kept it in the public consciousness a bit longer.

I also think they made a mistake calling it the "Greatest of All Time." Such hyperbole, and it needlessly closed off a lot of future possibilities.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »
I also think they made a mistake calling it the "Greatest of All Time." Such hyperbole, and it needlessly closed off a lot of future possibilities.
Such as what? Jeopardy won't exist as we know it in a few years. Also:

One contestant set a win streak that nobody in fifteen years has gotten within 50% of reaching.

One contestant had a mega-tournament performance level you could set an atomic clock to.

One contestant had a mean and median average win level just higher than Roger Craig's $77,000 then-record.

There will be other big winners but I think those three will be the contenders for GOAT for a while.
Travis L. Eberle

JakeT

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2020, 09:35:21 PM »

Certainly no more hyperbolic than American (and a bit of Canadian) baseball having an annual "World Series"...

It's television...hyperbole is its lifeblood...

JakeT

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »
Certainly no more hyperbolic than American (and a bit of Canadian) baseball having an annual "World Series"...

It's television...hyperbole is its lifeblood...
And named after a newspaper at that! What horrendous conceit! /s

/Actually, the World Baseball Classic is a neat idea that I hope stays around for a long time.
Travis L. Eberle