Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament  (Read 27526 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2020, 01:46:49 PM »
Do we know how many episodes of this were taped each day?

Schedule had 2 a day.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

calliaume

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2020, 01:51:40 PM »
I dunno who said it, but once upon a time, folks also said remaking “Match Game” and “The Gong Show” would be like trying to capture lightning in a bottle. They were halfway right. :P
That's me (more or less).  From an uncamark post in 2007:

As Curt has often said about "The Gong Show," "MG '73" was lightning-in-a-bottle that would be hard to duplicate.

I don't think I pictured Alec Baldwin being Match Game's savior at that point.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
I'm the one who said game shows were too niche of a thing for people to post episodes of on YouTube, so, erm, checkmate? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
I dunno who said it, but once upon a time, folks also said remaking “Match Game” and “The Gong Show” would be like trying to capture lightning in a bottle. They were halfway right. :P
That's me (more or less).  From an uncamark post in 2007:

As Curt has often said about "The Gong Show," "MG '73" was lightning-in-a-bottle that would be hard to duplicate.

I don't think I pictured Alec Baldwin being Match Game's savior at that point.
Now it's coming back to me. I think you made that observation on your Game Shows '75 page. But in all fairness, a lot of the MG revivals, even MG/HS Hour, failed to capture what made the 70s version worked. And that was at a time when Pearson/Fremantle didn't seem to know what made the classics work either.

Having a few of us geeks on the staff made a huge difference.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »
Wrong predictions aside, did anyone see Barker announcing his retirement in 2006?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
Do we know how many episodes of this were taped each day?
Schedule had 2 a day.
-Jason
That seems consistent with what Ken described during his interview on Wednesday.

NB: I was able to find a list of the 100 most watched shows of last season. Forget the NBA, Jeopardy is more popular than football.
This signature is currently under construction.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »
I'm the one who said game shows were too niche of a thing for people to post episodes of on YouTube, so, erm, checkmate? :)

To be fair, that was probably before we realized there's literally nothing that people won't post on YouTube.

calliaume

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:29 PM »
To be fair, that was probably before we realized there's literally nothing that people won't post on YouTube.
I can confirm this to be true after searching the words “lint belly button.”

Unrealtor

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
I think that match three is the first time I remember seeing all three contestants risking it all in the first FJ of a two-game match.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

JakeT

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2020, 11:26:37 PM »
Dammit...I have to be smart enough not to hover over the spoiler...

Damn damn damn...

My bad...and my thanks for not revealing any more than you did...

JakeT

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2020, 01:05:18 AM »
Among the many interesting bits about this tournament is the effect of the longer, often-celeb-read clues. A perhaps unforeseen challenge in playing them is managing to remember at the end just what the heck was actually being asked about. The Audible audiobooks category in particular was tough for that reason, for me. In this specific scenario, it comes across more as a welcome challenge than not, IMO, but interesting nonetheless.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

weaklink75

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »
Anyone think the reason why ABC changed the original schedule (which had an episode tonight- but they changed it after they had taped everything) to not having the next episode until next Tuesday is that ABC wanted the extra promo time if it wasn't a sweep? For example, I have a hunch ESPN is going to have James on this weekend to give his thoughts on the CFP Championship game (and hype game 4 on Tuesday)..

And frankly, I'm a bit shocked Brad is doing so poorly- don't know if he's just not buzzing in quick enough or he's having terrible luck on DD's....

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »
Anyone think the reason why ABC changed the original schedule (which had an episode tonight- but they changed it after they had taped everything) to not having the next episode until next Tuesday is that ABC wanted the extra promo time if it wasn't a sweep?

Absolutely.  This has succeeded beyond everybody's expectations, and they're jockeying for a way to milk it for all they can.  Friday is traditionally an underperforming day of the week.  I would go so far as to say -- and this is not a spoiler because I have absolutely no idea -- that if I was ABC's programmer, and I knew that Ken was going to win the next game and the championship, this is exactly what I would do with that episode.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
And frankly, I'm a bit shocked Brad is doing so poorly- don't know if he's just not buzzing in quick enough or he's having terrible luck on DD's....
He's been getting tons of DD's - 9 of the 18 thus far, in fact - but he's only gotten 4 of them right.  And the ones he is getting right aren't helping him because he's falling into too deep of a hole (he got both DD's right in the DJ! round yesterday but was still well behind Ken's score in that game, let alone the gap he had to cover from the first one).

tvmitch

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »
He's been getting tons of DD's - 9 of the 18 thus far, in fact - but he's only gotten 4 of them right.  And the ones he is getting right aren't helping him because he's falling into too deep of a hole (he got both DD's right in the DJ! round yesterday but was still well behind Ken's score in that game, let alone the gap he had to cover from the first one).
I'll add to this that Brad has had the "unfortunate" luck of hitting these DDs very early in the rounds as well. The entire tournament may have changed if Brad hit these DDs later on in the matches, and of course, got them right.
You should follow me on Twitter