Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament  (Read 27496 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
Wow....first night ratings are in- and the fast nationals are off the charts...

The demo shares are the real story here.  Jeopardy (and to a degree, all game shows) takes a hit for skewing "too old," but that sure wasn't the case last night.  Total dominance with the under-50 crowd as well as the over-50 crowd.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »
Missed the first night - actually, I'll probably miss most nights (I'm in a new job, and I'm not home now until close to 8 PM Central time) - does anybody have a streaming link that isn't locked up? (I'm not worried about spoilers - somebody on my Facebook feed spoiled it early anyway.)

jage

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »
Disagree on the FJ theme, and it's now my ringtone.
It sounds a bit faster because of the background notes which are fast-paced 16th notes, but the speed is still the same. The main theme is amazing.
Agreed 100%. Could you share please?
From Chad Mosher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAopae-9Kgw&feature=youtu.be

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »
Disagree on the FJ theme, and it's now my ringtone.
It sounds a bit faster because of the background notes which are fast-paced 16th notes, but the speed is still the same. The main theme is amazing.
Agreed 100%. Could you share please?
https://youtu.be/jAopae-9Kgw
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »
I'm in a weird place with this; as a piece of music I adore it, but as the Final Jeopardy think music it feels just a little too busy musically for a 30 second think background.

Sodboy13

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2020, 01:07:42 PM »
Slaughtered the timeslot and carried the network for the rest of the night. Wowsers. Wonder if ABC would be interested in, say, a 13-week prime time tournament over the summer.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
Slaughtered the timeslot and carried the network for the rest of the night. Wowsers. Wonder if ABC would be interested in, say, a 13-week prime time tournament over the summer.

I think any network would be interested in taking advantage of something like the Alex + James publicity firestorm...but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen again.

Really enjoyed what I saw last night, although I need to give it a second watch on the DVR to get the finer details.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »
This is probably like Celebrity Family Feud considered a different show from the syndicated to qualify for PrimeTime Emmys.  I wonder how big a campaign ABC or Sony will make Alex for Best Reality or Competition Show host or the Tournament for Best Competition Show(Reality was dropped from award name last year)

JakeT

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
I'm in a weird place with this; as a piece of music I adore it, but as the Final Jeopardy think music it feels just a little too busy musically for a 30 second think background.

I think "too busy" best describes it and it is perhaps now a bit of a distraction to the players during those most-important 30 seconds...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »
Listening to it again, it sounds like background music for a Jeopardy! commercial, or one of the brief ads they do between the end of Double and Final J! It's catchy, but I agree a little out of place as think music. I think if they remove the percussion and synthesized 1/16 notes, it sounds more suitable here.

I may be in the minority, but being already like the main theme, it's growing on me more as a potential replacement for if/when they ever decide to update, even if it's not as fast-paced.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »

I think any network would be interested in taking advantage of something like the Alex + James publicity firestorm...but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen again.
I'm in the camp that nothing will happen, but I have to think someone in an important post spent today thinking of ways to keep J! in primetime.

Hell, in 2 years you could rehash Battle of the Decades into a Super Jeopardy format.
This signature is currently under construction.

JakeT

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2020, 11:36:38 PM »
While there are hopes of keeping "JEOPARDY!" in primetime, there is still the strong reality that the show won't survive that long past Alex...he has brought an atmosphere to that show that few can duplicate...

JakeT
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:50:21 PM by JakeT »

trainman

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 12:27:03 AM »
While there are hopes of keeping "JEOPARDY!" in primetime, there is still the strong reality that the show won't survive that long past Alex...he has brought an atmosphere to that show that few can duplicate...

I think you mean "possibility."

I agree that it's a possibility, but disagree with the adjective "strong." If this board had been around in 1984, I'm sure a good number of posters would be saying that the new version of J! wouldn't survive long without Art Fleming.
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2020, 01:03:10 AM »
I think people will embrace the eventual replacement. I mean, TPiR is still going strong with Drew Carey, and even he didn't expect to be there this long.

/That's right, there's middle schoolers who never saw Bob Barker host a new episode of The Price is Right
//You're welcome

aaron sica

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »
/That's right, there's middle schoolers who never saw Bob Barker host a new episode of The Price is Right
//You're welcome

That would be my future stepdaughter, just turned 13 and was 9 months old when Drew Carey began hosting.