Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament  (Read 27499 times)

Sodboy13

Re: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »
Rutter in 4 or 5. Either Brad or Ken can play James' game and do it just as well as he does, if not better. His advantages fade a lot going up against those two.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

jage

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 08:17:55 PM »
Brad wins these tourneys vs. humans every time. Brad 3, James 2, Ken 1.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »
ESPN: Did 'Jeopardy!' GOAT champ get leaked? Offshore books say yes

No spoilers in the article -- contestants are referred to as "X" and "Y".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2020, 11:09:06 AM »
Rutter in 4 or 5. Either Brad or Ken can play James' game and do it just as well as he does, if not better. His advantages fade a lot going up against those two.
This is more or less how I arrived at Brad in five as well. The knowledge base among all three participants is sound--even if James prepped by reading kids versions of the books you don't win a Tournament of Champions scoring $75k in the finals on a fluke. Brad's reaction time is unparalleled and that makes all the difference at this level.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2020, 09:00:51 PM »
No spoilers, but the set really does look great, esp. when the lights are dimmed. Looking at Final Jeopardy!, the set reminds me of a planetarium.

I also like the theme music they use here...very majestic, as you might imagine.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Unrealtor

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 09:10:17 PM »
I also like the theme music they use here...very majestic, as you might imagine.

The theme was good, but I didn't like this version of the Think music. Alex kind of nailed it when he talked about feeling like the time passed more quickly than normal.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »
Okay, that's weird. I thought the main theme was odd but loved Final. Sounded very news-y.

The set does look amazing.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »
The theme was good, but I didn't like this version of the Think music. Alex kind of nailed it when he talked about feeling like the time passed more quickly than normal.
I could see that. Once Alex mentioned it, I started wondering was it really 30 seconds. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Unrealtor

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2020, 10:03:30 PM »
After thinking about it a bit more, I think my dislike comes from how frenetic it is. For those of us at home, the 30 second clock on FJ is pretty contemplative. We just have to challenge ourselves to think of the answer, and there's nothing riding on it. Tonight's music made it feel like a race against the clock, and we aren't really along with the contestants on that race because we don't know what they're writing until afterwards.

JakeT

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2020, 10:33:30 PM »
Tonight's music made it feel like a race against the clock, and we aren't really along with the contestants on that race because we don't know what they're writing until afterwards.

Uhhhhh, do we ever know what they are writing until afterwards?

JakeT

Unrealtor

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2020, 12:15:11 AM »
Tonight's music made it feel like a race against the clock, and we aren't really along with the contestants on that race because we don't know what they're writing until afterwards.

Uhhhhh, do we ever know what they are writing until afterwards?

Uhhhhh, what on earth gave you the impression that I was implying that there has ever been a time when we knew what they were writing? It was pretty central to my point that we don't know and haven't known and that's why the slower feel of the more traditional arrangements feels more appropriate.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2020, 12:29:41 AM »
I'm in the camp of "yes to the prime time theme, but I don't like the more intense think music."

I know this isn't a bold new insight, but a tournament like this really underscores how a top-level game of Jeopardy! hinges on only four clues (the three Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy!). The rest of the game is just there to determine how much the trivia experts will be risking when they go either all in or nearly all in.

I was worried that James would run away with this tournament because he has youth and reflexes on his side, but I'm happy to see that all three players are up to the challenge. This should be fun.

(I do wonder whether watching a glossy, somewhat emotional package immediately before playing the second Double Jeopardy! will have a negative impact on the featured player of each night.)

jage

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2020, 01:59:06 AM »
Disagree on the FJ theme, and it's now my ringtone.
It sounds a bit faster because of the background notes which are fast-paced 16th notes, but the speed is still the same. The main theme is amazing.

tvwxman

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2020, 07:14:05 AM »
Disagree on the FJ theme, and it's now my ringtone.
It sounds a bit faster because of the background notes which are fast-paced 16th notes, but the speed is still the same. The main theme is amazing.
Agreed 100%. Could you share please?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

weaklink75

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »
Wow....first night ratings are in- and the fast nationals are off the charts...

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-tuesday-network-scorecard-1-7-2020.html

14.36 million viewers, 2.4 in the 18-49 demo..

(I thought it'd do OK, but it beat NCIS by a ton- wonder if it'll hold up in night 2?)