Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament  (Read 27511 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 08:46:59 PM »
I know they do two-game total score for scheduling reasons and have for years, but I think it mucks up the game play.
Unsurprisingly, I disagree wholeheartedly. I think it makes the first FJ wagering really interesting, because it is distinctly different than the wagering strategy for a single game, which at this point has been reduced to a simple math / second guessing exercise.
True--every time Neumms tries to fix something that isn't broken it does end up worse than the original article.

First thing: Given the speed of play and the fact that we know these guys it does seem like the primo time to tweak the game some since we have the three heaviest hitters ever. Throw a Triple Jeopardy round into game two. Have some sort of halftime event--something so that we're not just watching two episodes of Jeopardy. (that said it does mean I can basically bang this out in thirty minutes.

Thing two: this is a lot of Jeopardy. I love Jeopardy as much as anyone, but when you add this to the episode that will air in the access hour that's three episodes a day--assuming that people do watch the OG show it will immediately be overshadowed. I would love it if ABC put the show on Saturday like Super Jeopardy almost thirty years ago and run it every week until it concludes, but I get that there are other issues with that.

Other thing--I kinda wish that the All-Stars had the older guys like Chuck Forrest, Bob Blake, Officer Frank and Lesek Pawlowicz as team captain along with the second decade's big winners rather than having the player reaching back the farthest being Pam Mueller. I think it gives short shrift to some of the recent TOC winners like Roger Craig, Buzzy Cohen and Alex Jacob (there's how you fill out the episodes--bring back TOC winners to play an exhibition game.)
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 12:34:59 AM »
A very minute peek at the GOAT studio setup on tonight's primetime Jeopardy documentary/promotion indicates it'll be straight-up points on the board, not "dollars." The set looks beautiful, and it looks like the game board graphics got a slight update.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 01:21:57 AM »
Here's a promo from 20/20's Twitter. I agree that the prime time set looks awesome.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 09:27:42 AM »
Agreed, and I wouldn't mind them trotting this version out for ToCs in the future.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
I’m not sure if this means anything, but the DirecTV listings only shows 4 dates

1/7, 1/8, 1/9, and 1/14

So maybe the first person to win 2 games will ultimately be the winner?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »
How far out do your listings reach normally?
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 07:56:01 PM »
How far out do your listings reach normally?
Usually 2 weeks. I see other shows up to 1/18

DirecTV has been known to spoil shows before with their descriptions. But I believe those descriptions come from the channel directly.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 10:34:43 PM »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »
I find it interesting we've been given a format, and when suggested that something happens that could plausibly occur under that format the first instinct is to assume the format is wrong.
This signature is currently under construction.

trainman

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 12:08:43 AM »
I wouldn't read too much into what the listings are saying right now. That's basically the same way ABC handles the listings for the NBA Finals -- pencils sitcom reruns or other programming in as placeholders for the nights of Games 5-7, until those games become necessary.
trainman is a man of trains

cmjb13

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 07:13:26 AM »
So maybe the first person to win 2 games will ultimately be the winner?

Don't think so:

https://abc.com/shows/jeopardy-the-greatest-of-all-time/video/most-recent/vdka15413451
I know it’s 3 games.

I was referring to the listings, which if correct, only show 4 games.
So if that’s correct, it’s plausible that one person wins the first two nights, loses the 3rd, and wins the 4th. Then by elimination, the person who won the first two games wins.

But it all depends on the accuracy of the listings.

Neumms

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 10:53:53 AM »
Unsurprisingly, I disagree wholeheartedly. I think it makes the first FJ wagering really interesting, because it is distinctly different than the wagering strategy for a single game, which at this point has been reduced to a simple math / second guessing exercise.

True--every time Neumms tries to fix something that isn't broken it does end up worse than the original article.

First thing: Given the speed of play and the fact that we know these guys it does seem like the primo time to tweak the game some since we have the three heaviest hitters ever. Throw a Triple Jeopardy round into game two. Have some sort of halftime event--something so that we're not just watching two episodes of Jeopardy.

I see your point, Chris. I'd like it if they put the previous game's scores on the lecterns so it's easier to follow.

Speaking of fixing something that isn't broken, Triple Jeopardy? So you're hoping to diminish the importance of the first game and the first round of the second? And you're looking for a stunt in what should be the purest competition?

For halftime, are you thinking Beyonce? Maybe Tony Bennett to hit their usual demographic? Or is it more of an NBA halftime, with the couple that changes clothes really fast or the woman who balances plates on her head?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 12:58:04 PM »
How about let's not overanalyze things and spoil the crap out of it for those of us who just want to sit back and enjoy it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

snowpeck

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into what the listings are saying right now. That's basically the same way ABC handles the listings for the NBA Finals -- pencils sitcom reruns or other programming in as placeholders for the nights of Games 5-7, until those games become necessary.
Exactly. The folks at ABC are treating this as if it were a live event.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

weaklink75

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »
So any predictions? I'm thinking James in 5 games (3-1-1).