Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament  (Read 27504 times)

colonial

ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament
« on: November 18, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2019/11/18/jeopardy-james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-brad-rutter-duel-abc/4201669002/

— Each episode consists of two full games, whoever wins the most points in each episode wins the match.

— First to win three episodes wins $1M.  Runners up get $250K each.

— starts January 7 and can run from 3-7 days. Airs every night but Monday, as “The Bachelor” cannot be pre-empted for any reason (at least that’s what fans told me :) ).

JD

BrandonFG

Re: ABC to air Jeopardy GOAT tournament
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:05:01 PM »
— starts January 7 and can run from 3-7 days. Airs every night but Monday, as “The Bachelor” cannot be pre-empted for any reason (at least that’s what fans told me :) ).
Having worked for an ABC affiliate, I can confirm this is true. You don’t mess with their Bachelor or DWTS. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »
Well then, there's your answer as to the next mega-duel. They couldn't wait another four years?
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:21:50 PM »
The shows tape early next month. My question is how will they keep it from becoming a spoiler by simply knowing how many episodes it runs?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

colonial

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »
Well then, there's your answer as to the next mega-duel. They couldn't wait another four years?

Sorry to sound.grim, but there's a part of me wondering if this tournament will be Trebek's swan song, and he will announce his retirement at the end of the tourney?

JD

Loogaroo

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
That's my thinking too. Ideally you wait a year or so, but I don't think they really have that luxury with Trebek at this point.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
The shows tape early next month. My question is how will they keep it from becoming a spoiler by simply knowing how many episodes it runs?
My guess is that like the World Series (or other best-of-7 playoff series), the episodes will be scheduled "if needed."

I'll bet these tapings will be closed and the audience will be by invite only, similar to the All-Star Tourney.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 01:52:34 PM »
I also took it as Alex’s farewell tour, esp. given his recent interview regarding his health.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 04:07:48 PM »
I think the combination of the network primetime slot, Alex's health, and James winning the ToC last week was too much to resist for them doing it now...

And I wonder how far along they're in the regular season tapings? If Alex does have to leave in the middle of the season, do they have enough of a buffer to announce a replacement (I suspect they've had some unofficial talks with people) and get them up to speed with everything?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »
Check out James' Twitter. That's all I'm gonna say.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »

I did. Now what was the point?

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
I know they do two-game total score for scheduling reasons and have for years, but I think it mucks up the game play. Since this tourney is open-ended, I'd rather they played two regular games each show (doubleheader day!) and increase the games needed to win.

It does seem easy enough to plug in Press Your Luck or whatever to fill the time slots they don't use.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 02:25:58 PM »
I know they do two-game total score for scheduling reasons and have for years, but I think it mucks up the game play.

Unsurprisingly, I disagree wholeheartedly. I think it makes the first FJ wagering really interesting, because it is distinctly different than the wagering strategy for a single game, which at this point has been reduced to a simple math / second guessing exercise.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 10:02:52 PM »

I did. Now what was the point?

You missed it, I suppose.

But maybe you're not the intended audience (I mean that in a noninsulting way, seriously).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

trainman

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 11:27:29 PM »
Sorry to sound.grim, but there's a part of me wondering if this tournament will be Trebek's swan song, and he will announce his retirement at the end of the tourney?

I can't imagine that he (or the producers) would want to take the focus off the winner at the end of the final episode of the tournament.
trainman is a man of trains