The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Home(made) Buzzers and Lockout Systems

(1/5) > >>

Jeremy Nelson:
Anyone whose ever been interested in buying their own buzzer set knows they can be costly. What hardware/software you guys currently use? I’ve seen things as cheap as an Eggspert and as costly as a $700 Academic Bowl lockout system.

One of the cool things I just happened upon is the Xbox Adaptive Controller- it allows you to connect various buttons and control systems, but those peripherals can be expensive, and it would require a piece of software to connect to.

Joe Mello:
I'm still using the wired Buzz! PS2 peripheral through Joy2Key. I have the wireless versions as well but I haven't played around with them yet.

TLEberle:
For home use I'm happy with the Quizzard from 1987 or so. If people played more buzz-to-answer games at home with me I would look into the Trebisky eight-player octopus looking thing. Each paddle can be turned on or off so you can lock-out people who have already answered. Only hitch is the $100 price tag and that's for something I may use once yearly if I'm fortunate.

nowhammies10:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on November 18, 2019, 12:04:01 PM ---One of the cool things I just happened upon is the Xbox Adaptive Controller- it allows you to connect various buttons and control systems, but those peripherals can be expensive, and it would require a piece of software to connect to.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, the peripherals are the real barrier to entry here.  Otherwise, it's a standard Sixaxis controller with two large buttons, supported natively on Windows.  It's a Face-Off buzzer set right out of the box.

I, like Joe Mello, am still using the wired Buzz! paddles.  I can't seem to source the wireless ones locally.

Sodboy13:
I picked up the wireless Buzz PS3 controllers a few years back for $40 or $50, I think, and they do work great. Amazon has made "buttons" designed as buzz-in devices to be paired with an Echo for trivia games, but I don't know if they'd have any potential for use outside Amazon's own systems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version