Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! TOC players invite viewers to play at home for charity  (Read 2430 times)

BrandonFG

For every correct response, you donate a dollar, although you can of course modify how you see fit.

https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-tournament-champions-charity-pancreatic-cancer-research-1471122
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Jeopardy! TOC players invite viewers to play at home for charity
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
I would typically do $1 for every $1,000 scored by the finalists, but one of the trio has a mean average of eighty grand in his initial flight, so, y'know, hard pass this time. That said I am devoting my "wild rabble" portion of charitable donations for November to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and I would encourage those who are participating and in the PNW to do the same.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
I did love what Trebek said yesterday about $250K across four games being a pay cut for James. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
I did love what Trebek said yesterday about $250K across four games being a pay cut for James. :)
In the time period between his wins and the TOC there had been some rumblings that he was asking if the $250,000 was a set prize, or what the most he could win was while staying in second place. I found this curious since I don't think anyone has won more than the minimum prizes since second and third place were increased to $100k and $50k.

Since we're not in the Show Summaries section the rest is spoilered in case you haven't watched yet.

As competitive as Emma made things in day two and obviously nice for her to pick up another hundred grand, I can't shake the feeling that her ticket was punched because she was in the right place at the right time. That said she did what sixty-three other people could not do, but in all the years of Jeopardy only twelve three-time winners have moved through to the TOC. One happened to win it all, and two others made it to the finals. Another thing that itches is that the third group won by Francois was a bit of a gift as the other two were basically the groups of death in the semis--the three people chosen to duck James and Emma get a huge advantage.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
I can't shake the feeling that her ticket was punched because she was in the right place at the right time.
This part isn't really a spoiler, but they more or less admitted as such when they invited Emma over seven four-game winners (although at least Emma won more money than six of them, as well as two of the five-game winners who did participate).  The YouTube video introducting this ToC field even said after announcing her that "Not to worry, anyone who could have qualified for this ToC will be hold over for eligibility in the next edition."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »
Another way to look at it--she basically took the spot that belonged to Larry Martin. Only one four-time winner got bumped, but my understanding is that five-time winners get their ticket punched and everyone else has to wait for the invite. It's also their party as they have thrown out two five-time winners for reasons that totally make sense.

Andy Saunders has a TOC Tracker for the next throwdown and so far it consists of Jason Zuffranieri, a four-time winner and a smattering of 3x-ers.  There's lots of time and no guarantee that four games would indeed be enough to cut it.
Travis L. Eberle