Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG/HS cheating?  (Read 1206 times)

Neumms

MG/HS cheating?
« on: November 11, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »
This from Mark Evanier, who's always great. So which celebrity is Bowzer referring to?
https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/11/02/twice-two-4/

SuperMatch93

Re: MG/HS cheating?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:42:30 PM »
It couldn't have been Bowzer himself, could it? I haven't seen enough episodes to know if he would throw questions.
"Game shows aren't about cruelty. They're about greed and wonderful prizes like poorly built catamarans." - Homer Simpson

TLEberle

• Game Maven
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 10:50:33 PM »
Why would Jon ou5 himself?
Travis L. Eberle
Director of Ludic underlings.

isucgv

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
It couldn't have been Bowzer himself, could it? I haven't seen enough episodes to know if he would throw questions.
Given that he got enough screen time, you know, hosting half the show, I'm pretty sure it wasn't him...

SamJ93

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
Assuming Bauman's story is true (not saying he's lying, but he is going on 35-year-old memories), it would have to have been someone on the bottom row, right? I don't see how he could be aware of what's going on above him...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

calliaume

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »
This was discussed briefly in another thread a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,31342.195.html

Given another week or so to consider this, I wonder if Jon might have been exaggerating this - it may have happened, but not regularly.  I'd think that if Gene had seen someone writing two answers (and he would have the better opportunity to see it happen), he'd call it out to the producers.

Also, MGP was pretty protective of the contestants, and this clearly would have been affecting the outcome of the game (what if the contestant loses by one match?).  Richard Dawson was quoted in Maxine Fabe's book about the 1970s show thusly:  "Some of the worst celebrities on game shows are the stand-up comics.  They're getting big laughs with an ad lib, and the contestant's ten thousand bucks [are] going down the the drain.  All someone has to do on Match Game is to try that one and they're never invited back.  There's just too much at stake for our contestants for one wise guy to blow it all on a joke."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »
They're getting big laughs with an ad lib, and the contestant's ten thousand bucks [are] going down the the drain.  All someone has to do on Match Game is to try that one and they're never invited back.  There's just too much at stake for our contestants for one wise guy to blow it all on a joke."

And yet Patti Deutsch was invited back again and again.

Neumms

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
The story, and Im sorry to miss the earlier link, is seeming dodgier. Bad for contestants but not rule-violating would be to simply write way-out-there answers in round 1. The game is made for that.

If Bowzer saw it himself during the MG/HS run in which hes seriously vested, one would think hed tell the producers immediately. Possibly he did, the star stopped doing it, and Bowzer is inflating the story.

I accuse Fred Travelena. He was a screen hog, and Evanier would know him by reputation.

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 04:50:35 PM »

Yes. She matched no less often than Joyce Bullifant, but her answers were clever and funny. Same for Marcia Wallace.

rebelwrest

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »

Yes. She matched no less often than Joyce Bullifant, but her answers were clever and funny. Same for Marcia Wallace.

I believe Patti gave the wacky answers in round 1 only and did it for both contestants.  In round 2, she played it straight.  The women in the 6th seat knew when to play for laughs and when to try to match the contestants.  This is why they were invited back for MANY years.
The Rich Eisen Show plays Pyramid CATEGORY: THINGS IN A HORROR MOVIE
Del Tufo: My Ex-Wife
Rich Eisen: Things that throw Emmys at you.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Their patience ran out on Deutsch in 79.   She never was on the syndie MG even while she was still getting booked on "Beat The Clock."   

Being invited back frequently doesn't always mean it was a wise decision as the multiple times of Jonathan Winters wasting time on HSQ demonstrated.

chris319

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 02:28:14 AM »
There were problems with Della Reese on MG, predating MGHS hour. Ultimately they stopped booking her.

Bauman implies that HS was played dishonestly at one time. Giving the panelists answers but not the civilian players is allowed and is perfectly acceptable.