Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BREAKING: Pat undergoes emergency surgery, Vanna stepping in to host WOF.  (Read 25629 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: BREAKING: Pat undergoes emergency surgery, Vanna stepping in to host WOF.
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »
Prize Puzzle = source of revenue/free-to-production company prizes.  It's not going away anytime soon.
But if Royal Carribean gets a full on prize plug and just becomes an actual wedge, what's the difference to them? We can't be the only people noticing that the person who wins this round very frequently also wins the game.
One of my very close friends who wouldn't be caught dead on a board like this frequently points this out.  It is annoying to them too.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tpirfan28

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
C + D level celebrities contestants
I would not be against Celebrity Wheel again.  When was the last time celebrities played?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »
There are two things I believe.  One is that in 2019, 43 years in, Family Feud consolation money should be ten dollars a point.  The other is that a Prize Puzzle is fine, but the value of the prize should not count toward determining the day's winner.  That is all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2019, 08:15:57 PM »
I would not be against Celebrity Wheel again.  When was the last time celebrities played?
The last time celebs played the game with contestants was in 2007. The last time celebs played by themselves was in 2000.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

JakeT

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
There are two things I believe.  One is that in 2019, 43 years in, Family Feud consolation money should be ten dollars a point.  The other is that a Prize Puzzle is fine, but the value of the prize should not count toward determining the day's winner.  That is all.

Correct on BOTH counts!

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
The other is that a Prize Puzzle is fine, but the value of the prize should not count toward determining the day's winner.  That is all.
"Because once you win a Prize Puzzle, it's yours to keep!"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WhammyPower

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2019, 09:38:09 PM »
In 2019, 43 years in, Family Feud consolation money should be ten dollars a point.
It should've been all the way back in *1988*, due to the high inflation rate.

/The Ray Combs pilot did... Why did they leave it at $5/point for the series? No idea.
//And yet, the top prize pretty much HAS gone up with inflation...

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
I guess Vanna's 3rd week will remain under wraps, looks like we're seeing a week of reruns from December 2018, preceded by a short message from Pat.

Bryce L.

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2019, 07:22:25 PM »
I guess Vanna's 3rd week will remain under wraps
At least until the week of January 6th, according to Buy a Vowel Boards.

Jay Temple

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2020, 03:31:29 PM »
On the latter point, Bob Stewart (or one of his subordinates) figured this out in 1983. As Dick Clark would point out regarding the 7-11, "It's real money. You can spend it, but the game is won or lost over there," indicating the Winners' Circle.

The show is called Wheel of Fortune. Both the screen time and the importance of the wheel are diminished by too many toss-up puzzles.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2020, 01:09:20 AM »
The show is called Wheel of Fortune. Both the screen time and the importance of the wheel are diminished by too many toss-up puzzles.
THIS.

Mind you, I think the Toss-Up was a great idea since it allows for control to be determined by skill rather than being lucky enough to draw the "1" to get the red arrow, but that was when it was just limited to two (pre-Round 1 and pre-Round 4). As I've noted already in this thread, adding the other three really just pads out the game and gives less time for the $5,000 space to be in play.

aaron sica

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2020, 06:40:45 AM »
Mind you, I think the Toss-Up was a great idea since it allows for control to be determined by skill rather than being lucky enough to draw the "1" to get the red arrow, but that was when it was just limited to two (pre-Round 1 and pre-Round 4). As I've noted already in this thread, adding the other three really just pads out the game and gives less time for the $5,000 space to be in play.

Along these same lines.......I believe the other night that the puzzle AFTER the 3-toss up around was solved without having to do the final spin (the final spin puzzle came next). It got me wondering - when's the last time where there was no final spin necessary? Or are they always squeezing it in now?

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2020, 07:31:46 AM »
Along these same lines.......I believe the other night that the puzzle AFTER the 3-toss up around was solved without having to do the final spin (the final spin puzzle came next). It got me wondering - when's the last time where there was no final spin necessary? Or are they always squeezing it in now?

Ending the main game with the final spin and speed up round has been mandatory for well over a decade now.  I don't know exactly when it started but it may have been around the time they started adding $1,000 to the final spin amount.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »
It got me wondering - when's the last time where there was no final spin necessary? Or are they always squeezing it in now?
Had to double-check this, but the last time the game ended without a Final Spin was on November 27, 2000.

it may have been around the time they started adding $1,000 to the final spin amount.
The "spin + $1,000" rule was added on October 4, 1999, well before the Final Spin became permanent.

nowhammies10

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »
It got me wondering - when's the last time where there was no final spin necessary? Or are they always squeezing it in now?
Had to double-check this, but the last time the game ended without a Final Spin was on November 27, 2000.

Really?  I thought it was the Halloween show where Alex Trebek dressed up as a gnome and all three celebs played for charity.  Someone else was Shakespeare... Robin Williams?

EDIT: Richard Simmons, not Robin Williams.  That game DID end with a Final Spin, but it was the last time that Pat came out of commercial and just spun the wheel, i.e. no puzzle reveal and chimes first as it is today.