Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clever Wikipedia/Jeopardy Game: "Limitrivia"  (Read 1162 times)

tvmitch

Clever Wikipedia/Jeopardy Game: "Limitrivia"
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »
I ran across this interesting minigame this weekend, and thought it would be of interest to the group.

https://limitrivia.glitch.me/

You play Jeopardy questions of various amounts, and start with a bank of 100 characters. If you're stumped by a question, you can use your character bank to search Wikipedia, e.g. "hornets" would spend 7 characters. If you answer incorrectly, your character bank is decreased by the number of characters in the correct answer. (Your "double whammy" is spending characters on a fruitless Wiki search and guessing incorrectly.)

Run out of characters and the game ends, and your score is the values of the J! questions you answered.

Once you're on Wikipedia, you can click around with no penalty, so part of the fun is trying to come up with the shortest possible Wikipedia search that will allow you to "Seven degrees of Kevin Bacon" your right answer, if that makes sense.

There's a pretty good game show format in here somewhere, I like the mechanics of it. My high score so far is $17,800, I'm sure that's plenty beatable though.
You should follow me on Twitter

Fedya

Re: Clever Wikipedia/Jeopardy Game: "Limitrivia"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
When you get your last clue wrong, it won't let you challenge that one.  I lost by using Pinyin on a clue about Mao Zedong.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SamJ93

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:27:48 PM »
Also, I'm assuming the game pulls questions at random from j-archive.com, because there is sometimes some essential context missing from just the clue. I just lost on a clue from the category "Best Foreign Film" that gave only the year and the film title, and I assumed they were looking for the film's director--turns out they wanted the country of origin.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »
Iw would be useful to fire off an e-mail to the game's creator and explain the issues--perhaps they can be coded out in an update.
Travis L. Eberle