The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Drinking Game

(1/17) > >>

calliaume:
It had to be done.  Please add your own.  This is not meant to endorse alcoholic consumption.

Take a sip if…
-   Jon says “You were right to agree/disagree.”
-   Gene looks bored.
-   Hollywood Squares is played differently than the original version.
-   A contestant on Match Game gives a really rotten answer.
-   A celebrity on Match Game gives a really rotten answer.
-   Something was bleeped on the original show.
-   Someone wears particularly 1980s fashion.

Take a gulp if…
-   Jon fails to move the game along (or one of the stars hogs the camera for more than 30 seconds).
-   You haven’t seen one of the celebrities in anything new this century (this does not apply if the celebrity died before 2000).
-   Something was bleeped for the current edition of the show that was permitted in the original.
-   Mother MacKenzie is particularly prominent.

Chug the drink if…
-   There’s a $30,000 win.

BrandonFG:
Sip if:
-Fred Travalena does an impersonation but it's nobody called on him
-Gene refers to something from the 70s version (mostly pertaining to the gameplay, not just someone like CNR on the panel)
-A question refers to something only relevant in 1983, and therefore you have to Google its meaning

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: calliaume on October 12, 2019, 03:53:49 PM ---It had to be done.  Please add your own.  This is not meant to endorse alcoholic consumption.
--- End quote ---
Good, because playing this game regularly would visit irreversible violence upon our livers.

While there's not a whole lot to recommend in this series (golly that's damning with faint praise) it does look like everyone is trying to put together two different jigsaw puzzles and all of the pieces have been jumbled into a single box or trying to iron out the rules of a new sport during the first season without having practice games. (The fact that MGHSH probably had loads of them speaks to just how impossible it was going to be to square the circle in front of them.) I happened upon an episode of the nighttime Hollywood Squares from the late seventies where the first game went halfway without a single zinger or much of a reaction from the audience other than applause for each mark on the board. The Mother Teresa/Bo Derek question from Thursday was used as a $10,000 Pot o' Gold puzzler on Trivia Trap no more than two years later, so obviously it was worthy of inclusion in a show that was heavy on stuff you didn't know it would be worth knowing.  The HS questions I've seen have been interesting and the guests that some folks seem to loathe were at least funny if time consuming and scenery chewing. As I seem to wrap up things lots these days there were some people who got wealthy playing the game and people in the industry got work for a year, and it bailed one of the hosts out of financial stress for a bit.

Casey Buck:

--- Quote from: calliaume on October 12, 2019, 03:53:49 PM ---Take a gulp if…
-   Mother MacKenzie is particularly prominent.
--- End quote ---
You'll be in a stupor within 15 minutes. YEEE-HOOO!

calliaume:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on October 12, 2019, 05:56:01 PM ---As I seem to wrap up things lots these days there were some people who got wealthy playing the game and people in the industry got work for a year, and it bailed one of the hosts out of financial stress for a bit.

--- End quote ---
I forgot one:  Take a gulp if Jon does a Bowzer pose.

I don't disagree with you on this one.  There are a few "what the hell?" moments, but that wasn't uncommon on daytime games anywhere from the dawn of television to the early 2000s.

One of the challenges of this show was there were no vets for the stars to learn from (aside from Gene and Jon, and I'm not sure how much help they were).  On the 1970s versions of Squares and Match Game, there were always a few veteran celebrities - after awhile, you rarely had an episode where there was more than one celeb appearing for the first time.  On the week we just saw, by my count five celebrities had never done any type of panel show (Squares, Match Game, or anything similar) - that had to be a challenge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version