Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Win the game and still win nothing?  (Read 9772 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: Win the game and still win nothing?
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
Yes, Jake's tone is incredibly dismissive and I think he could stand to draw it back 9 steps in this post and others, but that doesn't make his logic unsound.

For starters, the old Price routinely stopped down between showcases 1 & 2. Not always, I'm sure, but often enough. It was easier to spot in the '70s & '80s because the edit wasn't as clean. Just watch the moment Johnny says "YOUR showcase..." to the second person. The player is often staring into space unnaturally, while there's visual evidence of a cut. There's blooper reels online from Barker's last year or few where he calls for a stop after flubbing a line. Given he was the EP, if he wanted to stop, they would stop.

We talk a lot about S&P's strictness, and I don't expect many people online to know this, but an S&P presence isn't like a Brinks-level security. I think, in general, people here tend to overstate their role based on what they've read, and they overstate how complicated fixes like this are. To double check Ten Chances is not "changing a game." There's not a rubber stamp process for this sort of thing. And as I understand it, many (if not all) of the Goodson games were given more latitude than you imagine with S&P departments because they had a good reputation. If the contestant won the first prize in Ten Chances by default, nobody's mind is jumping to major foul play.

On most shows I've worked on with big money prizes and/or an outside S&P firm, most things you do elicit the S&P rep to accompany you . In all of the Price stops I've seen on tape and in person, I've seen no such person at the side of the producer or stage manager or whoever's futzing with the problem at hand.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Denials

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »
Fair enough.  Thanks for the insight -  much appreciated!

TimK2003

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »
For starters, the old Price routinely stopped down between showcases 1 & 2. Not always, I'm sure, but often enough. It was easier to spot in the '70s & '80s because the edit wasn't as clean. Just watch the moment Johnny says "YOUR showcase..." to the second person. The player is often staring into space unnaturally, while there's visual evidence of a cut. There's blooper reels online from Barker's last year or few where he calls for a stop after flubbing a line. Given he was the EP, if he wanted to stop, they would stop.

At a Barker Price taping I went to, after the "end of the show", they had to "reshoot" a prize from earlier in the show.  That would mean they had to bring back and re-position the prize, and anything else that was (in this case) behind the doors as well (scenery, props, etc...).  They likely used the audio from the original description and added the reshot video in post.  That would be more expensive overall than a 2 minute mid-game stopdown.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2019, 05:20:02 PM »
While not wanting to stanch the discussion on what game show cars cost I came across an episode of Debt where the contestant managed to roll up $6,700 against a debt of $6,647 from student loans. While the show was billed as one where "the winners go home with nothing!" I don't think that the show handled his bills, cut him a check for $57 and said "good job, don't let the door hit you on the way out." That also doesn't speak to the issue of taxes to be paid. We can infer that the show pays the full amount and maybe hope that the contestant does the right thing but that the responsibility does lie with the winner.
Travis L. Eberle

CeleTheRef

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »

In Italy, one contestant on Avanti Un Altro! managed to win the endgame exactly when the money clock hit zero. He was technically a winner... of zero!  :-[

vtown7

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2019, 10:04:07 AM »
Cele - do you get nothing for winning the front game in Avanti? Au Suivant gives $1K for the champion of the day.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2019, 06:00:10 AM »
Cele - do you get nothing for winning the front game in Avanti? Au Suivant gives $1K for the champion of the day.

Goose egg. (except in season 5, when the winner was given a one-year subscription to the network's premium channels)
Present-day gameshows in Italy all work like this: the front game is played only to determine who advances to the final game and how much it will be played for (typically in the €100,000-€200,000 range). Then, the winner has a feeble chance to win the day's jackpot, a fraction of it, or nothing at all. A returning champion with zero winnings is known as a "champion without portfolio".