Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Win the game and still win nothing?  (Read 9770 times)

Casey

Win the game and still win nothing?
« on: September 22, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »
After watching an MG syndie episode recently, where a player won the game but missed out on any of 3 answers in the audience match and was sent home with the Rice-a-Roni, I wondered how many other games allows you to win the game and leave with nothing.

The only other one I could think of off the top of my head was Press Your Luck where it happened a couple of times.  Any others?

Trisscope

Re: Win the game and still win nothing?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:35:44 PM »
Would you count Treasure Hunt where you could win the choice to pick a prize and end up with a klunk?

SamJ93

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
Debt? I mean, it is the show's tagline...even though the contestant's debt amounts may well have been for show, and what they chose to do with their winnings is their business...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »
-Card Sharks from 2001...the winning contestant received $2,100, which was then split up over three levels on the Money Cards. A few contestants bet it all and lost as a result*.

-Any Millionaire contestant from the Fastest Finger era, but failed to get past the first five questions. They used to call this a "Llama" on ATGS...

-There were also a couple of Pyramid Winner's Circles where a contestant got nothing, one from the 80s, another during the Donnymid era. Not sure if said contestants won a 7-11/Mystery 7/Super Six.

Didn't the 70s era Match Game award $100 to the day's winner? Or was that just the CBS version?

/*Although I think they did get a digital camera or a watch or something
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »
Didn't the 70s era Match Game award $100 to the day's winner? Or was that just the CBS version?
Just the CBS version.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
I was gonna say Temptation because the possibility existed for someone to win with no prizes being won, but I think that would be a different set of circumstances, no? Considering you'd have to come back and play again to even have a chance to do that?

What happened the one time a champion on Merv Griffin's Crosswords won with a negative balance?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 09:04:43 PM »
I was gonna say Temptation because the possibility existed for someone to win with no prizes being won, but I think that would be a different set of circumstances, no? Considering you'd have to come back and play again to even have a chance to do that?
I recall at least one carryover winner on nighttime Sale that lost their next game and basically won their cash account but nothing in Fame Game or gift shop. Temptation didn't even have cash for right answers and only three chances to pick up loot during the game.

What happened the one time a champion on Merv Griffin's Crosswords won with a negative balance?
Croton watch and the "honor of being our champion."

/also a bill came in the mail 90 days later.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
Rafferty Card Sharks added prize cards to the decks and did not pay the winner $100/game.  If they failed to pick up any prize cards and busted in the Money Cards, they could have won nothing.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 09:56:36 PM »
-There were also a couple of Pyramid Winner's Circles where a contestant got nothing, one from the 80s,

Yes, a female contestant crashed and burned with Tom Poston. She gave the clues.

golden-road

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 10:49:21 PM »
-Card Sharks from 2001...the winning contestant received $2,100, which was then split up over three levels on the Money Cards. A few contestants bet it all and lost as a result*.

They got $700 as a consolation prize.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 12:23:41 AM »
-There were also a couple of Pyramid Winner's Circles where a contestant got nothing, one from the 80s,

Yes, a female contestant crashed and burned with Tom Poston. She gave the clues.

However that contestant won the Winners Circle twice before then, also giving the clues.

Otm Shank

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 12:38:56 AM »
After watching an MG syndie episode recently, where a player won the game but missed out on any of 3 answers in the audience match and was sent home with the Rice-a-Roni, I wondered how many other games allows you to win the game and leave with nothing.

The only other one I could think of off the top of my head was Press Your Luck where it happened a couple of times.  Any others?

Refresh my memory, but did contestants win $100 for winning the front game on MGPM, or was that only on the daytime version?

On Press Your Luck the $0 winners at least had an opportunity to play again (and a triple $0 once, so someone in that group won something). Jeopardy had high scorers tie for the $0 top score of the day, although the second time it happened, there was consolation cash (and an extra $2,000 ponied up by Alleve).

BillCullen1

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 12:45:33 AM »
Refresh my memory, but did contestants win $100 for winning the front game on MGPM, or was that only on the daytime version?

Only on the daytime version.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 01:06:43 AM »
There was one PM episode where a contestant bombed out on both Audience Matches. Back from commercial, Gene read a Dumb Dora question with a really obvious answer and offered her $100 for each celebrity she matched. She matched all six for $600. So at least on PM, you had to work really, really hard at going home with nothing.

Allstar87

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 01:12:07 AM »

It happened at least once. One champion lost on her third day...and since she never bought a single thing in those three days, she ended up leaving with nothing but Rossi's love.

For those who don't mind spoilers and/or wanna try catching it on Buzzr, her name was De Rynn, and she was on the first taped week. Buzzr's shown her fruitless run at least thrice.