Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Split Second '86 and wrong answers...  (Read 1273 times)

SamJ93

Split Second '86 and wrong answers...
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
On several episodes of SS on Buzzr thus far, if a question is a simple either/or proposition, Monty immediately tells a contestant who answers wrong that it was the other choice, and that part of the question is presumably off-limits for any remaining contestants. This makes sense for that type of question...but on at least two occasions I've seen now, he did it for an open-ended question too, which seems rather unfair to the other players.

Was there any sort of hard-and-fast rule for when a contestant can or can't answer a previously-missed question, or was Monty just being forgetful? Considering how lackadaisical his hosting seemed to be on this version in general, I'm inclined to believe the latter...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Re: Split Second '86 and wrong answers...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »
Was there any sort of hard-and-fast rule for when a contestant can or can't answer a previously-missed question, or was Monty just being forgetful? Considering how lackadaisical his hosting seemed to be on this version in general, I'm inclined to believe the latter...

You understand what's going on, and this was Monty making mistakes.  There isn't a hard and fast rule on mistakes like this, because they're situational.

Talking out of my butt:

1) If a contestant protested, the easy thing to do would be to give them the 20 bucks under the table and send them on their way.  Given Monty's proclivity to pay off on mistakes he made during LMaD, it seems likely that this would have been the result.

2) Unless those twenty bucks affected the order going into Countdown, or unless it happened in Countdown itself, it didn't otherwise affect the result of the game.  If it did affect the results of the game, it was trivial to bring them back.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

tomobrien

Re: Split Second '86 and wrong answers...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 04:13:43 PM »
Never having seen this first time around, what's surprising to me about this version is how sloppy some of the questions/answers are.  One of the questions last week about musical trios listed a Cream song title as "Sunshine of Your Life" (it's "Sunshine of Your Love") and two contestants confused it with Stevie Wonder's "You Are the Sunshine of My Life."  And Wonder's real first name was one of the several typos (Steveland, not Stevland) I've caught on the answer board. (I also seem to recall there was a challengeable question about time zones, but I'm not sure on that.)  It just feels surprisingly slapdash for a Monty production.