Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jackpot and the Super Jackpot  (Read 3086 times)

Neumms

Jackpot and the Super Jackpot
« on: September 21, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »
How often would you guess the target number was hit? IIRC it was incredibly rare, and with riddle amounts in mere $5 increments, it seems calculated. It was the highlight of the show when Geoff announced that a wallet had the right amount to hit the target. If the riddles were in $20 increments, that would happen more often and make it a better show, with far better suspense than just plopping a Super Jackpot riddle in the mix.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Jackpot and the Super Jackpot
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:22:27 PM »
The point of the show is the build. Sure, it's nice to see a target hit every so often but I think the average viewer isn't really concerned with that. They're just there for the game.

Personally, if you're going to do anything with the Super Jackpot I would figure instead of having it fluctuate in value depending on whatever the determining factor is, just starting out at a set minimum and rolling the pot over after every game like traditional jackpot-employing game shows have is the simplest solution.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Neumms

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:11:25 PM »
The point of the show is the build. Sure, it's nice to see a target hit every so often but I think the average viewer isn't really concerned with that. They're just there for the game.

Building toward the target number is the point, though. Building the basic jackpot to pretty much $1500 isn't all that interesting on its own. I like the riddles and the contestants, but the game is pretty repetitive, and I think that's why it wasn't a huge success. Risking the jackpot to build it up is cool, but then finding the wallet is anti-climactic. I like your idea of the Super Jackpot being progressive.

narzo

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
I remember running the numbers, as a math geek, in high school and I believe once you are within a $200 range of the target, you stand a constant one in thirty chance, assuming the riddles are worth $50 and $200, on each call for a new riddle.  Once over, there is zero chance until you come within a $200 range again.  The odds to not get better or worse as you get closer, as random numbers have no memory.

Someone with better skills is more than welcome to check my math, and the formula I'm using.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
How often would you guess the target number was hit? IIRC it was incredibly rare, and with riddle amounts in mere $5 increments, it seems calculated. It was the highlight of the show when Geoff announced that a wallet had the right amount to hit the target. If the riddles were in $20 increments, that would happen more often and make it a better show, with far better suspense than just plopping a Super Jackpot riddle in the mix.
I was a regular viewer of the USA Network version from the mid-80s even though I wasn't well-equipped to handle the material as a primary schooler. Watching an episode this week I don't think I missed more than one or two--it was like an episode of Who's Still Standing but where the question is "What do you add to a stranger to get a strangler?" and nobody falls into ignominy. Derp.

I don't think the fact that the Super Jackpot was more often than not hit by a special riddle detracted from the show--if you enjoyed the riddles/clues and the treasure hunt then you were already in the tent. Do I think that Jackpot could work with $20 multiples to ease the math and a Super Jackpot from $20,000 to $50,000? I guess it could--it certainly vibes with the "don't ask hard questions!" mentality today, but I think that Hollywood Showdown more or less solved whatever problems were extant in the original article.
Travis L. Eberle

Unrealtor

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 11:00:36 PM »
I had always assumed (perhaps naively) that the target number was always achievable with at least one combination of selections. Even in the days before computers could figure out every possible combination in an instant, it wouldn't have been that hard to randomly pick some envelopes and work out the total.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Loogaroo

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »
Not sure how often they did this in the '70s or syndicated versions, but I do remember seeing at least one instance of a Mike Darrow episode where he pointed out that there was a riddle in mix that would bring the Jackpot to a match.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

JakeT

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »
Not sure how often they did this in the '70s or syndicated versions, but I do remember seeing at least one instance of a Mike Darrow episode where he pointed out that there was a riddle in mix that would bring the Jackpot to a match.

He frequently advised the players when there was a riddle still on the board that would make the jackpot match the target number...

JakeT

That Don Guy

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »
I vaguely remember Geoff mentioning it on the NBC version every now and then - but not always; I think it was only when it was a relatively small number, like $30. The smallest riddle I remember seeing was $15.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »
IIRC the one 70's clip that's passed around just had a wallet that said "Super Jackpot," not even an Instant Target Match.
This signature is currently under construction.

Unrealtor

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 11:27:55 PM »
I remember running the numbers, as a math geek, in high school and I believe once you are within a $200 range of the target, you stand a constant one in thirty chance, assuming the riddles are worth $50 and $200, on each call for a new riddle.  Once over, there is zero chance until you come within a $200 range again.  The odds to not get better or worse as you get closer, as random numbers have no memory.

Someone with better skills is more than welcome to check my math, and the formula I'm using.

The idea of 1/number of values seems a little too convenient to be right to me, but maybe a bunch of things cancel out in the long run. (There are 31 multiples of 5 that are at least 50 and no more than 200, so I think it should probably 1/31 rather than 1/30.)

In my mind, the probability for any given pick is the probability that the right value is out there (ie, that it went into the game in the first place and wasn't already removed) and you pick the person with the right value. Also, if the same value can't appear more than once, that would result in a smaller pool of possibilities as you get further into a game.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
The idea of 1/number of values seems a little too convenient to be right to me, but maybe a bunch of things cancel out in the long run. (There are 31 multiples of 5 that are at least 50 and no more than 200, so I think it should probably 1/31 rather than 1/30.)

If they played a game and a half per episode, it's hit about once a month. That's more often than they played for the million on WWTBAM, but not very often.

Loogaroo

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
It's unlikely that anyone has ever done a deep dive analysis on the riddle value distribution, but it wouldn't be surprising if it followed some manner of bell curve, which would make certain target distances easier to hit than others. (i.e. You're more likely to hit a target that's $85 away than $60 or $140 away because the mean riddle value is $90 or some such)
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".