Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What should be the next "classic" revival for prime-time?  (Read 14589 times)

Fedya

Re: What should be the next "classic" revival for prime-time?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 09:05:22 AM »
Both valid points. I've been over the money tree format for at least a decade.

And lifelines.  At least Million Dollar Mind Game had the decency to have a money wheel instead of a money tree....
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chrisholland03

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 09:42:38 AM »
I'm voting for Blockbusters, but it would require three things:

1) The right host - someone who can play traffic cop appropriately and keep things moving, but also mine for gold - and know when to stop mining
2) The right pacing - dramatic pause hurts the game
3) A strategy to keep the episodes self-contained.  I would almost go to a Davidson Hollywood Squares approach here, where each game is worth $X and increases each game; interrupted game is $Y per hex.  High $ goes to Gold Run for $Z

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:54:14 PM by chrisholland03 »

Neumms

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 06:39:24 PM »
I wonder if a Gameshow Marathon would work with a set of second-tier game shows rather than the famous ones they played last time.

Not sure Chain Reaction would slay an audience, but maybe the novelty of over-the-top 70s’ shows? Money Maze. High Rollers with its giant dice. Big Showdown with its frantic rolling of giant dice. Magnificent Marble Machine. (Granted, the prop wouldn’t be cheap, but it would only have to hold together for an hour.) Pitfall. Rhyme and Reason. Maybe this is a place for Celebrity Sweepstakes. Maybe even Whew!

It involves different producers, of course, but the shows would be de facto pilots, so there’s inducement for them to say why not.

Stackertosh

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2019, 06:57:16 PM »
Who Wants to be a Millionaire- As long they follow the Uk format.
Weakest Link- This show is slowly creeping back on in other countries.
Greed

Syndicated or Cable
Lingo
Sale of the Century
Supermarket sweep

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2019, 01:44:59 AM »
Syndicated or Cable
Lingo
Sale of the Century
Supermarket sweep
The thread asked for primetime shows.  And why should $ale be relegated to syndication or cable?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PPatters

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2019, 01:52:24 AM »
The thread asked for primetime shows.  And why should $ale be relegated to syndication or cable?

I think one reason is because Sale is so reliant on returning champions and I just don’t expect we’ll see weekly shows in primetime with returning champions any time soon.
Patrick

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
I think one reason is because Sale is so reliant on returning champions
It certainly lasted into the 80's without them.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2019, 12:30:17 PM »
Syndicated or Cable
Lingo
Sale of the Century
Supermarket sweep
The thread asked for primetime shows.
I think we’re aware of that. No need to be pedantic...it’s not like it completely derailed the thread.

A prime time $ale could be interesting, maybe twice a week. Self-contained, but still with returning champs.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
A prime time $ale could be interesting, maybe twice a week. Self-contained, but still with returning champs.

I could see that working; if it was on a network, maybe three nights a week alternating with a different show the other two nights or vice versa.

If you were doing the shopping format, maybe switch out the merchandise in the back every two weeks. For the cash jackpot, perhaps $100,000 plus $5,000 per show until it's won? I think that's how I set up the netgame version I did at BigJon's back in 2011.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2019, 02:41:15 PM »
If you were doing the shopping format, maybe switch out the merchandise in the back every two weeks. For the cash jackpot, perhaps $100,000 plus $5,000 per show until it's won?
$100,000 is still a rather large chunk of buckazoids. Does it really need to have a crawling cash jackpot that isn't your money and also won't appreciably increase interest?

If this is the show that is going to bring back carryover players to primetime game shows (Millionaire, Twenty-one, Greed and even Deal or No Deal had carryovers) I would squidge back the number of wins to five and ramp up the prize levels--car for four, lot for five. I think the format is largely bullet proof and the audience would know where things stand because the host would say "Last time our champion passed on the South America trip, so a win tonight means she can take home the luxury automobile."

I think that's how I set up the netgame version I did at BigJon's back in 2011.
Sorry to hear that.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2019, 07:31:11 AM »
$100,000 is still a rather large chunk of buckazoids. Does it really need to have a crawling cash jackpot that isn't your money and also won't appreciably increase interest?

I guess not; it could be a flat amount as long as it was more than the cumulative total of the prizes below it so they at least double their winnings. That way, you avoid situations where someone has to risk, say, $120,000 in prizes for an additional $100,000, which never really sat well with me.

Sorry to hear that.

Eh, don't be. Only lasted two shows because my hard drive on my first laptop crashed around that time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:12:15 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

JakeT

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2019, 08:00:05 PM »
I think one reason is because Sale is so reliant on returning champions
It certainly lasted into the 80's without them.

Huh????

JakeT

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2019, 07:58:14 AM »
Syndicated or Cable
Lingo
Sale of the Century
Supermarket sweep
The thread asked for primetime shows.
I think we’re aware of that. No need to be pedantic...it’s not like it completely derailed the thread.

I'm okay with it on these "Shows that should come back" threads, as they can easily turn into extensive wishlists for some posters.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Loogaroo

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
Sale of the Century could absolutely work as a self-contained hour. I could see it start with four players, whittling down to two as the game progresses (because third place was generally left in the dust by the speed round anyway). No need for an escalating cash jackpot, but put a $100K cash prize after the car and then the lot win after that.

Jackpot! could also work as a self-contained hour. Add a zero to the traditional dollar amounts, and whoever's on the spot when the hour is up answers a Super Jackpot-esque riddle for $100K. The $100K would also be up for grabs on a target match, natch.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Kevin Prather

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2019, 03:31:59 PM »
Jackpot! could also work as a self-contained hour. Add a zero to the traditional dollar amounts, and whoever's on the spot when the hour is up answers a Super Jackpot-esque riddle for $100K. The $100K would also be up for grabs on a target match, natch.

Problem I have with that setup is similar to Millionaire Hot Seat. Someone who's just been sitting on their thumbs the last 55 minutes could just stroll right in to a six-figure payday.