Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What should be the next "classic" revival for prime-time?  (Read 14587 times)

BrandonFG

Re: What should be the next "classic" revival for prime-time?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »
How might the chance of a Password return be affected by Jimmy Fallon playing it? It might improve the odds, especially if Fallon's people were involved, but then it'd probably have happened by now. Should they go retro? Would it be jarring to Tonight Show viewers to see it played for decent stakes?
I'm not following. I don't think viewers are going to examine a new, higher stakes Password that deeply, just like they didn't with Pyramid, which Fallon also plays on his show occasionally.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
Gosh, imagine what a new Tattletales could do with 21st Century video technology! I'd watch just for that.

What exactly would "21st Century video technology" do to improve "Tattletales"?  They're just celebrities off-stage with video feeds being sent on-stage...the only real difference I can imagine would be a flat screen vs. a CRT but that would have no bearing whatsover on the game...

JakeT

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
Going to go off the board and propose Beat the Odds. Such an underappreciated word game the whole family could play along with; plus it has a great "shout the answer at the TV" play-along factor missing from many of the current revivals. My second dream revival would be Video Village. I could only imagine how grand a modern-day revival of that one would be.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 10:50:36 PM »
Other prime time possibilities - High Rollers or Tic Tac Dough, but not for a million.
Seconding High Rollers. Given how unpredictable the bonus round is, $100,000 would be a fine prize. It's about time people are reintroduced to this fine game.

There's not much meat to Treasure Hunt besides the bits/prizes to reveal the box result. Though if someone wanted to have fun with the bits and expand the contestant pool to include men as well, I bet some fun could be had. Again, hide a check for $100K or go for the gusto and $1M.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
I would LOVE to see a new version of Sale, though it seems to me it'd be a better fit for syndication than a weekly prime time slot.

What's My Line or I've Got a Secret would be fun to see again; I would dump the small cash prizes and just give each contestant a prize for stumping the panel. Password would be good and could even use a recreation of the 60s set, especially given that those who watch Fallon may recognize it.

I wouldn't be surprised if ABC takes another crack at Millionaire with the original format, and I hope they keep it at only once or twice a week.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

tvwxman

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
Thought about this q recently. My offers.

YES Tattletales. Perfect for the celeb-hungry audience
Hollywood Squares (why hasn't CBS picked this up to promote their new stars???)
Password
Sale of the Century (do a weekly. get to know the contesti. offer a million at the end but buyouts that include cars, houses, whatever.)

and off the board: The Better Sex. With format changes, i'm kinda surprised this hasn't been redone...better.

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
Though there was word not too long ago that it was being considered for a rebirth, I'm not sure if "Celebrity Sweepstakes" was/could be considered for a prime-time spot.

Though it has all the desirable traits for a prime-time show (celebs, audience participation, high stakes potentials,...) my biggest concern is that they would take the "horse race" speed that we know and love from the original and turn it into a molasses race -- doing only doing a minimal amount of questions within the 30- or 60-minute span and wasting more time with celebrity interactions, like Hip Hop Squares.

mmb5

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 02:10:03 PM »
Not much of a revival per se, because the first thing you would have to do would be to change the title, but 70s Double Dare.  It was somewhat miscast as a daytime show, but definitely has more of a nighttime vibe, and would not lose much if it was slowed down a bit.  Spoilers can be celebrities.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

WhammyPower

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
I just thought of this off-the-wall idea: A revival of the UK's The Interceptor, with two modern-day changes: the Interceptor pilots drones instead of a helicopter ("taunting" could still be accomplished if the drones had two-way communication), and the contestants would also be shuttled to their starting positions via the ground instead of the air.

And if you've never seen this show, here's probably the most infamous episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqrqlTwdYj0

rebelwrest

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »
Going to go off the board and propose Beat the Odds. Such an underappreciated word game the whole family could play along with; plus it has a great "shout the answer at the TV" play-along factor missing from many of the current revivals.

I've always considered "Beat the Odds" the perfect local game show.  Cost next to nothing to produce, and a challenge to play.  I've been working on a structure of the show where every game you win puts your points into an account.  After you are defeated, you get to shop for prizes using your points.  If your account reaches a certain level, you get to buy the grand prize.  Is "Beat the Odds" is in the public domain?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

byrd62

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 09:52:36 PM »
Didn't production credit for the 1975 pilot of Beat the Odds with Chuck Henry, taped at ABC Prospect Studios, belong to Bill Carruthers, who ended up creating Second Chance/Press Your Luck?

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
Didn't production credit for the 1975 pilot of Beat the Odds with Chuck Henry, taped at ABC Prospect Studios, belong to Bill Carruthers, who ended up creating Second Chance/Press Your Luck?

It did.

SamJ93

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
Not much of a revival per se, because the first thing you would have to do would be to change the title, but 70s Double Dare.  It was somewhat miscast as a daytime show, but definitely has more of a nighttime vibe, and would not lose much if it was slowed down a bit.  Spoilers can be celebrities.

I'd definitely be behind this if there was some way to incorporate the Spoilers into the main game somehow. It always seemed like they just came out of left field for the bonus round and was very jarring.

I half-jokingly mentioned it in the "go home with nothing" thread...but in all seriousness, Debt would be perfect for a primetime slot, given how many millenials struggle with student loans.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »
You know what I'd love to see them do?  Tattletales.  Feud and Pyramid and Match Game have now proven that celebrities will play these games, and it's not necessary that both partners be famous to do this one.

This would have been a far better vehicle for Elizabeth Banks than Press Your Luck was.
Points for both. I thought Andy Cohen for TattleTales. Love Connection really didn't showcase his talents.

Casting win, and I'm not even that big a fan of Cohen.  You're right, he would be perfect.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
What exactly would "21st Century video technology" do to improve "Tattletales"?  They're just celebrities off-stage with video feeds being sent on-stage...the only real difference I can imagine would be a flat screen vs. a CRT but that would have no bearing whatsover on the game...

Yeah! Flat screens for the spouses! A light up floor! Graphics on the half-walls in front of the audience sections! Smaller headphones!

No, it wouldn't have any bearing on the game, but as a lad watching the original run, I never much cared for it unless Bob Newhart or Totie Fields was on, so I was more interested in the set.