Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What should be the next "classic" revival for prime-time?  (Read 14586 times)

Bob Zager

What should be the next "classic" revival for prime-time?
« on: September 20, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »
We've seen a lot of new, first-tried formats, as well as the hit revivals on ABC the last four seasons.  What "classic," would you like to see return?

Do you think "Split Second," could work in prime-time?  I'd heard Monty Hall wanted to try it, even if in weekly syndication in the '70s, but one problem was Tom Kennedy's commitment with NTT.

How about What's My Line?  There has been all kinds of talk about a revival in the past.

Neumms

Re: What should be the next "classic" revival for prime-time?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
Split Second requires too much intellect for prime time. I'd love to see it on GSN, though. They did The Chase, so not everything they try is America Says.

I'd love to see What's My Line, especially with the $50 grand prize, although it's entirely dependent on a great regular panel and Mystery Guests recognizable enough to require the blindfolds.

This was brought up on a different thread, but Hollywood Squares is a gimme. Weekly prime-time should attract good stars, and an hour would allow a reasonable number of games. Craig Ferguson in the center square? Tom Bergeron returning as your host?

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »
I'd love to see What's My Line, especially with the $50 grand prize, although it's entirely dependent on a great regular panel and Mystery Guests recognizable enough to require the blindfolds.

This was brought up on a different thread, but Hollywood Squares is a gimme. Weekly prime-time should attract good stars, and an hour would allow a reasonable number of games. Craig Ferguson in the center square? Tom Bergeron returning as your host?

If TTTT can work in prime time, they can give WML a try. The prize would have to go up from $50. I agree that the MGs should  be "blindfold worthy" so no reality stars as MGs, though we may get a couple as panelists. Maybe they can do "Who's Who" with audience members.

As for Squares, Bergeron is busy with DWTS and has said he will not host another game show. I do think he would've been good for TPIR. I think Craig Ferguson would work as a HS host. Maybe Mark Walberg or give Todd Newton a shot as a network host.

Other prime time possibilities - High Rollers or Tic Tac Dough, but not for a million.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
You know what I'd love to see them do?  Tattletales.  Feud and Pyramid and Match Game have now proven that celebrities will play these games, and it's not necessary that both partners be famous to do this one.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:03:16 PM »
You know what I'd love to see them do?  Tattletales.  Feud and Pyramid and Match Game have now proven that celebrities will play these games, and it's not necessary that both partners be famous to do this one.

This would have been a far better vehicle for Elizabeth Banks than Press Your Luck was.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
Here's one I thought of. "Name That Tune" was popular. The time might be right for a revival of that.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »
Here's one I thought of. "Name That Tune" was popular. The time might be right for a revival of that.
Somebody (Phil Gurin?) did a pilot for CBS in the last couple of years. The theme song was posted in the A/V section a while ago.

I’d love to see a new WML? or Password. Neither have to be played for high stakes, but I think a classic-style Password with an Alphabetics bonus round for $25K would be enjoyable.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »

Most excellently true. But I would pray that the questions not be smutted up.
czambo@mac.com

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »

Most excellently true. But I would pray that the questions not be smutted up.
So would I - if they are, you're going to get D-list celebrities, because those above won't bother.

Password was a good suggestion.  Sale of the Century might work for the suspense portion (take the prize at that level or play on?).  I guess since Concentration's owned by NBC, that's out.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
All right - if you're going to do a full hour, what say you about a modified version of Jackpot? 10 players, fast pace. $2000 pot to start. Riddle values between $500 and $1000. Correct answers by the King/Queen of the Hill put the value of the riddle in the jackpot. If missed, the player who read the (non-Jackpot) riddle gets the value of that riddle in cash. If a Jackpot riddle is missed, a new round starts, another $2000 added to the Jackpot, player who read the Jackpot riddle is new King/Queen of the Hill. At the end of regular playing time, the player with the most cash gets a shot at a Super Jackpot riddle for a major prize and appropriate cash amount ($50,000). Might be fun to hear questions in the form of clever riddles again, adding a humor element.  The format will need a little tinkering, but the spirit of the game should stay the same.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:18:55 AM by The Ol' Guy »

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 01:00:02 PM »
Classic format Millionaire.  Play it for 2.5m if you need to because spending other people's money is fun.

This would have been a far better vehicle for Elizabeth Banks than Press Your Luck was.
Dual likes for both of you.  I'm surprised that someone didn't try reviving it earlier in the more "TMZ" era of celebrity gossip.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Otm Shank

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 03:05:27 PM »
I was really hoping that Name That Tune was coming back, especially considering that Beat Shazaam has been doing fairly decent. I don't think it's completely ruled out yet, though CBS did not pick up the last pilot.

I think we are ready for a straight-up, non-Plus, non-Super, non-Million-Dollar Password. Jimmy Fallon has shown that the classic game is still good television, and, as a result, there is a good modern demo reel to illustrate that.

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
If TTTT can work in prime time, they can give WML a try. The prize would have to go up from $50.

They don't need prize money. The 50 bucks would be charming.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »

Points for both. I thought Andy Cohen for TattleTales. Love Connection really didn't showcase his talents.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
Gosh, imagine what a new Tattletales could do with 21st Century video technology! I'd watch just for that.

How might the chance of a Password return be affected by Jimmy Fallon playing it? It might improve the odds, especially if Fallon's people were involved, but then it'd probably have happened by now. Should they go retro? Would it be jarring to Tonight Show viewers to see it played for decent stakes?