Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95078 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2020, 05:38:12 PM »
After weeks upon weeks of it being burned out, they finally replaced the bulb in the lower right corner of the tens digit of the O player's score.

Now the bulb in the upper right corner is out.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2020, 08:38:48 PM »
Sorry, gang, I needed a bit to recover.

Tell you what, for all the silliness about my over-eagerness to see this, I was afraid it would be a bit of a letdown.  Happy to say, I was thrilled.  What a kick to see Bill's name on that giant wall, and to see him, sharp as ever, cracking Phyllis Diller up with his jokes! ("I was close to pasties...for the first time in thirty years.")  And the rest of the line-up!  Jay Leno, Brian Mitchell, Lyle Waggoner (Who seemed totally at ease.  Why didn't he do more games?), and of course Diller.  Richard Kline always struck me as someone who tried a little too hard, but I liked him here.  I think I'm really going to enjoy the rest of these too.

Thanks to the good Samaritan who's uploading them to YouTube.  These need to be preserved in the Archive that Adam and I maintain.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #332 on: February 09, 2020, 11:24:58 AM »
Poor Phyllis Diller got lost it seemed.

I don't know if she got lost, so much as a cue was given.  Industry-type people, here's a quick question: is there someone from the staff giving the stars their cue to walk on in situations like these, or were they on their own?  My completely amateur read of the situation, based on when she started walking out, was that whoever gave cues forgot to not give one for the first introduction and sent Phyllis out to die a death.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
My completely amateur read of the situation, based on when she started walking out, was that whoever gave cues forgot to not give one for the first introduction and sent Phyllis out to die a death.

That's how I saw it, too. A mistake by the stage manager made Phyllis look bad.

JMFabiano

« Reply #334 on: February 12, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »
On the topic of MG/HS....any idea when the episode where the board malfunctions is coming? 

(someone on YouTube said it's actually coming later THIS week, but I'll take that with a grain of salt.)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

catnap1972

« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2020, 10:27:37 PM »
Not so much the board malfunctioning, but is the sound/music off key tonight (MGHS) along with other issues with the tape or is it just my imagination?

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »
Not so much the board malfunctioning, but is the sound/music off key tonight (along with other issues with the tape) or is it just my imagination?

The opening theme definitely sounded weird upon first hearing. The video is also not your imagination, I was initally wondering if it was connection weakness with my internet that was leading to blurry quality until I saw the commercials in usual nice quality.

EDIT: well how bout that, the board did indeed malfunction. Bill's X wouldn't light up and Jon immediately threw it to commercial.

DOUBLE EDIT: back from commercial, and omg this episode is pure gold  ;D

JMFabiano

« Reply #337 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:06 PM »
Not so much the board malfunctioning, but is the sound/music off key tonight (along with other issues with the tape) or is it just my imagination?

The opening theme definitely sounded weird upon first hearing. The video is also not your imagination, I was initally wondering if it was connection weakness with my internet that was leading to blurry quality until I saw the commercials in usual nice quality.

The sound has had a lower pitch.  You notice it with the music, and with Gene's voice.  If you look carefully, the picture seems to be "blinking"

And whaddya know?  This is the malfunctioning/"flashers" episode! 

JakeT

« Reply #338 on: February 13, 2020, 10:54:37 PM »
Please tell me someone will post tonight's MG/HS to the video section since my Pluto is acting up and my register/monitor was too busy to go back and forth to the BUZZR live feed...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #339 on: February 13, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
Can you please elaborate? I don't think any of these references you keep making are that well-known.

Never mind. The lights in front of the celebrities didn't work.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #340 on: February 13, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »
Please tell me someone will post tonight's MG/HS to the video section since my Pluto is acting up and my register/monitor was too busy to go back and forth to the BUZZR live feed...

JakeT

Sure, I'll upload it to Google Drive and on Game Show Vault FB...will follow up with a link in a bit.

JMFabiano

« Reply #341 on: February 13, 2020, 11:00:31 PM »
Can you please elaborate? I don't think any of these references you keep making are that well-known.

Well, if you watched the episode just now, all should be obvious, but....

Back in the Usenet days, someone remembered an MG/HS episode where, during the Squares game, the symbols on the board started flashing on and off.  Bauman goes to commercial, quipping, "We don't allow flashers on this show."  When they come back, the panel has to improvise by holding their arms in the shape of X's and O's. 

This is indeed the episode that aired tonight on Buzzr. 

EDIT: And I see you caught on.

EDIT x 2 : Yeesh, the warbling bells in the Super Match segment.  Not a good transfer, Buzzr.

Bryce L.

« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2020, 11:05:36 PM »
Surprised they didn't do like the Davidson run of HS would do, and have printed cards with an X on one side and an O on the other, to hold up in cases like this.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2020, 11:13:07 PM »

Well, if you watched the episode just now, all should be obvious, but....

Back in the Usenet days, someone remembered an MG/HS episode where, during the Squares game, the symbols on the board started flashing on and off.  Bauman goes to commercial, quipping, "We don't allow flashers on this show."  When they come back, the panel has to improvise by holding their arms in the shape of X's and O's. 

This is indeed the episode that aired tonight on Buzzr. 

EDIT: And I see you caught on.

EDIT x 2 : Yeesh, the warbling bells in the Super Match segment.  Not a good transfer, Buzzr.

Yeah, Brandon, how could you forget that thing that was posted to ATGS 20 years ago?

I am completely dumbstruck that on a stage full of large index cards and magic markers, this was the most elegant solution that anybody could think of.

BrandonFG

« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2020, 11:19:21 PM »
Surprised they didn't do like the Davidson run of HS would do, and have printed cards with an X on one side and an O on the other, to hold up in cases like this.
Wasn't that just for the Florida episodes, or did they have one for the main studio eps. too?

I imagine they could've simply used the marquee for a makeshift tic-tac-toe grid, considering they already used a grid pattern for the MG portion.

ETA: Never mind. It was at least possible (taken from a different episode).

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:34:16 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!