Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95163 times)

Scrabbleship

Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2020, 07:05:35 PM »
I don't think we even know for sure that Buzzr is following the same policy GSN did regarding celebrity clearances.
I guess we'll know if we ever see Bob and Ginny Newhart on Tattletales - that seemed to be the one couple GSN never showed.

The whole thing with the Newharts was odd. One or both of them vetoed their appearances on Tattletales and Super Password but they later changed course, namely after GSN really cared about the former. While GSN never reran their first appearance on SP, they did run the second.

Oddly, Bob's appearances on Marshall syndicated Squares and his appearance as a What's My Line? Mystery Guest in the wake of "Button Down Mind" didn't fall into this.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »
Nor did Bob's one appearance on nighttime Password in the 60s.

tvmitch

« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2020, 09:34:27 AM »
I don't think we even know for sure that Buzzr is following the same policy GSN did regarding celebrity clearances.
Matt (or others), could you go into some detail about celebrity clearances with GSN? Would GSN seek the clearance from the celebrity...and would the celeb then get residuals? Just curious about that whole process works.
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »
Matt (or others), could you go into some detail about celebrity clearances with GSN? Would GSN seek the clearance from the celebrity...and would the celeb then get residuals? Just curious about that whole process works.

There are people who know the specifics better than I do, but the very short version is that GSN/Sony decided to try and get permission from every celebrity that appeared, and if a celebrity said no, then that celebrity's shows wouldn't be shown.   Luckily, very few said no.  Residuals didn't come into play because of the age of the episodes, but I think GSN did offer token payments.  Soupy Sales tells of expecting a windfall for his WML shows, but ending up with some laughably small amount.

I am told that Tattletales was particularly problematic.  My friend at GSN says that Newhart's people specifically said no to Tattletales, but yes to other appearances.   No idea why.  While this wouldn't be the problem in Newhart's case, you can imagine that some celebrities would veto their appearances because of who their partner was at the time.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
On the residuals note, I remember Dick Debartolo posting a picture of two checks for his Match Game work and they came to a total of approximately 30 cents.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

snowpeck

« Reply #305 on: February 03, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »

There are people who know the specifics better than I do, but the very short version is that GSN/Sony decided to try and get permission from every celebrity that appeared, and if a celebrity said no, then that celebrity's shows wouldn't be shown.   Luckily, very few said no.  Residuals didn't come into play because of the age of the episodes, but I think GSN did offer token payments.  Soupy Sales tells of expecting a windfall for his WML shows, but ending up with some laughably small amount.

I am told that Tattletales was particularly problematic.  My friend at GSN says that Newhart's people specifically said no to Tattletales, but yes to other appearances.   No idea why.  While this wouldn't be the problem in Newhart's case, you can imagine that some celebrities would veto their appearances because of who their partner was at the time.

I can also imagine celebrities being embarrassed in hindsight by some of the personal details that would come out on a show like Tattletales as opposed to something as innocuous as Password.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JMFabiano

« Reply #306 on: February 03, 2020, 10:18:19 PM »
Another M-word banishment tonight on MG/HS.

And now we wonder what Sybil thought no one wanted to lick.

EDIT: Another $30,000 win.  Didn't see that coming.  As the old Usenet posts that compiled the $30K wins they knew of didn't mention it. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:51:32 AM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Allstar87

« Reply #307 on: February 03, 2020, 11:45:24 PM »

According to Jason Cranmer, if you watch as she writes her answer, she spells out ASS.

Sodboy13

« Reply #308 on: February 04, 2020, 12:08:00 AM »
Adding "JACK" as a prefix makes it suitable for broadcast.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #309 on: February 04, 2020, 01:56:52 AM »

EDIT: Another $30,000 win.  Didn't see that coming.

How many times has Jon had the 30 card now, twice?

Did Leonard Frey ever do any other game show? I never remember seeing him on anything else (sure as heck didn't know who he was until MGHS).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Scrabbleship

« Reply #310 on: February 04, 2020, 05:15:49 AM »

EDIT: Another $30,000 win.  Didn't see that coming.

How many times has Jon had the 30 card now, twice?

Did Leonard Frey ever do any other game show? I never remember seeing him on anything else (sure as heck didn't know who he was until MGHS).

This was Jon's third time with the 30. The third time in as many weeks - 12/26/83 & 1/4/84 the first two.
What's funnier is that between the last $30K win and this one there were ZERO wins over $1K - two burnouts at the H2H sandwiched by NINE losses.

A quick scan of iMDB and the Goodson Wikia, as inaccurate as they may be, have Leonard Frey down as having done the following.

The "Heroes vs. Villians" All-Star Family Feud Special (2/5/82; coincidentally playing against one "Bowzer")
One week of Body Language (11/4-8/85, with Abby Dalton)
Three weeks of Super Password (12/16-20/85 with Martha Smith, 5/5-9/86 with Emma Samms, 1/26-30/87 with Nancy Stafford)

What I find funnier is that he's still being billed this week as being from Mr. Smith nearly a good month after that show ended. This wasn't the first time that MGHS billed someone from a dead show (Alfie Wise and Trauma Center) and it wouldn't be the last (Chuck Wagner and Automan). How far in advance did they record these things?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #311 on: February 04, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »

I've seen a complete listing of the celebrities who appeared on the nighttime show, and the Newharts did more than half of them.  I guess that likely means most of the syndie episodes will probably never be seen again.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #312 on: February 04, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
I've seen a complete listing of the celebrities who appeared on the nighttime show, and the Newharts did more than half of them.
How many episodes were produced?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Ian Wallis

« Reply #313 on: February 04, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Sodboy13

« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2020, 01:17:47 AM »

They missed one tonight.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation