Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95017 times)

chrisholland03

Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #285 on: December 12, 2019, 06:44:33 AM »
I cannot parse that sentence.

aaron sica

« Reply #286 on: December 12, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »

Believe it or not, they used to be much, much worse.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #287 on: December 12, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »

Believe it or not, they used to be much, much worse.

That's improvement?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

catnap1972

« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2019, 07:43:53 PM »
Probably would be better in its own thread but has anyone ever kept the $5000 savings bond on TANLMAD?  I remember it having been passed up/traded away at least 3 times but don't remember anyone ever keeping it.

Sodboy13

« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2020, 11:02:51 PM »
Stan Freberg is a surprising get for this show. I dont recall him doing many game shows -- IMDB says he did Everybodys Talking in the 60s -- so I'm curious how this booking came about.
You're not the only one. Mark Evanier, who was quite chummy with Freberg, says he didn't even know about his pal's appearance on MGHS. He also has more to say about the show in this blog post, which includes some interesting anecdotes and his opinion of the show in general:

https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/11/02/twice-two-4/

So, after watching tonight's episode, funny story about Jon Bauman's little anecdote...
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PPatters

« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2020, 11:22:12 PM »
So, after watching tonight's episode, funny story about Jon Bauman's little anecdote...

For those of us that didn’t watch it, may you elaborate?
Patrick

Sodboy13

« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2020, 11:55:45 PM »
Jon played the Super Match, and very openly declared he had written down two answers for it. (He only put one in the slot, and that's the one that counted.)
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
Jon played the Super Match, and very openly declared he had written down two answers for it. (He only put one in the slot, and that's the one that counted.)
Actually, that's not that unusual.  Even in the 70s MG, you'd see panelists write more than one answer and silently show them to the celebs around them as if to get a quick consensus.  (Brett, especially, was notorious for that.)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Scrabbleship

« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »
Actually, that's not that unusual.  Even in the 70s MG, you'd see panelists write more than one answer and silently show them to the celebs around them as if to get a quick consensus.  (Brett, especially, was notorious for that.)

In the Super Match? I think that MGP was still hurting from the seven straight $10K+ wins they had leading into Christmas, eight straight wins counting Tom Poston's narcoleptic fit on the Christmas Eve Eve show.

/ I would've said Struthers.
// Problem is that I also would have taken Dick Martin's choice of "Airlines" in the H2H.
/// Knowing that Butch Hartman eventually made it bigger than most of the panel mitigates some of the pain of finding the 30 and losing on back to back days.

JMFabiano

« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »

Yeah, it's happened before.  With MG/HS, another instance with Bauman doing this again is to come, if we are to believe TV Tropes' section on the show. 

Evanier's description applied to it happening on the main game. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chrisholland03

« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2020, 09:06:43 AM »
I must be broken, but I really am enjoying MG/HS hour.  It's definitely gotten better 10 weeks in.

Sodboy13

« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
The show does feel like it's found a gear this week. I'm not certain whether Gene is looser or grouchier or both, but his presence has more energy to it. Bringing a loud and hacky prop comic like Vic Dunlop front-and-center to illustrate the difference between pulling something out of one's pants and pulling something out of one's shorts was the kind of weird I am here for. Bauman is getting more comfortable in his role, though his attempts to go off-script still fall flat quite often for me. The HS questions seem to be getting a bit more suggestive and sillier, and are giving the panelists more to work with, even in the confines of the multiple-choice format with no advance prep.

Also, this should probably come as no surprise, but Arsenio Hall is really good at this. If this show had found a footing and they tried to build a fresh crop of regulars, he's a standout. Also, way to lead off the week with some low-key shots at Fred Travalena, and the knowing groans that followed from some others on the stage.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2020, 09:05:02 AM »
It's going to be interesting to see how Buzzr handles the 1/30-2/3/84 week when that comes up towards the end of this month. I would think editing out the rambling plugs for the home viewer match on top of nuking most fee plugs would leave them a little short versus normal running time.

That is, if they can even rerun it in the first place because of Fern Fitzgerald. On that tangent, is there anyone we know of who has vetoed Buzzr reruns of their appearances as a guest?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2020, 05:04:45 PM »
On that tangent, is there anyone we know of who has vetoed Buzzr reruns of their appearances as a guest?

I don't think we even know for sure that Buzzr is following the same policy GSN did regarding celebrity clearances.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2020, 06:43:05 PM »
I don't think we even know for sure that Buzzr is following the same policy GSN did regarding celebrity clearances.
I guess we'll know if we ever see Bob and Ginny Newhart on Tattletales - that seemed to be the one couple GSN never showed.