Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95082 times)

Scrabbleship

Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #270 on: November 23, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
Speaking of, one thing I seem to notice more and more...is it just me or does that HS setup look incredibly cramped?
A friend attended a taping as a child. He vividly remembers Gene Rayburn visibly sucking in his gut just to sit down. So yes, cramped.
After watching some of this past week's shows, it's tempting to ask how Richard Deacon (who had clearly gained a lot of weight over the years) managed to fit in the seats at all.  (It may not have been quite as cramped as I originally thought.)

Was Deacon in poor health by this time? I know that he looked a bit better earlier that year when 5/7ths of the Beaver stars played one of the classic TV weeks of daytime Feud, but IIRC this was one of his last TV appearances before he passed away shortly after MG/HS ended.

That whole week was either a disaster foisted on them by NBC, a cost-cutting measure (especially after seven straight wins of $10K or more in the Super Match leading into it), or both. Crunching some stats, Deacon was the only person of the eight that week with any experience with either game.

JMFabiano

« Reply #271 on: November 23, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
Speaking of, one thing I seem to notice more and more...is it just me or does that HS setup look incredibly cramped?
A friend attended a taping as a child. He vividly remembers Gene Rayburn visibly sucking in his gut just to sit down. So yes, cramped.
After watching some of this past week's shows, it's tempting to ask how Richard Deacon (who had clearly gained a lot of weight over the years) managed to fit in the seats at all.  (It may not have been quite as cramped as I originally thought.)

Was Deacon in poor health by this time? I know that he looked a bit better earlier that year when 5/7ths of the Beaver stars played one of the classic TV weeks of daytime Feud, but IIRC this was one of his last TV appearances before he passed away shortly after MG/HS ended.

That whole week was either a disaster foisted on them by NBC, a cost-cutting measure (especially after seven straight wins of $10K or more in the Super Match leading into it), or both. Crunching some stats, Deacon was the only person of the eight that week with any experience with either game.

I feel this is why he got to play Match Game all week.  Because of his physical condition, as it were, he couldn't climb to the top HS tier/would be easier for him not to.  Kind of like the treatment of Nedra Volz thus far. 

Remained in good humor though, right down to being snippy when the crowd booed his answers.  On the Monday episode, him and Gene looked to be having fun, between MG and being on the same Squares tier.  And I know it's still the first few months of the show, but I don't see the grumpy Gene trope, at least as much as people remembered out of MG/HS.  Seemed to be a bit confused briefly at times, but still lots of "classic Gene" moments and humor. 

And this would be the first time MG/HS made an effort to have one center square (Jerry/Beaver). 

BTW...Last night's episode wasn't much better.....first $30,000 loss.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:47:51 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #272 on: November 23, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »
Will any of the Beaver episodes be repeated tonight and/or tomorrow?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #273 on: November 23, 2019, 08:44:21 PM »
One of the contestants on today's episode of Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour was an aspiring animator named Butch Hartman, who would eventually go on to create the Nickelodeon cartoon The Fairly OddParents (among others). Based on the quick internet search I just performed, it looks like even his fans didn't know about this appearance until tonight.

I sure didn't. Nor did I notice how much he looks like Dr. Rip Studwell from his biggest hit. (Of which he also voiced...and he still looks like that, so many years later.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:11:51 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2019, 09:05:31 PM »
The Tuesday show is rerunning now, plus at 11 PM Eastern.  The Wednesday show reruns at 3 PM Eastern tomorrow.

Richard Deacon wasn't the only guest to play exclusively Match Game this week.  Jerry Mathers was the center square for the week, for obvious reasons.  Gallagher did, presumably because each show had Gallagher introduced first, then the whole shebang about Leave It to Beaver's cast.  Ken Osmond as well, to Beaver's left.  Barbara Billingsley, Rich Cordell, Jeri Well, and Frank Bank rotated taking the leftover Match Game spot.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:25:43 PM by MikeK »

Sodboy13

« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2019, 12:40:25 AM »
So, the Gallagher thing. Was that because Tony Dow bailed last-minute or something?

Also, MG-HS really helps show the importance of the rhythm of the panel the original had. Six men on the panel for MG feels like it really throws something off.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2019, 12:53:53 AM »
How many women joined for HS?
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2019, 01:56:22 AM »
So, the Gallagher thing. Was that because Tony Dow bailed last-minute or something?

I think it's just their formula at work. They routinely booked one bonafide comic, likely to bolster the comedy in a joke-less Squares, and/or to help inject humor where an NBC soap opera star may not be able to provide on Match Game. The MGHSH "Salute to the Fifties" had a bunch of stars of yesteryear and Jay Leno.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Sodboy13

« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2019, 11:04:49 PM »
The Tuesday show is rerunning now, plus at 11 PM Eastern.  The Wednesday show reruns at 3 PM Eastern tomorrow.

Richard Deacon wasn't the only guest to play exclusively Match Game this week.  Jerry Mathers was the center square for the week, for obvious reasons.  Gallagher did, presumably because each show had Gallagher introduced first, then the whole shebang about Leave It to Beaver's cast.  Ken Osmond as well, to Beaver's left.  Barbara Billingsley, Rich Cordell, Jeri Well, and Frank Bank rotated taking the leftover Match Game spot.

Also notable--the MG segment had the cast members' actual names in their podia, while the HSq and Super Match segments used their character names.  (Gallagher got to play the Gallagher character all show long--he earned that right after his last watermelon explosion.)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

catnap1972

« Reply #280 on: November 25, 2019, 10:40:50 PM »
The 12/2 schedule has episode 5 listed, which I assume means they cycle back sometime during the previous week.
They cycle back to episode 2 on 11/25.

They're making a complete mess of tonight's episode (#2).  Their system doesn't know where to stick the commercial breaks.

JMFabiano

« Reply #281 on: November 26, 2019, 10:59:11 AM »
The 12/2 schedule has episode 5 listed, which I assume means they cycle back sometime during the previous week.
They cycle back to episode 2 on 11/25.

They're making a complete mess of tonight's episode (#2).  Their system doesn't know where to stick the commercial breaks.

Which may be because they used the same print they did on the February marathon...as in, before they started cutting out the fee plugs. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
Dunno if I missed this, but watching Pluto, BUZZR just aired a commercial for its 5th Annual "Betty White Christmas", which starts December 16. The TV is basically on in the background and on mute, but I noticed the usual games like Match Game and at least one of the Passwords. I imagine Tattletales might make the marathon as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2019, 11:36:19 PM »
This year's Betty binge is supposed to be all new-to-Buzzr episodes. It runs the 16th through the 20th, with a repeat on Christmas Day.

ivoryman1986

« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2019, 12:22:48 AM »
I can also imagine if the Super Password episodes from January 13-17, 1986 opposed with Richard Simmons can make the marathon as well or even the July 21-25, 1986 week with Howard Morton opposing her, one episode from that week was featured as a full episode encore in the form of As Seen On Theatre, maybe Mr. Locklin(aka blanquepage) can remember that.