Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95060 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2019, 03:08:27 AM »
Tonight should be the official Christmas episode, with the electronic wall displaying tree designs.

Proving that in addition to yellow and green, each of those squares could display red. I'll be darned -- that explains the different color during the opening.

Gene says that the wall contains 2,304 bulbs. Given that the wall is made up of 768 squares, if each square contains one yellow bulb, one green bulb, and one red bulb, he's right.

BillCullen1

« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
Tonight should be the official Christmas episode, with the electronic wall displaying tree designs.

Yes, but the funniest thing last night was Tom Poston zoning out and not realizing he had to write an answer for the Head-to-Head match. I can only imagine what they were saying in the control room. "What's taking him so long? What the BLEEP is he doing?" Also, Marty Cohen with a picture of a menorah with only seven candles instead of eight.

JMFabiano

« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »

Yes, but the funniest thing last night was Tom Poston zoning out and not realizing he had to write an answer for the Head-to-Head match. I can only imagine what they were saying in the control room. "What's taking him so long? What the BLEEP is he doing?" Also, Marty Cohen with a picture of a menorah with only seven candles instead of eight.

Now I haven't watched every episode.  But this is the first I saw where they only finished one game of HS.   It was a five square win in favor of the champion.  Don't think even the other few eps. with 5SWs were one-game matches.

Proving that in addition to yellow and green, each of those squares could display red. I'll be darned -- that explains the different color during the opening.

I had to look carefully to see if it was red or the lighter purple seen in the opening.  (Or is it a shade of red indeed?)

Now, You Make The Call time....

Contestant bombed out on the Audience Match, even though she said "hot" for "_____ Lover" and the $1,000 answer was "RED hot" lover.  Would you find her answer close enough, or not? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:22:16 AM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #258 on: November 15, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »
So not only do we not get the Bill Cullen week, they’re missing a self-promotion opportunity by jumping back right before a week with David Ruprecht!
WHAT?!?! No Bill Cullen week? I feel like someone should check in on Matt to see how he's doing.

I got the news this morning, and I'm not taking it well.  Still, the prevailing wisdom from my friend who told me the news is that Buzzr will cycle through all these episodes a second time, and then continue to move forward with new ones.  The theory being they're too invested in the series to have only copied forty episodes.  In the traditional network model, it would make sense to have reruns playing during the less-viewed holiday season, so maybe there's some logic to that theory.

Using Classic Concentration last year as evidence, they showed six weeks of new episodes in Oct/Nov, then reran them for a while, and restarted them for a further hundred in mid-January.

/I just wish they would finish off Beat the Clock 79.  They stopped with 30 eps to go, including the Christmas week.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #259 on: November 15, 2019, 09:59:39 AM »
I just wish they would finish off Beat the Clock 79.  They stopped with 30 eps to go, including the Christmas week.

Has Buzzr even showed BtC '79 since the period when it was pressed into primetime duty after the Wordplay debacle? I wonder if they would have finished it off had Supermarket Sweep not come into their possession.

I got the news this morning, and I'm not taking it well.  Still, the prevailing wisdom from my friend who told me the news is that Buzzr will cycle through all these episodes a second time, and then continue to move forward with new ones.  The theory being they're too invested in the series to have only copied forty episodes.  In the traditional network model, it would make sense to have reruns playing during the less-viewed holiday season, so maybe there's some logic to that theory.

Unless they pick and choose episodes, I would like to think that everything up to at least the St. Elsewhere week (Week 22, March 26-30) has been converted. And looking at the episode guide, maybe some of those weeks might be the worth the wait even if two of them may be skipped for clearance reasons (Fern Fitzgerald in Week 14, James B. Sikking in Week 21).

I buy the "it's going to be the holidays, might as well wait a little" reasoning. This would get us to mid-January with the return of the trees and Santa Bowzer coming to signal the end of Epiphany.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #260 on: November 15, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Unless they pick and choose episodes, I would like to think that everything up to at least the St. Elsewhere week (Week 22, March 26-30) has been converted.

Buzzr does pick and choose sometimes when it comes to their special marathons. The Jenny Jones episodes of Press Your Luck are outside of what the network has aired of that series so far (see also, from marathons past, the Press Your Luck Independence Day episode and the Match Game PM episode with Brian Billick as a contestant). So it's possible that Buzzr wanted a Howie Mandel MGHS episode for their recent marathon and only converted the one.

I had to look carefully to see if it was red or the lighter purple seen in the opening.  (Or is it a shade of red indeed?)

My hunch is that the lighter purple in the opening is the result of the bright blue lights shining on the wall mixing with red squares that aren't exceptionally bright. (Especially after Gene gave that very specific number of bulbs that works out mathematically.)

Now, You Make The Call time....

Contestant bombed out on the Audience Match, even though she said "hot" for "_____ Lover" and the $1,000 answer was "RED hot" lover.  Would you find her answer close enough, or not?

Without knowing how the producers grouped the audience answers to get their results, I don't know. But Marty Cohen looked like he was ready to object; however, Gene was too focused on getting the show to come in on time to let him speak.

When Gene said "Johnny ______," I will proudly admit that my first response was Olson (and then I figured out what the "correct" answer was).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #261 on: November 15, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »
How many cells on the wall?
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #262 on: November 15, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »
How many cells on the wall?

Breaking the wall down into its four identical sections (the center two rotate when Gene and Jon enter), each section is 12 cells across by 16 cells high.

(Or putting it another way: Each section appears to be made of twelve 4×4 grids, 3 grids across by 4 grids high.)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »
Buzzr's website has updated through Friday. 

Show #045 on Friday, not #002.

Edit: Further, the site Greg linked to apparently defaults to ep #2 as the listing for no data available, as their site now also shows "Episode 2" listed for the following Monday AND Tuesday - and while Buzzr might recycle runs, that's just a little much.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:34:35 AM by Chelsea Thrasher »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »
Buzzr's website has updated through Friday. 

Show #045 on Friday, not #002.

Edit: Further, the site Greg linked to apparently defaults to ep #2 as the listing for no data available, as their site now also shows "Episode 2" listed for the following Monday AND Tuesday - and while Buzzr might recycle runs, that's just a little much.

You people are conspiring to do this just to mess with my head, aren't you?  Uncle Matt can't take much more of this.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

snowpeck

« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
Mea culpa. Wonder how far they are going to go.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

snowpeck

« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »
Okay, so I was right about them going back, but wrong about the exact date. The rest of next week isn't up on Buzzr's site yet, but the first few days of December are. The 12/2 schedule has episode 5 listed, which I assume means they cycle back sometime during the previous week. Click view source on the below link.

http://buzzrtv.com/schedule/schedule_by_date/2019-12-2/America/New_York
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bryce L.

« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2019, 04:33:34 AM »
The 12/2 schedule has episode 5 listed, which I assume means they cycle back sometime during the previous week.
They cycle back to episode 2 on 11/25.

http://buzzrtv.com/schedule/schedule_by_date/2019-11-25/America/New_York

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #268 on: November 23, 2019, 02:20:37 AM »
One of the contestants on today's episode of Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour was an aspiring animator named Butch Hartman, who would eventually go on to create the Nickelodeon cartoon The Fairly OddParents (among others). Based on the quick internet search I just performed, it looks like even his fans didn't know about this appearance until tonight.

calliaume

« Reply #269 on: November 23, 2019, 09:20:17 AM »
Speaking of, one thing I seem to notice more and more...is it just me or does that HS setup look incredibly cramped?
A friend attended a taping as a child. He vividly remembers Gene Rayburn visibly sucking in his gut just to sit down. So yes, cramped.
After watching some of this past week's shows, it's tempting to ask how Richard Deacon (who had clearly gained a lot of weight over the years) managed to fit in the seats at all.  (It may not have been quite as cramped as I originally thought.)