Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95013 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2019, 09:36:37 PM »
Golly--if the celebrity is that hard-up for screen time just put down an answer that's on the fringe of relatability. It's round one, no one would notice.

/unable to form a syndication deal? That would certainly strain the bounds of credulity, at least for this reader.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:22:08 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2019, 11:16:45 PM »
Starting from 195: preemptions for the three holidays the run spanned takes three off; why is a potential total of 191 episodes so off? Even if you take into account that the number still might be off it could just be one or two off.

Interesting read anyway.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Eric Paddon

« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2019, 01:19:16 AM »
The pre-emptions were Thanksgiving, January 2 (College Bowl games;  NFL playoff games had to air on Sunday January 1st) and July 4 and July 6 for NBC coverage of Wimbledon.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2019, 02:49:55 AM »
Interesting little tidbit about the "dishonest" part.  I'm shocked that person ever got invited back.

Definitely curious who it might be. Any hunches?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
Golly--if the celebrity is that hard-up for screen time just put down an answer that's on the fringe of relatability.

I was disappointed to read that - doesn't this fall under standards & practices, and making sure everything's on the up-and-up?  It could potentially cost a contestant the game.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

PYLdude

« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2019, 10:43:24 AM »
The pre-emptions were Thanksgiving, January 2 (College Bowl games;  NFL playoff games had to air on Sunday January 1st) and July 4 and July 6 for NBC coverage of Wimbledon.

So no Christmas preemption?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

tyshaun1

« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »

Christmas was on a Sunday in 1983.

aaron sica

« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
Christmas was on a Sunday in 1983. I think CBS, not NBC, had a playoff game the next day.

PYLdude

« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »

Christmas was on a Sunday in 1983.

Derp. Sorry. No coffee yet.

I think CBS, not NBC, had a playoff game the next day.

You think correctly; Rams-Cowboys.

cmjb13

« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
Was the reason they never asked Marshall to host was because Goodson didn’t want to have to pay (2) high priced talents?

They probably got Bowzer for scale and a couple of pizzas.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

PYLdude

« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »
IIRC Bowzer was foisted on them.

He really is growing on me, I have to say.

BrandonFG

« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2019, 06:58:49 PM »
All speculation, but work with me here.

MGHS replaced Fantasy, a Merrill Heatter Production. Peter leaves that show/it gets canceled, then hosts 1/2 of its direct replacement, also a Merrill Heatter Production at one point, but now isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if NBC simply thought that was too much of a headache, even if Peter was ready. I suppose Peter could've left Leslie Uggams to host the final few weeks solo?

Bowzer was not a bad host, but I don't think too many hosts would've been able to fill such big shoes, considering HS was only off the air for two years, after running for 15. He was entering the fire wearing a kerosene suit regardless.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
I understand that one of the conditions of getting MGHSH on the air was having Bowzer host the second half, but I wonder if it would have lasted longer with Gene and Peter hosting with Bowzer as the center square.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2019, 08:08:28 PM »
The hosting would have been better, but I'm not sure what JB brings as center square. Why not get an MG or HS regular for that?
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
Was the reason they never asked Marshall to host was because Goodson didn’t want to have to pay (2) high priced talents?

They probably got Bowzer for scale and a couple of pizzas.
Adam Nedeff has explained this a couple of times.  I've picked up a relevant quote from a different thread:

Somebody at NBC was really high on Jon Bauman, and part of the deal for this show was that Goodson HAD to use Bauman for the Squares half.