Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95074 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
Figures Blake Clark was doing standup. I thought 1983 was a little early for him to be in the public eye for anything.

I remember him as Harry the hardware store guy more so than as Chet Hunter, but his more memorable spot to me is in the latter role because of how he went out (dying of a heart attack in front of Shawn).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2019, 12:47:29 AM »
EDIT: I think I have discovered our answer...
Thanks for sharing that.  Not a terrible set for a guy I considered as a second fiddle. 
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Julius

« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2019, 02:05:16 PM »
Buzzr went back to Season 3 of Supermarket Sweep on Tuesday 10/22 starting with episode 338.
Julius May, Philadelphia PA

JMFabiano

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2019, 10:43:00 PM »
Michael Winslow AND Edie McClurg?  Schtick overload forthcoming...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2019, 12:11:14 AM »
Michael Winslow AND Edie McClurg?  Schtick overload forthcoming...
We're used to you by now. We can handle a Winslow-McClurg tag-team.

/ooh, wrestling reference.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Another day, another MG-HS Liz Taylor fat joke. They've definitely aged just as well as the assorted Asian and Native American lines from the '70s. Also, bit an unexpected interlude, with Gene spending about three minutes in the audience with a gaggle of beauty pageant contestants.

I find myself coming back to this show, not because it's good, but it is interesting.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2019, 11:01:16 PM »
Aside from it being a low-hanging fruit, I found a clip of Liz from 1983. Maybe it's because society finally decided to embrace women who wear anything above a size 4, but aside from them being rude, I don't see how these questions are even accurate. Did Liz have a controversial weight gain or something? And could they not have simply stuck to the "Fat Frieda" riddles and keep the same context?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2019, 12:26:41 AM »
Liz went through a big weight gain in the late 70s and that was when Joan Rivers in particular would start making "Fat Liz" jokes part of her stand-up and her appearances on Carson.    But by the mid-80s she took all the weight off and looked spectacular again.   Late 83 she may not have hit her peak weight loss but she was finally going in the other direction (look at pictures of her from 79-80 and that's where the reputation started.    John Belushi even did an SNL sketch dressed as a fat Liz gorging on chicken).

JMFabiano

« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
Aside from it being a low-hanging fruit, I found a clip of Liz from 1983. Maybe it's because society finally decided to embrace women who wear anything above a size 4, but aside from them being rude, I don't see how these questions are even accurate. Did Liz have a controversial weight gain or something? And could they not have simply stuck to the "Fat Frieda" riddles and keep the same context?

Besides what has been said about Liz and her looks before '83, "Hollywood fat" has always been a trope in the business.  Still is.  As a character-only example, on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, despite her jokes about herself, Valerie Harper playing Rhoda didn't look overweight either. 

Unfortunately, bodyshaming is one issue that hasn't been relegated to unacceptable.  Fat jokes and bullying therein about people, famous or otherwise, are still plentiful.  Still lots of work to do in the entertainment industry too. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

catnap1972

« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »
Woot!  One of the weeks of MGHS announced by Johnny O!

BrandonFG

« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2019, 10:05:27 PM »
Bruce Baum is on the panel...he mentions something about showing pictures of his childhood, which is actually a drawing of three sperm. I'm actually pretty shocked that joke passed in 1983.

Trauma Center seems to have replaced Mr. Smith as the short-lived TV show that's become a running joke, at least in this episode.

And because I'm sure you were wondering what this looked like, youtube.com/watch?v=MeztHwi04Xo&t=2m20s
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:33:14 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

catnap1972

« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2019, 10:08:48 PM »

Trauma Center seems to have replaced Mr. Smith as the short-lived TV show that's become a running joke, at least in this episode.

Assuming that "W" site is correct, Trauma Center had already flatlined by the time this week aired.

colonial

« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
Looking at Trauma Center's IMDB and Wiki pages, I was surprised that Burt Reynolds had nothing to do with it. Alfie Wise was "that guy who always showed up in Burt movies" in the 70s and 80s. As a kid I just presumed Alfie was Burt's driver or personal chef :)

Stan Freberg is a surprising get for this show. I dont recall him doing many game shows -- IMDB says he did Everybodys Talking in the 60s -- so I'm curious how this booking came about.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »
Stan Freberg is a surprising get for this show. I dont recall him doing many game shows -- IMDB says he did Everybodys Talking in the 60s -- so I'm curious how this booking came about.
You're not the only one. Mark Evanier, who was quite chummy with Freberg, says he didn't even know about his pal's appearance on MGHS. He also has more to say about the show in this blog post, which includes some interesting anecdotes and his opinion of the show in general:

https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/11/02/twice-two-4/

calliaume

« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
You're not the only one. Mark Evanier, who was quite chummy with Freberg, says he didn't even know about his pal's appearance on MGHS. He also has more to say about the show in this blog post, which includes some interesting anecdotes and his opinion of the show in general:

https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/11/02/twice-two-4/
Interesting little tidbit about the "dishonest" part.  I'm shocked that person ever got invited back.