Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95086 times)

Sodboy13

Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
Seems like we're skipping the Monday MG-HS for this week.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Mr. Matté

« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »
Seems like we're skipping the Monday MG-HS for this week.

The Monday episode from this week aired on Friday since the previous week was off for Thanksgiving.

P.S., the Maury from Perry and Rafferty CS is a contestant on today's episode.

Sodboy13

« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »
Ah, I didn't watch last Thursday or Friday, thanks. I thought I had seen Maury on CS on Buzzr, but I didn't realize he had made appearances day and night.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

JMFabiano

« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2019, 11:33:34 AM »
Haven't been watching, has Volz been on every MG segment this week so far?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2019, 02:45:58 PM »
Also, in the initial "starburst" animations, is there a layer of purple in there, or is that just a trick my eyes/the tape are playing as the lights switch rapidly between yellowish-white and blue?

I assumed it was a trick of the eyes, but I slowly went through yesterday's opening frame by frame. And I'll be danged -- as the pattern contracts, there are roughly six frames where the center looks purple and stays purple (if it had been an optical illusion from the rapid changing, it wouldn't have stayed that color consistently for so long). And the shade of purple in the center never matches the mid-change shades created by the outer edges of the squares as those lights turn on and off.

So either the squares had the ability to display purple (which I wouldn't think is likely, but then again, they could turn green for exactly one pattern), or possibly those squares' yellow lights were dimmed to just the right level where the yellow light mixed with the blue spotlights being shined on the marquee to make the light appear purple (even though science dictates that the squares would need to be emitting red light for that to work)? I'm baffled.

Sodboy13

« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2019, 10:11:21 PM »
Buzzr is now using the original promos from '80s LMAD to promote their airings of the show. Cute touch!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2019, 10:33:00 PM »
Watching MG-HSH tonight...
The "Blake" guy looks and sounds like the guy who owned the hardware store on Home Improvement.   Is it?  If so, what did had he done of note that merited an appearance?
Also, Aresnio related a story about appearing on another game show on another network.  What did he appear on?

Thirdly, I'm on my third beer.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2019, 10:40:37 PM »
Blake Clark was in the last episode of MASH, After MASH and Greatest American Hero.

/source IMDB, I don’t just walk around knowing that.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2019, 11:21:20 PM »
Arsenio was still pretty new to the scene in 1983, and off the top of my head, the only network shows featuring celebrities in the late-70s/early-80s were Match Game, Pyramid, or Marshall's Hollywood Squares. Maybe celebrity Feud? But I don't recall seeing his name on any of those, nor do I think he was quite as prominent pre-MGHS. Anything Goes on Playboy?

Not network, but I wouldn't be surprised if he appeared on Make Me Laugh, and simply got confused.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
Wikipedia states that he was an announcer/sidekick for Thicke of the Night, which came and went from 1983-1984. That may explain where he came from at that time.

gamed121683

« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »
Watching MG-HSH tonight...
The "Blake" guy looks and sounds like the guy who owned the hardware store on Home Improvement.   Is it?  If so, what did had he done of note that merited an appearance?

Sure was! TGIF fans probably know him better as Shawn's dad, Chet Hunter, on Boy Meets World. What might've netted him an appearance on the show was the fact that...I believe he was also on Remington Steele .

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »
What might've netted him an appearance on the show was the fact that...I believe he was also on Remington Steele .

Given the time period and the obsessive lengths to which NBC went to use MG/HS as a promotional tool for its various series, that makes the most sense.  But man, "Fred the driver" barely registered on the show.  Blake must have had a really good agent.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JakeT

« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2019, 07:27:19 PM »
Blake Clark also played the warden in the short-lived FOX sitcom "Women In Prison"...

I seem to recall him possibly doing some standup comedy in his early career as well...he may well have appeared on "The Tonight Show" with Carson...

EDIT: I think I have discovered our answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buvIXaviqXs

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2019, 07:40:39 PM »
Wikipedia states that he was an announcer/sidekick for Thicke of the Night, which came and went from 1983-1984. That may explain where he came from at that time.

Arsenio did mention his work on "The Alan Thicke Show" during some of the pre-game chatter...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2019, 07:46:30 PM »
EDIT: I think I have discovered our answer...

(clip snipped)
Wiki mentions he appeared quite a few times between 1982 and '84. Given MGHSH liked to include up-and-coming comedians (Arsenio, Paul Provenza, and Marty Cohen come to mind) alongside NBC stars, I'll lean towards this theory as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!