Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95035 times)

BrandonFG

Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »
Watching that intro kinda makes me wonder if anyone had any issues navigating to the tiers, considering it was dark and the only lighting came from the spotlight. It looks like George had a little trouble finding his spot at center stage.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ivoryman1986

« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2019, 04:58:20 PM »
Well, audibly, by Bill's week of episodes, they began using the time's up schoolbell that sounded similar to Child's Play, another former Goodson/Todman culture hit that Bill himself calls it. Now, MG-HS Hour wasn't the first NBC show to establish a 5-episode limit, Hitman had a 10-episode limit, Just Men had women players shown the exit after winning 5 episodes if the car didn't start or if her key selection started the car. Looking over with the episode guide, surprised that Martha Smith appeared on this show but not her older sister Shelley, who starred on her own series "For Love and Honor".

Sodboy13

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
And now, you know the rest of the something.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2019, 09:24:33 PM »
Did we all fall into the nexus of the universe?
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »
I'm going to throw in my two cents of "Why Not This?":

At the end of each program, the credits run against a static shot of the marquee board.  I'll admit this was pretty cool for 1983 (and I'm sure nobody was thinking about how it would look 36 years later), but it seems a shame that it never occurred to anyone, "Why don't we have a mill around like we did on What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth?"  Of the 11 people who were on camera during a good portion of the program, you only get to see five or six during the closing credits.  Maybe that wasn't the case when there was a long crawl (I haven't seen one of those yet), or maybe it was changed later in the run, but it seems like they missed an opportunity.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »
They changed to a mill around later in the run. (Skip to 44:20 in the video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN64Mk0Ky_4

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2019, 07:48:53 PM »
At the end of each program, the credits run against a static shot of the marquee board.

That seems to be somewhat standard for Goodson-Todman shows of that period. On Perry Card Sharks, Cullen Blockbusters, and Password Plus, all of the disclaimers would run over a wide shot of the set. Only if there was a long crawl (or maybe a few extra seconds after the copyright card) would the director then start taking closeups of the host and contestants talking.

Sodboy13

« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2019, 01:04:30 AM »
Tonight on MG-HS:

Fudge!
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2019, 06:00:38 AM »
Watching that intro kinda makes me wonder if anyone had any issues navigating to the tiers, considering it was dark and the only lighting came from the spotlight. It looks like George had a little trouble finding his spot at center stage.

So wait...the marquee board doesn't give off any light? Kinda surprising.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

calliaume

« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:26 AM »
They changed to a mill around later in the run. (Skip to 44:20 in the video below)

I like this better than the early episodes they're airing now, but I hope somebody said something to Gene and Jon after this.  Ted Knight says something to the contestant at the start of the mill around - and then walks away, leaving her alone (she's on the left of the screen; virtually everybody else is on the right).  Fortunately, Arsenio Hall noticed this and ran down to hug her and talk.

It's tough enough being a contestant on television; the hosts are supposed to be there for them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:52:33 PM by calliaume »

tpirfan28

« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2019, 06:31:48 PM »
Classic Concentration: the episode immediately following the Home Rebus Game (Judi/Peter) has an stark edit at the top cutting out Alex's comments.  I have seen this in a couple other episodes that got repeated in 1993 - could this be the start of those episodes?

Also...lavender Take! was an interesting color choice.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2019, 12:07:56 AM »

So wait...the marquee board doesn't give off any light? Kinda surprising.
It's possible, but looking at the intro, it looks pretty dim.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2019, 12:55:24 AM »
What generates the blocks then? It would be wasteful to dedicate several hundred slide projectors to something that has only three settings or four if black/off counts.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2019, 01:38:05 AM »
Could it be that each block contains several bulbs, each of which is relatively low on wattage/lumens, but is able to diffuse its light in a way that fills the whole box? I don't know that any kind of slide projector rigging would be able to change so quickly and so reliably - look at the opening animations, mimicking chase lights at times, and consider that Press Your Luck only had 18 projectors running with three slides apiece, and still had its fair share of noticeable conk-outs.

Also, in the initial "starburst" animations, is there a layer of purple in there, or is that just a trick my eyes/the tape are playing as the lights switch rapidly between yellowish-white and blue?

The wall really is an amazing technical feat for 1983. Wish they had put as much into building the show it was on.

JMFabiano

« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
Could it be that each block contains several bulbs, each of which is relatively low on wattage/lumens, but is able to diffuse its light in a way that fills the whole box? I don't know that any kind of slide projector rigging would be able to change so quickly and so reliably - look at the opening animations, mimicking chase lights at times, and consider that Press Your Luck only had 18 projectors running with three slides apiece, and still had its fair share of noticeable conk-outs.

Also, in the initial "starburst" animations, is there a layer of purple in there, or is that just a trick my eyes/the tape are playing as the lights switch rapidly between yellowish-white and blue?

The wall really is an amazing technical feat for 1983. Wish they had put as much into building the show it was on.

Yes, I see the shade of purple too, only think it's in the opening. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.