Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95083 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2019, 11:26:25 PM »
NBC shows typically had appearance limits.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Bryce L.

« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2019, 12:06:11 AM »
Did NBC still have a winnings cap in 1983 or was a champion retired after some number of wins? There is some serious witchcraft happening in the Super Match end game.
According to Jon's comments at about 37:20 on this episode, five days was the limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkUYjbOl_WA

SuperMatch93

« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2019, 01:10:33 AM »
Blockbusters let people win up to $120,000, so either the cap is pretty high or nonexistent.

By '83 I'm pretty sure it was a cap on appearances, since Barbara Phillips' lot win on Sale that August was just over $150,000.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

JMFabiano

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
Interesting on tonight's MGHS - the word "midget" got muted in a Match Game question. I know the freshness date on that term for little people has long since passed, and it's now considered derogatory, but I was still surprised to hear it get dumped.

EDIT: So there's your blank filled in.

There's a precedent for this of course, as it happened on an MGPM episode not too long ago too. 

The first round of HS this episode was a pretty good game too. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

tvmitch

« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
Interesting on tonight's MGHS - the word "midget" got muted in a Match Game question. I know the freshness date on that term for little people has long since passed, and it's now considered derogatory, but I was still surprised to hear it get dumped.

It's not exclusive to MG/HS by any means - lots of this behavior from the era - but wow, have there been some cringeworthy moments like this so far in the run.

That poor woman contestant last week who had a high-pitched voice. Yes, we get it Fred T, she sounds like a Munchkin from Oz.
You should follow me on Twitter

JMFabiano

« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »

It's not exclusive to MG/HS by any means - lots of this behavior from the era - but wow, have there been some cringeworthy moments like this so far in the run.

That poor woman contestant last week who had a high-pitched voice. Yes, we get it Fred T, she sounds like a Munchkin from Oz.

And don't get me started on the Liz Taylor questions. 

Although many groups get lots more consideration these days, bodyshaming unfortunately is one area that still needs a heap of change. 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but did they tape all 5 Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour shows on one day, or was it spread over two?  It must have been one very long day if they did them all at once.

Anyone know?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2019, 08:10:31 PM »
Yes - most often 3 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday. Based on one schedule I've seen, the relative times they were in studio were 3 to 9 PM on Saturday and 1 to 5:00 PM on Sunday.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
Interesting on tonight's MGHS - the word "midget" got muted in a Match Game question.

Oh, that's what it was! I was wondering whether Mike Tyson was exceptionally litigious or something.

That also explains why I was so baffled by how everybody thought to give the answer "knees."

And immediately after Gene tried to prevent it by saying that those jokes would be too hacky.

This show really is an excellent representation of how '80s stand-up comedians typically performed, isn't it?

BrandonFG

« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2019, 10:53:27 PM »
Twice in tonight's episode, Edie McClurg took the long way around Robin Hood's barn to get to her answer, to the point of where the other celebrities made fun of her long-winded explanations. Jon also implied that she needed to speed it up to allow the returning champion to have a chance at a comeback.

I love her as an actress, but she was a much better panelist when she played Match Game about seven years later.

This show really is an excellent representation of how '80s stand-up comedians typically performed, isn't it?
This has the feel of 90% of Bob Stewart's 1970s pilots, where the guests were comedians who normally appeared at whatever comedy club. One of these days, I'll look up the episode guide to see just how many of these comedians went on to do a sitcom in the 80s.

1. Paul Provenza.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »
One of these days, I'll look up the episode guide to see just how many of these comedians went on to do a sitcom in the 80s.

1. Paul Provenza.

Am I the only one who thinks "Kids' Court" when he sees Paul's name???

BrandonFG

« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2019, 11:54:43 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks "Kids' Court" when he sees Paul's name???

/the "Judge-O-Meter" was my first exposure to VU meters
You are not. The theme played in my head earlier today.

/Ditto on the VU meter
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2019, 01:25:43 AM »
I shall be three.
Travis L. Eberle

gamed121683

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2019, 04:35:55 AM »
Make it four. Wasn’t he also on Empty Nest?

BrandonFG

« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
Make it four. Wasn’t he also on Empty Nest?
Yep. He played Dinah Manoff’s character’s artist boyfriend for a season, IIRC.