Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95105 times)

Pyramid80

Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
The audience must not be very amused, because Mother Mackenzie is going crazy with "YEE HOO!" all the time. I swear, between that, the "YEAH! OO! ALL RIGHT!" track, and the "WOOO! OW!" track, they're like the Wilhelm Scream of game shows.
Haha, love it!

aaron sica

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2019, 10:38:39 AM »
It is an interesting experiment/slow-motion car crash that I'm glad was attempted once but I'm also glad hasn't been retried.
Spin-off question:  Are there two shows that you believe would meld better?  Or is MG-HSH the "peak" of a hybrid format?

Although not melded together in reality, the Card Sharks and Classic Concentration computer games (at least for the Commodore 64) had the same avatars for the players, so I turned it into an "hour show" and had the winner of one play the "returning champion" on the other.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
Spin-off question:  Are there two shows that you believe would meld better?

Kidding, and it would never happen, but how about the SPLIT SECOND/JEOPARDY! hour. The orange set splits at the end of the first half and the winner walks upstage to face two new challengers in JEOPARDY.

Or, hey, give the first player to count down to zero a bonus prize (a la the Singleton) and then keep playing until a second player reaches zero, then BOTH of them go upstage to face yesterday's returning champion. Or Ken Jennings hosts SPLIT, hands the mic to Alex (or his successor), and becomes a lowly contestant for J!.

I know, I know, it would never happen, but it would be an epic set reveal.

czambo@mac.com

JMFabiano

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »
1983.  The only year that answering "Mr. Smith" would be recognized. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:18:14 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »
Spin-off question:  Are there two shows that you believe would meld better?

Perhaps not better, but two that come to mind are Wheel and Scrabble's second format. Two Scrabble qualifiers in a row, replace the two sprint rounds with a three-round game of Wheel, and the winner goes on to the Bonus Sprint.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

chrisholland03

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »
Wordplay and Tic Tac Dough just because The Joker's Wild with definitions didn't work.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »
LMAD played on Pluto this evening (on iOS for me, at least). I couldn’t watch the whole thing due to another commitment, but I dipped in during a commercial break, & the show came back from break as normal. Not sure what the deal was last week, but (hopefully) it’s been resolved.

TimK2003

« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
LMAD played on Pluto this evening (on iOS for me, at least). I couldn’t watch the whole thing due to another commitment, but I dipped in during a commercial break, & the show came back from break as normal. Not sure what the deal was last week, but (hopefully) it’s been resolved.

Pluto's is back to normal, though Monday Night's $ale (2nd broadcast) was odd:  The show looked blurry throughout the show -- Card Sharks, right after $ale, looked okay. And after the win, there were TWO different Jay Stewart audio descriptions of the jewelry playing at the same time (tack that one up to the actual program itself, and not Pluto)

JMFabiano

« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
I noticed they had Nedra Volz play both portions for all five shows...
I had a theory about this.  Nedra Volz was 75 at the time, and the powers that be felt it may have been too difficult to scale the stairs to the top tier.  Watch how slow she is crossing the stage during the open.

Yeah think David L. Lander was on the MG panel for all of his week, for the same reasons.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Actually, Nedra was on that panel too...can't recall if they kept her on MG the whole time though....2 eps of that week were on the trading circuit...

(The taping of his MG/HS episode was when David discovered symptoms of MS showing up...)

I'd wager Bill Cullen will be on the MG panel all five shows if and when his appearances come up. 

Scrabbleship

« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
Odd bit of trivia, and I think I'm right about this.  There appears to be only one week of MGHS shows in which all eight guest celebrities are still alive.  That would be the special St Elsewhere week that aired in March of 1984.  It featured seven of the younger cast members (including Ed Begley Jr and Howie Mandel)...and 70-year-old Norman Lloyd.  Lloyd turns 105 next month.  Probably.

I had thought of that too but I think the second-to-last week has all of the non-Rayburns still with us: Marty Cohen, Alex Cord, Didi Conn, Audrey Landers, Judy Landers, Michael Lembeck, Anne-Marie Martin, Jimmie Walker - https://web.archive.org/web/20041207145746/http://www.matchgame.org/episodeguides/matchgame/mghs84.html

I think week 3, the week that Buzzr is currently on, also qualifies: Lydia Cornell, Richard Kline, Edie McClurg, Gloria Loring, Marty Cohen, Brian [Stokes] Mitchell, Paul Provenza, and James [Jamie] Widdowes are IIRC still with us.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »
I'd wager Bill Cullen will be on the MG panel all five shows if and when his appearances come up.

WHEN, dammit!  WHEN his episodes show up!

(Please, Buzzr, please.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

catnap1972

« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »
Did fee plugs slip by Buzzr's editing of LMaD before last night or was that a first for those?

BillCullen1

« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2019, 11:28:13 AM »

WHEN, dammit!  WHEN his episodes show up!

(Please, Buzzr, please.)

The celeb list (episode guide) for the MGHSH has Cullen on during week 12. Let's hope Buzzr goes that far into the show's run.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »

I remember that week and can confirm that is the case. He also did not do the crossing, he was the first introduced and standing at his chair with the spotlight on him, I want to say.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »
And McLean Stevenson.

Now I haven't seen a syndie MG for awhile, but don't remember McLean being awful or anything.  I remember him usually doing a good job as a panelist.  Better than being a star on the sitcoms that weren't M*A*S*H at least.

I remember that week and can confirm that is the case. He also did not do the crossing, he was the first introduced and standing at his chair with the spotlight on him, I want to say.

Yep.  Just like they did for Lander. 

And now I am wondering...did David start feeling weak during the series of his tapings or at the beginning?  Meaning, he may have done a regular intro at first, then later got the accommodating version?  I forget the account from People Magazine, was it? 

(of course, he may have noticed on the first episode and they reshot his intro)