Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30  (Read 95127 times)

bwood

Re: New Buzzr lineup effective 9/30
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »
Has anyone been having trouble watching Let's Make a Deal on PlutoTV or Stirr? I have them on all day and when LMAD starts at 7:30 on Stirr, it immediately goes to commercial and never comes back from them. At 8, P+ starts on time. Switch over to Pluto and they are also in an endless loop of commercials until P+. Not sure what the deal is, I watch everything else. Is it just a fluke technical issue with the streaming services or are they blocking the show from streaming for some reason?

chrisholland03

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
The Buzzr stream has been on the fritz for me most of the day.  WML this morning was a black screen with the Buzzr bug in the corner, picked back up with $ale.  It died again at some point in the Password 66 episode, was intermittent up until about 30 minutes ago.  I haven't pulled the modem log, but some of the behavior appears to be on their end.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:12:44 PM by chrisholland03 »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »
I watched Super Password and Tattletales today on Pluto without incident, but I’m also not getting LMAD.
@lambertman

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
The Buzzr stream has been on the fritz for me most of the day.  WML this morning was a black screen with the Buzzr bug in the corner, picked back up with $ale.  It died again at some point in the Password 66 episode, was intermittent up until about 30 minutes ago.  I haven't pulled the modem log, but some of the behavior appears to be on their end.

I switched it on to watch 80s LMaD tonight.  The show kicked on for a frame or two, then went to a commercial break that literally didn't end for the duration of the show, almost as though Pluto was choosing to black out the program for some reason. The actual commercial fill was Pluto's usual rotation, as thought it had just been switched on automatically, so a few options:

*Someone at Pluto decided to blackout the show.  The commercial feed being the computerized mix feels like a minimum of human intervention.
*Someone at Pluto was asleep at the switch (which would be weird to be exactly at program start)
*Buzzr transmitted a commercial start tone/signal accidentally that they forgot to revoke/stop
*Buzzr transmitted a start tone/signal to allow affiliate broadcasters (incl. Pluto) to opt out of LMAD (either as an availability or possibly some contractual issue with LMaD?  This literally didn't happen in this slot last week)

chargeradiocom

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2019, 09:24:01 PM »
I saw it on Pluto this evening as well. However, LMAD was running on the website and KlowdTV feeds. (As far as I can tell, KlowdTV uses the same straight feed that the website uses. No idea about the Fitzy TV feed, since Fitzy isn’t yet available on iOS or Roku—the platforms I mostly use.)

*Buzzr transmitted a commercial start tone/signal accidentally that they forgot to revoke/stop
*Buzzr transmitted a start tone/signal to allow affiliate broadcasters (incl. Pluto) to opt out of LMAD (either as an availability or possibly some contractual issue with LMaD?  This literally didn't happen in this slot last week)
The tone is my guess, since it‘s affecting both Pluto and STIRR but not the web or Klowd feeds.

Now, whether it’s a technical glitch or intentional to black out the show, I’m not sure. (I wouldn’t think they’d intentionally schedule a show that would have to be blacked out as their lead in to prime time, considering how they’ve plunged headlong into streaming, but who knows?)

PPatters

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2019, 10:21:57 PM »
Comparing the episodes of MGHSH we saw from week 1 and the ones we’re seeing now from week 2 to the one we saw this past weekend from later in the run, the differences are stark to me. Obviously, the game hasn’t changed much, but there are several things I noticed. First, Gene seemed less at ease later in the run. He just wasn’t his normal self. Obviously, I’ve only seen the one episode from later in the run, but if that was the norm later in the run, I can see how that would’ve been off-putting. Additionally, the chemistry seemed weaker amongst the panel in the later episode *despite the fact that most of them all worked together.* This obviously would change week to week, but combining a more aloof Gene with a weak panel, the show was PAINFUL.

I did find Jon to be better than others on this board felt, I believe. He was still getting used to things (Gene had to prompt him to ask Shannon about her movies), but he had a good attitude, played both the role of host and panelist well, and was personable. Would Peter Marshall have been better? Yes, maybe. But, I didn’t find Jon offensive by any stretch.

If you’re GOING to combine two shows, I get why you’d combine these two. And if you’re going to combine these two, I like the format they used. But, I don’t see any advantage to combining the shows from an audience standpoint — these shows are better alone. (I understand that it’s gonna be cheaper to produce one 1-hour game show than two 30-minute game shows like this, so there’s an obvious economic advantage. But clearly, that advantage didn’t seem to work out.)

For Match Game, I’ve always preferred just two question rounds because you just get more of the comedy from the contestants. I can tell they still edit out some of the time the celebrities are writing, much like syndicated Match Game would. Similarly with Hollywood Squares, I understand Mark Goodson’s obsession with not wanting to provide zingers, but moving to mostly multiple choice questions really removed most of the fun because then the celebrity couldn’t even really think up a funny one-liner on the spot. At the end of the day, I think, it seems like the production team wanted more GAME. But, I personally never watched either show for the game. The games are ultimately “fill in the blank” and “tic-tac-toe” — those aren’t ultimately super exciting games. I watch for the celebrities and the jokes and the back and forth. This game really took away a lot of that and I think it suffered for it.
Patrick

BrandonFG

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2019, 10:52:33 PM »
I'm watching the Hollywood Squares portion now.

Removing the zingers doesn't hurt the show necessarily, but it doesn't speed up the pace either. I'm actually okay with your opponent being able to win the round if you (dis)agree incorrectly. Requires you to use your own discretion, and prevents a "You fool!"-type round that goes on forever. That said, if you're the producer watching the budget, you might breeze through quite a few games. Tonight had four or so matches, and I kept looking at the clock to see whether they were done.

Jon wasn't a bad host, but he was out of his element here, esp. next to Gene. He also seemed to let the panelists take over and talk too much at times. All moot 36 years later, but with this replacing Fantasy, I imagine Peter Marshall would've had a hard time taping one show along with its replacement, unless he left the former early.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2019, 11:46:49 PM »
The "watching the budget" part seems to be well in hand here. It's an hour show that tops out at awarding roughly $1,500 in the front game, and a flashy jackpot that only has a 1/9 chance of being won, assuming the contestant nails the first half of the bonus round. You don't manage the budget on this one squeezing $500 out of the Squares, you do it by making the Head-To-Head Match question a little more open-ended.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

catnap1972

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »
LMAD advanced to 85-86 today w/Dean Goss announcing

chargeradiocom

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2019, 08:27:54 PM »
This evening, LMAD was still blocked on Pluto. They were playing an ep of Classic Concentration in its place. However, as far as I could tell, LMAD was playing on all other feeds, including STIRR this time.

So apparently they’re aware there’s an issue. (And CC isn’t a bad substitution.) But be it contractual or technical, it’s odd that the issue would be exclusive to Pluto.

tvmitch

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
This evening, LMAD was still blocked on Pluto. They were playing an ep of Classic Concentration in its place. However, as far as I could tell, LMAD was playing on all other feeds, including STIRR this time.

So apparently they’re aware there’s an issue. (And CC isn’t a bad substitution.) But be it contractual or technical, it’s odd that the issue would be exclusive to Pluto.
Perhaps something to do with CBS, Viacom, and the current LMAD. Just thinking of possible dots to connect.
You should follow me on Twitter

bwood

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2019, 09:03:05 PM »
I was successfully watching LMaD on Stirr tonight and I heard that Pluto was showing CC, as some have said above. I switched over to Pluto around 7:50 to see, and it was also showing LMaD. Not sure what happened there and why CC was showing for some. Also not sure how they could even manage to show a totally different show since they all appear to use the same master feed.

Now there is a funky aspect ratio issue going on with both feeds and everything is smaller than normal. Zooming in on TV loses some quality. Hopefully they address that next.

TimK2003

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2019, 11:22:05 PM »
I was successfully watching LMaD on Stirr tonight and I heard that Pluto was showing CC, as some have said above. I switched over to Pluto around 7:50 to see, and it was also showing LMaD. Not sure what happened there and why CC was showing for some. Also not sure how they could even manage to show a totally different show since they all appear to use the same master feed.

Now there is a funky aspect ratio issue going on with both feeds and everything is smaller than normal. Zooming in on TV loses some quality. Hopefully they address that next.

And speaking of STIRR, their Family Feud Huddle spot is quickly getting long in the tooth.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »
Interesting. Hopefully this means that, whatever the issue is, they’re on their way to getting it fixed on all platforms.

If you don’t mind me asking, what streaming device were you using (Roku, Fire, etc)? And in your Pluto program guide, did it say LMAD was supposed to be airing? FWIW, I was checking it on my iPhone (couldn’t conveniently use my Roku at the time); my Pluto guide said Classic Concentration, though STIRR said LMAD.

I know there are some differences between devices even within the same service provider—remember when BUZZR was on Pluto for every platform except Roku for a few weeks? Also, I’m not sure how this works for BUZZR, but I know for some channels, the feeds are slightly different, even before taking into account the Pluto/STIRR/etc. ads. For example, I’ve noticed with WeatherNation, if it comes back from Pluto’s ads a little early, it cuts to WeatherNation’s own ads (playing along with the weather ticker); however, that ad load isn’t exactly the same as the ads on WN’s native stream. And WN on Roku Channel appears to be fed by a different source; if it comes back from the Roku Channel’s ads a little early, it just plays music with the weather ticker & a “WN will return shortly” graphic. Not sure why they have all these different feeds running, but whatever works for them, I guess.

I’m seeing the aspect ratio issue too, on nearly every BUZZR stream except KlowdTV.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2019, 04:03:17 AM »
So I sat through my first MGHS episode on Buzzr and here's what I found:

Match Game is Match Game. Nothing really different but I never really enjoyed watching Fred Travalena on any episode he was on.

My main criticism with the show has always been with the Hollywood Squares portion. I never liked the idea of a win by default but here, considering the pacing, you really have to have the rule in place. So I grew to accept it. With that settled, why couldn't they just do a simple 2 out of 3 match, or 3 out of 5?

And I still find Jon's style incredibly annoying. It's like he was trying to make "you were right to agree" a catchphrase against its will.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022