Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What happens during the commercials?  (Read 4785 times)

Neumms

Re: What happens during the commercials?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »
They love to play pop music during the breaks at Wheel.

Given the dated, crummy quality of their theme and cues, I can only imagine how fresh the pop music must be. "The Pina Colada Song" anyone?

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »
They love to play pop music during the breaks at Wheel.

Given the dated, crummy quality of their theme and cues, I can only imagine how fresh the pop music must be. "The Pina Colada Song" anyone?
Been to a few tapings this year and it's surprisingly current. Makes you wonder why it doesn't translate over to the puzzles or music package.

It's also referential. One taping I went to had a contestant who was a Taylor Swift fan and during the first break following the contestant interview they played something from her most recent album, if I remember correctly.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

tidefan12

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
When I was a contestant on Weakest Link (syndie), each of the 6 of us had a PA assigned to us that took us somewhere off set within the studio and the warmup guy chatted it up with the audience.  George Gray was only around when the cameras were rolling, so the only interaction we had with him happened as part of the game. 

On Pyramid(Donny Osmond version), there was slightly more interaction with Donny during breaks.  He came over and posed for pics with each contestant and chatted with us briefly during one break.  And the only time we were separated from our celeb partners was during the break before the Winner's Circles.  The contestant coordinator came and sat in the celeb spot to drill us on playing and I'm told the celebs on that version were off set somewhere with the production staff.  I don't recall whether or not there was a warmup guy on that one. 

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
When I saw a taping session of John Davidson-hosted Hollywood Squares (Spring, 1987), they had John record personalized station promos for affiliates during the "commercial breaks".  As I recall, the general theme of the promos was "It's Hip To Be Square", riding the coat-tails of the then-recent Huey Lewis hit.

vtown7

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 08:01:22 PM »
When I was a contestant on Weakest Link (syndie), each of the 6 of us had a PA assigned to us that took us somewhere off set within the studio and the warmup guy chatted it up with the audience.  George Gray was only around when the cameras were rolling, so the only interaction we had with him happened as part of the game. 

Side note: when I saw in Price in 2017 George was more than happy to sign my Weakest Link mousepad (that I got at an Anne taping at the BBC in 2002).  He also was happy to hear what I had done with my winnings on the show 2 years prior.  Super nice guy.

WhammyPower

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
As I recall, the general theme of the promos was "It's Hip To Be Square", riding the coat-tails of the then-recent Huey Lewis hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BbbRTRHLXY