Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare canceled?  (Read 2762 times)

BrandonFG

Double Dare canceled?
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »
Marc Summers tweeted that a handful of episodes will air in the fall, and it looks like the live show will continue for a bit. It being a holiday weekend, I wouldn't expect any official word until Tuesday, so don't go into sky is falling mode just yet.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Re: Double Dare canceled?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:45:10 PM »
On Instagram, he was very clear that “...there will be no season three.”

Sucks.  It was one of the best reboots to date, and looked very promising.  I figured something was up when season two was nothing but specials.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B11pn6uDA2m/?igshid=1fy6sjvela1tq
--Matt

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 06:21:16 PM »
It started with nearly 2 million viewers for its premiere, but only half of that by the end of the week. Kids these days don't seem to have the pull toward game shows that we had growing up.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 06:55:46 PM »
Kids these days don't seem to have the pull toward game shows that we had growing up.

Perhaps kids aren't watching broadcast TV at the same rate? If this had been a series on YouTube, perhaps it would have had a bigger pull.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

JakeT

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 10:22:59 PM »
Kids these days don't seem to have the pull toward game shows that we had growing up.

Perhaps kids aren't watching broadcast TV at the same rate? If this had been a series on YouTube, perhaps it would have had a bigger pull.

The "Double Dare" reboot didn't air on broadcast TV...

JakeT

colonial

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 10:57:07 PM »
According to Nickandmore.com (which covers ratings and audience numbers for children's cable channels), DD went from a series premiere of 1.8M viewers to a low of 571K for a first run a few months later. Second season episodes looked to hover around 700K.

Younger viewers are turning to streaming options more and more, and I just have that feeling kids are not as interested in watching a show like DD online compared to, say, SpongeBob or Loud House. (Also, could one argue that DD 2019's target audience ended up being the parents who remember the 80s version.  There are so many options on cable, streaming, YouTube, etc for family friendly stunt based shows.)

You can also rerun episodes of SpongeBob, Paw Patrol, etc to the gills and maintain strong ratings. DD can't do that, and Nick is heavily invested in finding shows with strong repeat potential.

JD

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 10:58:44 PM »

erm...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

snowpeck

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »

erm...

What Jake was getting at was that broadcast TV and cable/satellite are two different things. Perhaps linear TV is a better term in this instance?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
I'd have to think that airing mini tournaments intermittently helped in killing the show. It needed to be on regularly to have a shot.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

weaklink75

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 05:24:12 PM »
I’m not shocked- the mini-tournament format never really clicked, and there are a lot more options then there were before.

cliffhanger285

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
Marc clarified that it wasn't a ratings issue.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
Looking at the initial tweet I mentioned, he says "Double Dare on tv has been cancelled!", emphasis mine. I get the impression from his tweet that he felt a bit blindsided by this.

I wonder if they're looking at Netflix or Hulu?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »
I think he was differentiating from the live show.
@lambertman

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
I think he was differentiating from the live show.
Good call. Strike the blindsided part from the record.