Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pennsylvania Game  (Read 11002 times)

AndyG

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 02:33:07 PM »
We here, in Sandusky, still have a local quiz game, although it's a few hours away from our area. Our PBS affifliate, has a quiz game called High School Challenge, and it's been running for as long as I can remember. Our Quiz Bowl team almost got on it, but unfortunatly, it wasn't in our area(We never played against North Branch, or Flint). Oh well, at least we made it to State Games.

Matt Ottinger

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 02:55:26 PM »
High School Challenge
I'm figuring that you're talking about the Flint, MI version on WFUM.  It's actually even older than my show, having started way back in 1983.  I believe that once upon a time there were other specific \"High School Challenge\" programs franchised across the country, but Flint's might very well be the only one left.

This thread got me digging a little, and I've found fourteen high school quiz programs currently running on local stations across the country.  I'll post the list in a different thread later, and I hope any of you who know of specific additions will chime in!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2003, 03:56:22 PM »
For those not familiar, \"The Pennsylvania Game\" is a production of Penn State and filmed in University Park, PA. It features multiple choice questions through most of the game about people, places and things that have something to do with Pennsylvania. Between questions, clues are given about the \"Mystery Pennsylvanian\". Supposedly the people who play the game are celebrities, but they're probably minor celebrities out of Central PA, because I've never heard of any of them.

One of the guests listed for this season does have a certain amount of national celebrity--Eliott Abrams being the founder of Accu-Weather, the nation's largest private weather forecasting service, his voice is heard frequently on the many radio stations that subscribe to the Accu-Weather service.  Granted, it's not *big* celebrity, but considering the success of Abrams' company, I don't think he's complaining much.

Steve Gavazzi

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2003, 07:59:09 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 02:56 PM\']
For those not familiar, "The Pennsylvania Game" is a production of Penn State and filmed in University Park, PA. It features multiple choice questions through most of the game about people, places and things that have something to do with Pennsylvania. Between questions, clues are given about the "Mystery Pennsylvanian". Supposedly the people who play the game are celebrities, but they're probably minor celebrities out of Central PA, because I've never heard of any of them.

One of the guests listed for this season does have a certain amount of national celebrity--Eliott Abrams being the founder of Accu-Weather, the nation's largest private weather forecasting service, his voice is heard frequently on the many radio stations that subscribe to the Accu-Weather service.  Granted, it's not *big* celebrity, but considering the success of Abrams' company, I don't think he's complaining much. [/quote]
 You know, I might have to try to tune into that.  In addition to the Accu-Weather stuff, Eliott is also one of the forecasters on Weather World, WPSX's daily 15-minute show about (what else?) the weather.  He's got a great sense of humor that I unfortunately can't really describe well in a post on a message board.  Suffice it to say, though, that the guy's fun to watch.

ChuckNet

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 12:25:51 PM »
Actually, Lynn hosted the show for a few years when the revival first came on. (The current show is actually its second incarnation.)

Didn't know that. BTW, the host of the current version is Scott Bruce...does he have any other credits that you Central Pennsylvanians might know about?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious \"Chuckie Baby\")

inturnaround

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2003, 01:43:02 PM »
Yes, the initial series was hosted by Wendy Williams, now the voice of \"The Pennsylvania Game\".

I have no idea how many times he's said \"The answer is \"

The show is very high tech now. The only time they resort to the Sir Marks-a-lot is when they do the Mystery Pennsylvanian guesses.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 01:43:23 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Gameshowhost

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2003, 04:20:53 PM »
Washington, D.C. has a long-running high school quiz called \"It's Academic\" on the NBC affiliate, Channel 4.  Mac MacGarry(sp?) is host for this show, now in it's 42nd or 43rd year!

I hosted \"High Q,\" a local high school quiz using the College Bowl format from 1984-1998 until it was cancelled on our CBS affiliate WOWK-TV, Channel 13, Huntington, West Virginia due to the sponsor leaving town and the TV station doing NOTHING to replace the sponsor.  I am in talks with Marshall University to resurrect it, since the local stations in this market sadly have no interest.

ChuckNet

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2003, 12:30:01 PM »
The show is very high tech now. The only time they resort to the Sir Marks-a-lot is when they do the Mystery Pennsylvanian guesses.

Indeed...for all other questions, the players' guesses are displayed via small monitors on their podiums.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Steve Gavazzi

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2003, 02:09:41 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 12:43 PM\'] Yes, the initial series was hosted by Wendy Williams, now the voice of "The Pennsylvania Game". [/quote]
 Dear God, I've been trying to remember his name for about 15 years!  Thank you!

If I remember correctly, he also used to host a local PBS talk show called \"Taking Note\" (now known as \"Take Note\"); I believe Patty Satalia replaced him on that at about the same time that he stopped hosting The Pennsylvania Game.

Adam Nedeff

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2003, 04:46:47 PM »
I hosted \"High Q,\" a local high school quiz using the College Bowl format from 1984-1998 until it was cancelled on our CBS affiliate WOWK-TV, Channel 13, Huntington, West Virginia due to the sponsor leaving town and the TV station doing NOTHING to replace the sponsor. I am in talks with Marshall University to resurrect it, since the local stations in this market sadly have no interest.

Welcome to the newsgroup, Ernie!

zachhoran

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2003, 09:16:30 PM »
Another locally produced Q&A show no one has mentioned is the Pacific Northwest 80s favorite On the Spot, which aired on I think KGO in Portland and possibly a couple other stations(TV Game SHow Magazine reported in 1986 that there were negotiations to show it on stations in that region other than KGO)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2003, 03:22:26 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 06:16 PM\'] which aired on I think KGO in Portland and possibly a couple other stations [/quote]
 That would be a neat trick, Zach, since KGO are the call letters of a television and radio station out of San Francisco.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2003, 08:22:18 AM »
Yes KGO is SF, my mistake, but KGW I believe is the call letters of the station carrying On the Spot

Dolemite3303

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2003, 02:27:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 01:55 PM\']I'm figuring that you're talking about the Flint, MI version on WFUM.  It's actually even older than my show, having started way back in 1983.  I believe that once upon a time there were other specific \"High School Challenge\" programs franchised across the country, but Flint's might very well be the only one left.

[/quote]
After spending the last two years appearing on both shows (12 times on Quizbusters and 10 on High School Challenge) I'd have to say that Quizbusters is a much better show in every respect imaginable.  I'm not quite sure that HSC has changed at all in the last 20 years, while Quizbusters sharpens its image (and since this year, its questions) every couple of years.  From what I've seen online of other programs, I'd have to say that Quizbusters is the best looking high school quiz show in the nation right now.  And the host is somewhat tolerable, too. :)

Matt Ottinger

The Pennsylvania Game
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2003, 03:33:19 PM »
I'd have to say that Quizbusters is the best looking high school quiz show in the nation right now. And the host is somewhat tolerable, too. :)

Yeah, that's easy to say when you *win*!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.