Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New board game created by Richard Garfield and Ken Jennings coming soon!  (Read 6341 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Re: New board game created by Richard Garfield and Ken Jennings coming soon!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »
Also, who says Ken hasn't invested money into this to begin with?

I'm not on Kickstarter often enough to truly measure, but $10,000 seems like a low bar to clear, though part of that may be the sticker price.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
I'm not on Kickstarter often enough to truly measure, but $10,000 seems like a low bar to clear, though part of that may be the sticker price.

I'm guessing the phrases "Richard Garfield" and "party game" raised a couple of intrigued eyebrows, since that party game the Through The Ages guy did has done alright....
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gamed121683

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »
The Kickstarter funding is a huge success since they hit their $10,000 goal in three hours. About a dozen years ago, Ken was the subject of University Games' Can You Beat Ken. You had to try to beat him around the board to reach the goal of $2.5 million. Ken was asked all the questions in the game. He did miss a few. One question was to complete the Volkswagen slogan "Think ____." The answer was BIG. Ken's answer was Hitler.

Wasn’t the VW slogan “Think SMALL”?

BillCullen1

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
Indeed, the VW motto was "Think Small." Mea culpa.

Bob Zager

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »
Another possibility is if not enough pledges were made to help, it would've been a hint that not enough enthusiastic people would be out there, wanting to buy a copy of the game.

Somewhere in my belongings I have an old episode of 20/20, with the three makers of Trivial Pursuit.  Chris Haney, one of the men, who has since passed away, answered the question of how they got investors with, "...We told them, if you're willing to lose money, we're going to lose it for you!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »
Tabletop games account for something crazy like 30% of *all* of Kickstarter's revenue, so it's almost expected for games to go through Kickstarter at this point.  Even actual board game publishers would rather go through Kickstarter and put all the risk on the customers than sell things the "old" way.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
So, if a Kickstarter was needed, does that mean Ken Jennings has blown through all the J! money?

JakeT
Past the kickstarter explanation earlier,  let's try to stay out of people's pocketbooks unless it's coming straight from the source.

I would also argue on top of Kickstarter being a common means to get people to buy board games, I would imagine that trivia games haven't exactly flown off the shelves since Trivia Pursuit in '82. Kickstarter allows for them to set a low bar and create "small batch" board games if there's low demand. That being said, they're over $100K, so for those of you that ordered, let's get these stretch goals hammered out.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Neumms

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »
Tabletop games account for something crazy like 30% of *all* of Kickstarter's revenue, so it's almost expected for games to go through Kickstarter at this point.

Wow, that's amazing. It would've been cool if Ken offered more than one example of the questions, but then, I guess a ton of people like the one he had.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »
Why give out more free content than necessary?
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 02:08:32 PM »
Why give out more free content than necessary?
On one hand, it's no different than the sample question often seen on the back of any trivia box game. On the other, when you only have 30 days to maxamize your revenue stream, a few more questions wouldn't hurt to help hook people.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Gsguy

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:19 AM »
Was lucky enough to win a signed copy on Instagram last night.

Gsguy

Sorry to bump this old thread but these are finally shipping. Mine are due next Wednesday.