Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Actual game shows that seem like fake ones  (Read 4863 times)

whewfan

Re: Actual game shows that seem like fake ones
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
I'm not sure if this would qualify, but Treasure Hunt sort of had a "sketch comedy" feel. The contestant only has to make one decision, then just about anything can happen as the cast of regulars act out a sketch or Geoff engages in a roller coaster of teases and fakes. My favorite moment, I don't recall ever seeing it on the air, but perhaps it was something that was edited out... A cast member regular, dressed as a witch, comes out with a pie. Normally, the contestant only has to watch what's going on and is only involved if Geoff engages the player in some way. In this case, the contestant, sensing the pie might be intended for her, grabs the witches hand causing the witch to pie herself in the face! Geoff is laughing uncontrollably.

Bob Zager

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 11:05:23 AM »
GSN's Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, featuring what was like a continuing comedy story, was introduced with the disclaimer (by Charlie O'Donnell), "The following is a real game show with real contestants and real prizes."

Chuck Barris' "Gong Show," and $1.98 Beauty Show" were presented more for entertainment .

How about Chris Bearde's "The Cheap Show?"

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »
I would also list the David Sparks version of The Cross Wits -- if only for the game show hosts episode in the viewing circuit.   

Having a sitcom episode with the main character wanting to become a game show host.  That CW episode would be the dream sequence.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
"You Don't Know Jack" and "Distraction" come to mind.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »
I know it was a Match Game knockoff, but I'd add Hollywood Connection. Big Deal was so over-the-top, I'd say it had games that you'd only see in a sitcom game show.

I always felt YDKJ missed the point of what made the computer game so fun. The computer game was the antithesis of a game show, executed without the blatant wink-and-nod that the ABC version did every five minutes, all the way down to having Paul Reubens play an obnoxious, smarmy host. I thought Idiot Savants pulled off the smart ass, irreverent game show format much better.

I second Jim's Free 4 All. I've seen that show's setup in quite a few sitcoms...a Wayans Bros. episode with Fred Willard as the host comes to mind.

I'm not sure if this would qualify, but Treasure Hunt sort of had a "sketch comedy" feel. The contestant only has to make one decision, then just about anything can happen as the cast of regulars act out a sketch or Geoff engages in a roller coaster of teases and fakes.
I'd say no, mainly because a lot of Chuck Barris's formats were already razor thin or were like a satirical commentary of the genre. I mean, how many sitcoms have episodes with someone appearing on a Dating or Newlywed Game-type show?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

whewfan

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
GSN's Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, featuring what was like a continuing comedy story, was introduced with the disclaimer (by Charlie O'Donnell), "The following is a real game show with real contestants and real prizes."

Chuck Barris' "Gong Show," and $1.98 Beauty Show" were presented more for entertainment .

The Cheap Show was definitely a parody of a game show that was at the same time an actual game show. For those that haven't seen it, the game has two contestants and two celebs. A question is asked of both celebs. One celeb gives a truthful answer, the other, a lie. The contestant has to pick who told the right answer. The first two questions are worth 1 point, but the third question is worth 20 points, so obviously the first two questions hardly matter. If the contestant should answer wrong, that person gets a "penalty", which usually involves a pie in the face or some other thing that involves getting messy.

The show had a number of gags. One running gag is that there's a third celeb that's a "no show". Two such no shows were President Nixon and Henry Ford. There's also chintzy, junky prizes modeled by a... homely looking lady. Janelle Price, as Wanda, was Dick's co-host, who acted quite similarly to the Tea Time Lady on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. The show's logo and sign would also come crashing down.

The bonus round involved a large spinning wheel with 10 wedges with large holes, and Oscar the Wonder Rodent. The player picked the hole he thought Oscar would enter first, and if he was right, he won a car. Otherwise, the player would win a consolation prize.

The credits also had gags in it, much like the Zucker Brothers films Airplane! and Naked Gun.

Bob Newhart apparently loved the show and asked to be on it frequently.

When I saw the only rotating episode, I'll admit I found it amusing, but if they do the exact same jokes show for show, I don't think I'd find it too funny after a few shows. I liked Holey Moley for the first couple shows, wondering if it too was a "one joke show" and for me, I did lose interest as it wasn't so funny watching contestants get whacked by a windmill or falling into water over and over.

On Match Game, Gene asked Dick Martin if The Cheap Show was still on, and he said "I hope not!"

So, yes, I can see a show like this being a subject of a very bad sitcom. With due respect to Geoff Edwards, the Double Dare-like game show he hosted on Small Wonder was definitely cheap laughs. Geoff told me years ago that he was allowed to provide some of his own lines as the writers didn't really know how to write for a game show host.  He ad-libbed the line "Sorry I'm late, but someone stole my BRAND NEW CAR!"

Mike Tennant

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
With due respect to Geoff Edwards, the Double Dare-like game show he hosted on Small Wonder was definitely cheap laughs. Geoff told me years ago that he was allowed to provide some of his own lines as the writers didn't really know how to write for a game show host.
FTFY

That Don Guy

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »

The Cheap Show was definitely a parody of a game show that was at the same time an actual game show. For those that haven't seen it, the game has two contestants and two celebs. A question is asked of both celebs. One celeb gives a truthful answer, the other, a lie. The contestant has to pick who told the right answer. The first two questions are worth 1 point, but the third question is worth 20 points, so obviously the first two questions hardly matter. If the contestant should answer wrong, that person gets a "penalty", which usually involves a pie in the face or some other thing that involves getting messy.

The show had a number of gags. One running gag is that there's a third celeb that's a "no show". Two such no shows were President Nixon and Henry Ford. There's also chintzy, junky prizes modeled by a... homely looking lady. Janelle Price, as Wanda, was Dick's co-host, who acted quite similarly to the Tea Time Lady on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. The show's logo and sign would also come crashing down.

The bonus round involved a large spinning wheel with 10 wedges with large holes, and Oscar the Wonder Rodent. The player picked the hole he thought Oscar would enter first, and if he was right, he won a car. Otherwise, the player would win a consolation prize.

The credits also had gags in it, much like the Zucker Brothers films Airplane! and Naked Gun.

When I saw the only rotating episode, I'll admit I found it amusing, but if they do the exact same jokes show for show, I don't think I'd find it too funny after a few shows. I liked Holey Moley for the first couple shows, wondering if it too was a "one joke show" and for me, I did lose interest as it wasn't so funny watching contestants get whacked by a windmill or falling into water over and over.

On Match Game, Gene asked Dick Martin if The Cheap Show was still on, and he said "I hope not!"

So, yes, I can see a show like this being a subject of a very bad sitcom. With due respect to Geoff Edwards, the Double Dare-like game show he hosted on Small Wonder was definitely cheap laughs. Geoff told me years ago that he was allowed to provide some of his own lines as the writers didn't really know how to write for a game show host.  He ad-libbed the line "Sorry I'm late, but someone stole my BRAND NEW CAR!"

Pardon me for being pedantic, but there are a couple of minor corrections needed to your description.

First of all, each contestant had a partner; the two partners sat in "the punishment pit" and had stuff dropped on them - if the contestant answering the question got it right, the opponent's partner got punished; otherwise, the answering player's partner got punished. The cheap prizes you mentioned went to the contestant whose partner didn't get punished.

Second, there were 12 numbers in the bonus round, and the "consolation prizes" were actually two prizes, that Wanda would read as if it was a single prize. For example, "It's a Refrigerator Trip to Hawaii!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »
I'd throw "Oblivious" into this category as well.

whewfan

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2019, 05:08:30 PM »

Pardon me for being pedantic, but there are a couple of minor corrections needed to your description.

First of all, each contestant had a partner; the two partners sat in "the punishment pit" and had stuff dropped on them - if the contestant answering the question got it right, the opponent's partner got punished; otherwise, the answering player's partner got punished. The cheap prizes you mentioned went to the contestant whose partner didn't get punished.

Second, there were 12 numbers in the bonus round, and the "consolation prizes" were actually two prizes, that Wanda would read as if it was a single prize. For example, "It's a Refrigerator Trip to Hawaii!"

Thanks! That's what I get for not re-watching the show to be sure I've got everything straight.

Long live Jeopardy!

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
Shop 'til You Drop (Roberto 2003-05 version)